Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bit of an interesting stat about the Eagles and Redskins now with McNabb in Washington.

Puff Dragon

The redzone offense during the Reid era was always a bit shaky and especially poor the past few seasons. While Reid and McNabb shared the blame it was mostly Reid who people thought was the problem.

However currently the Eagles have the #1 ranked redzone offense in the league while interestingly the Redskins have the #32 ranked redzone offense in the league. The one major different variable in this? McNabb.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

In fact the Redskins redzone offense has so far in 2010 been far worse than what it was in 2009.

You think there's only 1 major different variable?

Wow

When did I say that there was only 1 major different variable? I said the one major one, the biggest one, is the guy who was on the Eagles when they struggled in the redzone who is now on the Redskins where they are now struggling worse then what they were with Zorn and Campbell. Now the offense that was struggling in the Redzone for years with that Qb is now featuring the best redzone offense in the league without that QB.

It definitely is too early to tell, and Vick is throwing those numbers for the Eagles out of whack.

However, it is interesting to see how this pans out. I'm sure most of you remember Oldfan's thread about a 2-QB system that arose mainly off the idea that Mcnabb was a poor redzone QB because of his inaccuracy on short throws.

This thread needs to be updated weekly, and then we should revisit Oldfan's thread since there was definitely a good discussion going on in there about this very thing.

When did I say that there was only 1 major different variable? I said the one major one, the biggest one, is the guy who was on the Eagles when they struggled in the redzone who is now on the Redskins where they are now struggling worse then what they were with Zorn and Campbell. Now the offense that was struggling in the Redzone for years with that Qb is now featuring the best redzone offense in the league without that QB.

You don't think changing offensive scheme is a major factor?

You don't think having a new playcaller has an effect?

You don't think their QB being Mike Vick has a special effect different from any QB in the league except for Vince Young?

What is McNabb's QB rating in the RZ what is the percentage of runs vs passes in the RZ?

What happended on each passing attempt? Drop, Bad read, Bad pass etc...

What happened on the run attempts?

I could go on and on with major variables that could effect RZ production.

You have to go further to prove a cause and effect relationship es[ecially in football.

McNabb has never been that QB who throws to a location on the field except on deep routes. That cannon of an arm created this problem for him. On the shorter routes he guns the ball AT the receiver. He's never been good at the timing portion of those routes, however his arm strength made up for that.

He is who he is. As an Eagle fan whos seen every second of every game he's ever played I must admit I did grew tired of it. Why is it so hard for him to hit a receiver in stride on a stinking quick slant??? Puzzling! Is McNabb a great QB? I believe so. I appreciate the eleven years he gave the franchise but it was time for him to go. I digress.. McNabb will always be an average at best red zone QB. McNabb will always be HORRIBLE in the hurry up offense. McNabb will never understand the importance of speeding things up when the clock is running out. Those are all things I was able to live with because of the rest of his skills.

Final point. His passive/aggressive "woe as me, it wasnt my fault, I can't do anything wrong" attiude made me want to :puke:

YHis passive-aggressive attitude is a figment of the imaginations of those who think they can dictate what a player says and how he feels.

He was nothing but a stand-up guy. Always. He said the right things and did the right things and is the best player in the history of the franchise. Unfortuantely, some people started with a preconception of him and worked backwards to make reality fit that image.

However, it is interesting to see how this pans out. I'm sure most of you remember Oldfan's thread about a 2-QB system that arose mainly off the idea that Mcnabb was a poor redzone QB because of his inaccuracy on short throws.

Normally I'd say, yeah, we need to look at this, but as I recall vs. Dallas we had Armstrong with the fairly easy catch from a VERY WELL THROWN fade. That's one. Then we ran three times this past weekend. I think we need more time to see how McNabb will do here in the RZ but I don't think it's strictly on him yet.

Normally I'd say, yeah, we need to look at this, but as I recall vs. Dallas we had Armstrong with the fairly easy catch from a VERY WELL THROWN fade. That's one. Then we ran three times this past weekend. I think we need more time to see how McNabb will do here in the RZ but I don't think it's strictly on him yet.

I don't either... there's definitely no way to say it's strictly on him or even that it's on him at all thus far. However, we've got a long way to go and I think it's worth revisiting.

Archived