Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets admit it, Coaches also come to Washington past their prime.

HateYanksDukeCowboys

So you're telling me that if the Broncos coach Josh Daniels was inserted as our coach (same record as our team keep in mind), then you would recant everything said? Ya know, since that's obviously our problem...:rolleyes:

What I'm saying (and you're clearly missing my point as a broad swab at a common theme and not an individual person) is that if someone like a Josh McDaniels (to use as a hypothetical name) were to lead the Broncose to a Super Bowl or two over the next 15 years, and then come to Washington compliments of a huge payday via teamownership, that McDaniels' best effort would have been in his rearview mirror, and not put forth with the Redskins.

I'd make the same argument if we had hired Cowher (that his best effort was given to the Steelers franchise). It's not that far-fetched of a premise, and somehow the non-interpreters of this board seem to think I want to fire the guy. I don't. I'm just making an EARLY call here that when the book on Shanahan is closed, his experience in Washington will not be the career-defining chapter. that's it.

Coaches are human beings too. It is entirely possible, plausible, and reasonable to surmise that Marty's best years were spent in Cleveland and Kansas City, Spurrier's best years @ Florida, Gibbs' best years in DC 1.0, and even Zorn's best years with a young Matt Hasselback. The problem isn't limited to the head coaching ranks alone. Joe Bugel? Greg Blatche in Chicago vs. DC?

Schottenheimer was as good in San Diego as he was anywhere else.

Spurrier is still a good college coach, he was never an NFL caliber head coach.

Gibbs was out of the game for far too long and badly needed a real GM to function properly.

Zorn is still a good QB coach, he was never an NFL caliber head coach.

The common link between them isn't a matter of these guys being past their prime, it's that the organization has consistently made bad decisions in hiring (and firing).

This board sounds like an episode of Hee-Haw today...

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me..."

Geez folks, give it some time. None of us are happy about what transpired yesterday, but what are any of us REALLY going to do about it???

Just counteracts a lot of the "Animal House",

<chaos> "REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WELL!" <chaos> rhetoric that has filled this board for last several years.

For the second year in a row, this franchise suffers another embarrassing loss to a truly awful team....a team that had lost 27 of their last 28, and 14 in a row at home. The Rams have won exactly 4 games in their last 35 played. 2 of those against????? You guessed it...the Redskins.

Ladies and gentlemen, your new NFL homecoming game opponent...the Washington Redskins.

So, imho, a lot of the despair is justified.

OK here's a couple of problems that aren't going to go away and will have to be settled in the draft a couple of years to come. First off, this offensive line (with the exception of Trent Williams) is all scrubs and it's obvious we are having the same problems we have been stuck with for years...NO TALENT! They are simply gonna have to rebuild the O-Line through the draft. There are no "easy fixes" for this one and I think McNabb knows that. Secondly, The 3-4 defense is not working because they decided to impliment this with 4-3 talent. Square peg in round hole? YES! Hasselet should have been smart enough to know this but after seeing the defense get caught on 8 or so passes over the middle withn no adjustments, I'm thinking maybe not so much. Another thing, both the shannahan's need to work a little better together on offense. Pro-Bowl TE Chris Cooley is in your line-up and you throw to him one damn time??? I know McNabb didn't have a whole lot of time to perfect the calls they were calling but come on. And what was the 3 running plays and out about on the goal line when we couldn't run it to begin with hence (O-Line). Looks like another long season to me with no real solutions in sight.

All these knee jerk reaction threads are pathetic. Shanahan inherited a 4-12 team. After one draft and three games, we're 1-2. If YOU had unrealistic expectations coming into the season, thats YOUR problem. This turnaround is gonna take time, Shanahan is not god.

Schottenheimer was as good in San Diego as he was anywhere else.

Spurrier is still a good college coach, he was never an NFL caliber head coach.

Gibbs was out of the game for far too long and badly needed a real GM to function properly.

Zorn is still a good QB coach, he was never an NFL caliber head coach.

The common link between them isn't a matter of these guys being past their prime, it's that the organization has consistently made bad decisions in hiring (and firing).

Even after all that time Gibbs had them in the playoffs 2 out of 4 years and almost had them in the SB if they were not so beat up with injuries vs. seattle

All these knee jerk reaction threads are pathetic. Shanahan inherited a 4-12 team. After one draft and three games, we're 1-2. If YOU had unrealistic expectations coming into the season, thats YOUR problem. This turnaround is gonna take time, Shanahan is not god.

Ding. These are probably the same people who thought if we just trade all of our draft picks away for VJ we were going to be set for years and go to the superbowl.

Knee Jerk Reaction is the most overused and incorrectly used term on this board. After the much-anticipated retirement of "Epic Fail", "Knee Jerk Reaction" has taken over the title of D.B.T. (Dominant Board Term).

Why is it incorrectly used, as I say?

Because folks in this thread fail to see the broad theme. Even if Shanahan proves me wrong, the broad theme will still be largely correct. Early signs are that I'll be correct in proclaiming Shanahan's best years were spent in Denver/SanFran. I don't think it's "Knee Jerk" to say that. In fact, the laws of probability suggest that's a safe bet.

One other thing about this stupid "past his prime" theory...

Tom Caughlin - born August 31, 1946

124px-Couglin.jpg

Dick Vermeil - born October 30, 1936

frontierex.jpg

Just to name the first ones to pop into my head.

I invite anyone to seriously suggest that Shanahan is not a good coach and past his prime to any NFL coach or player, or anyone who has any real NFL experience whatsoever. 99.9% will laugh in your face and the other .1% probably believe that Elvis is alive and living on board a UFO.

Still missing my point Mad Mike. Keep reaching though and finding examples that prove the contrary to boost yourself. Fact is, what I said still holds true. Coaches come to Washington (during the Snyder era) having provided their best years to other franchises. Is Shanahan still a good coach? I'm sure he is. Didn't say he wasn't, which is why I question your ability to effectively interpret a thread's opening statement. Sounds like you were just hankering for an argument.

Also, it really makes you look smart when you call an opposing theory "stupid", because you know, that's an effective debating tool.

Knee Jerk Reaction is the most overused and incorrectly used term on this board. After the much-anticipated retirement of "Epic Fail", "Knee Jerk Reaction" has taken over the title of D.B.T. (Dominant Board Term).

Why is it incorrectly used, as I say?

Because folks in this thread fail to see the broad theme. Even if Shanahan proves me wrong, the broad theme will still be largely correct. Early signs are that I'll be correct in proclaiming Shanahan's best years were spent in Denver/SanFran. I don't think it's "Knee Jerk" to say that. In fact, the laws of probability suggest that's a safe bet.

If you had posted this thread after our week one win against dallas, that'd be one thing. But you instead posted two similar threads after a couple of tough losses, hence knee, Jerk.

EDIT: I stand corrected, you indeed started one thread, essentially the same thread that exists on the opening page. Well done.

Still missing my point Mad Mike. Keep reaching though and finding examples that prove the contrary to boost yourself. Fact is, what I said still holds true. Coaches come to Washington (during the Snyder era) having provided their best years to other franchises. Is Shanahan still a good coach? I'm sure he is. Didn't say he wasn't, which is why I question your ability to effectively interpret a thread's opening statement. Sounds like you were just hankering for an argument.

Also, it really makes you look smart when you call an opposing theory "stupid", because you know, that's an effective debating tool.

I don't call every opposing theory stupid. Only the stupid ones. :ols:

No where have you shown any evidence that Shanahan is "past his prime" None. Zero. Zip. To think you can determine that based upon the short time Shanahan has been here - three games into his first season is just silly.

Archived