Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New fan mentality.

midgetsj

I am 20 years old, so that means I was born in 1989. I became a skins fan around the age of 5, so in 1994. Everybody who is at my age or younger have not seen what older fans call the "glory days" and dont have anything we can relate to when it comes to the redskins being a great team. What I have come to notice in my life as a skins fan is the letdown of the team. :( As I watch other teams play they always seem to have younger players comming in and changing the backround of their organization, but the skins, over the past 7 or so years, I havent seen many player changes in positions we are undertalented in. Why do we not improve like the rest? We always are fighting for victories, never putting anybody in their place. It is like the same old song and dance everyyear. Just wanted to give a perspective on a younger fans feelings.

This franchise is in a much better situation than it ever has. I don't care if we lose the rest of the games, I'm happy knowing we'll be better off in the long run. Most fans don't look at the "big picture" of it all and are impatient and illogical. Fans also put expectation levels so high that there is no way possible the team (with very little talent) meets those expectations. The big problem is most of you have overvalued our talent for a looooooooooong time. The reality of it is, we aren't very good at this point. We will be.

This franchise is in a much better situation than it ever has. I don't care if we lose the rest of the games, I'm happy knowing we'll be better off in the long run. Most fans don't look at the "big picture" of it all and are impatient and illogical. Fans also put expectation levels so high that there is no way possible the team (with very little talent) meets those expectations. The big problem is most of you have overvalued our talent for a looooooooooong time. The reality of it is, we aren't very good at this point. We will be.

Is it too much to expect a winning team over a 15 year period?

midgetsj, I hear ya and I understand, but none of those "other" teams you look at became good overnight. We have been the gold standard for franchise dysfunction for over a decade and it needs to change. It doesn't need to be tweaked, it doesn't need a fresh coat of paint, it needs to be completely rebuilt from the ground up and that is going to take more than one FA-limited offseason.

There are encouraging signs if you are willing to look, but they are not on the field. The fundamental aspects of hardwork and accountability have to be relearned, and the FO has made moves to address those.

I know it's hard, I honestly do but the only way it will ever get better, the only way that we don't stumble through this same mess for another decade, is to ride out the growing pains that have to happen when the whole damn mess needs top be dumped and replaced.

midgetsj, I hear ya and I understand, but none of those "other" teams you look at became good overnight.

Then how 'bout dem Saints? From 3-13 in 2005 to a division title and the conference championship game in 2006? We 'skins fans have been hearing "it takes several seasons!!" for about 15+ years now. How many more seasons until we see a consistently good team - the sort of team that can actually have back to back winning seasons?

I don't understand this thinking.

I am a younger skins fan.

The reasons that I am a skins fan:

#1 the tradition

#2 the history

#3 the fan base

This team will be good again but that isn't relevant as to why I am a fan.

Cubs fans aren't Cubs fans because they win the Pennant every year.

I don't love the USA because of the things we have done in my lifetime.

Archived