Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SC: Position battle breakdown

JimmiJo

http://web.skinscast.com/subcast/2010/09/03/position-battle-break-down/

Position battle breakdown

By John Pappas

Skinscast Editor

The practices are finished, there are no more games to be played, and all the players can do now is wait for the final roster cuts to be announced. NFL teams will announce final cuts tomorrow at 4PM. When that happens, 22 players currently on the Redskins will become unemployed.

Since the season ended, Washington has been signing players to the expanded 80-man offseason roster. Tuesday they cut down to 75. Saturday it will be the final 53. Coming into the final preseason game against Arizona, a few position battles raged, specifically at wide receiver, running back, corner back, and backup quarterback. So who helped themselves this preseason, and who stands to have a job Sunday?

Wide receiver

With Malcolm Kelly going to IR, and very solid play by Anthony Armstrong, this may have turned into a three-way battle for two spots between Brandon Banks, Terrence Austin, and Devin Thomas. Thomas was a starter last year, but a new coaching staff had Thomas playing well into the second half over the preseason. Banks flashed early with a 77-yard punt return in the first game against Buffalo but seemed to fade late, and Austin came on in the final two games with nice catches and effective special teams play.

Advantage: Austin and Thomas – The story of the final two spots was written in special teams as much as with the offense. While Banks’ early return gave him the early advantage, subsequent fumbles hurt him. Meanwhile Austin was solid, if not spectacular on returns, and Thomas shined on kick returns against the Cardinals, with a 27-yard return average.

Click the link above to read the full article...

Nice work. Are you going to do the other positions as well?

I have to say, Barnes impressed me more than Westbrook did throughout the whole preseason. I think his (relative) height is something we could use as well. Based on the packages Haslett was calling, I think he feels he can utilize Barne's ability to rush the passer and tackle well.

Good article, like another mentioned I also would like to see your take on the other positions..

Since the new staff came in, it's definitely been easier to be a "fan of the team" versus players being liked individually... I'm not trying to have my favorites, just hoping whatever 53 are finally selected are the best and I'll root 'em on.

Here's to season 1 fellers!

Nice work. Are you going to do the other positions as well?

I have to say, Barnes impressed me more than Westbrook did throughout the whole preseason. I think his (relative) height is something we could use as well. Based on the packages Haslett was calling, I think he feels he can utilize Barne's ability to rush the passer and tackle well.

It's a subjective assessment on my part. We don't know what the coaches are looking for and at specifically. You may be right about Barnes, this is just my take.

Archived