Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Redskins-Cardinals: Five Things To Watch

Oldskool

Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

By Ryan O’Halloran

Staff writer

CSNwashington.com

Five things to watch in the Redskins’ preseason finale Thursday at Arizona:

1. Will the Redskins keep a third quarterback? Early in training camp, coach Mike Shanahan said his preference was to keep two quarterbacks, which would give the Redskins roster flexibility if they wanted to carry six receiver or four tailbacks. But Donovan McNabb’s left ankle sprain (he won’t play Thursday and hasn’t practiced since getting injured Aug. 21) has likely changed Shanahan’s strategy. So, which quarterback makes the team as a third-stringer – John Beck or Richard Bartel? Beck has to be the favorite because this coaching staff acquired him early in camp. The coaches like how he fits in the offense and barring a total meltdown (like Jordan Palmer a few years ago), Beck has the edge over Bartel.

2. The running back pecking order. Clinton Portis is on the team and will be the starter. That’s about all we know about the Redskins’ running back situation. Former Pro Bowlers Larry Johnson and Willie Parker haven’t distinguished themselves in the run game but in their defense, there hasn’t been a ton of running room. Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain will be on display against the Cardinals. The key factor in who makes the roster is special teams. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan admitted Tuesday it’s tough to have three running backs active that don’t play special teams. The guess here is that Parker is in trouble because Williams/Torain both play special teams.

For the rest of the article, see: http://www.csnwashington.com/09/01/10/Redskins-Cardinals-Five-Things-To-Watch/landing.html?blockID=302099&feedID=272

4. Terrence Austin vs. Brandon Banks.

I will be watching this one over anything else. Seems to me Armstrong is on the 53 roster, so I say keep em both and let Bobby Wade go and Give the KR/PR duties to Banks.

You're ready to give the return duties to a guy who has gaffed 2 of 8 attempts in returns, albeit, he did take one the distance against a bunch of 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Give me Thomas on kickoffs, and Buchanan on punts and Banks on the PS.

4. Terrence Austin vs. Brandon Banks.

I will be watching this one over anything else. Seems to me Armstrong is on the 53 roster, so I say keep em both and let Bobby Wade go and Give the KR/PR duties to Banks.

so i guess its a given that armstrong is on the roster? what if craps the bed thur?

Archived