Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage 2010: Redskins vs. Jets (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage 2010: Redskins vs. Jets

SANCHEZ.JPG

08/27/10

:helmet:

We are coming to you live from the New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. My name is JimmiJo, and I join you along with my partner, Murf. Together, we will bring you tonight's action versus the Jets.

I am signing off on the new stadium. Not the actual structure mind you; I haven't seen enough to know one way or the other. But the food spread is first class and after all; does anything else matter?

Speaking of the new stadium, I am trying to figure out why the seats are all shades of gray, as in charcoal. They are alternating light and dark gray. I get that this is a shared building, but why gray? And what the hell is going on with the metal slats on the outside of the stadium? They look like they should close, only they don't.

They have four video boards. Similar to the new boards at FedEx, but smaller. They also appear to have an area behind the benches where fans can watch the game, ala the Cowboys stadium.

The weather here is absolutely stunning. Low humidity, and temps in the low eighties. It should be a great night for football.

Right now the team is warming up on the field in tee-shirts and shorts. So far we know Donovan McNabb, Kareem Moore, Mike Sellers, and Malcolm Kelly will not go tonight. That means it will be the Rex Grossman show in the first half.

Grossman had a good camp and has showed well so far this preseason. Not that I am ready to pencil him in as the starter, but with McNabb's propensity for injury, they will probably need Grossman to play well at some point this year.

Tonight should be a good test for Grossman and the offense. The Jets are every bit as aggressive as Baltimore. They will be sending the hoards to disrupt Washington's offense.

The Willie Parker show begins this evening. And despite tweets to the contrary, my feeling is that a good showing by Parker could doom Larry Johnson after the poor performance last week. It is pure conjecture on my part, but Johnson was bad in every area last week and a good Parker showing could be a problem for Johnson.

I am hoping to see Jammal Brown go longer this week. He told me after the game last week that the few amount of snaps he saw was by design. I am curious to see how long he goes, and how he looks against the Jets' defense.

On defense I am going to continue to focus on Jack linebacker. I am pulling for Andre Carter, but he has struggled a bit so far. It is not his natural position, and he is late in his career to be making the change. But he is not the only one being asked to change, and I have been told that it is not uncommon for a defensive end to be converted to Jack in a 3-4.

I will also be watching the free safety position. With Moore out, I want to see how Reed Doughty does, and Chris Horton as well when he is in. Moore's injury gives both Doughty and Horton an opportunity to play.

So what will you be watching tonight? Chime-in with your things to watch.

Stand by...

Just realized this is the last game before the first round of cuts happen, this Tuesday. A lot of guys will win and lose their jobs based on how they perform this evening.

We be tweetin'

Make sure you follow Murf and I on Twitter; @homermcfanboy, and @Skinscast.

Uniforms

Redskins going with white jerseys, burgundy pants. Jets in green jerseys and white pants.

Audio

Following up on the earlier stadium stuff, I have to give them some love on the sound system. It is thumpin'.

Kickoff

Jets win toss, defer to Washington, who will receive. Here's to a good game with no injuries.

Half

Interesting first half. A mix between good defense, and who wants it least. If you have been at all frustrated by the offense, please know the Jets have done worse. The safety was a gift to them.

I am very concerned with run defense, but they tightened up in the 2nd quarter. And you have to love the 2nd team defense doing well for most of quarter two.

As I tweeted, a tough first half, but the Redskins did a little more.

They lead, 6-5.

MURF'S TAKE

As an added bonus, here's what murf had to say from the sidelines during the action:

Redskins CB Phillip Buchanon said every play he's out there for he's trying to do two things: get his hands on the ball and score.

Frankly, I'm even tired of me at this point. RT @fatpickled He's having a good day, comic strips, TV, Internet, the king of all media.

Trent Williams on Artis Hicks getting physical with Bart Scott: "I told him I've never seen that side of him. I liked it. I LIKED it."

Artis Hicks on what he said to piss off Bart Scott when they got heated: "You'll have to tune into Hard Knocks this week to find out."

Devin Thomas knew before game he'd be in the "Joey Galloway role" today, he said after game. Coaches wanted to evaluate others.

Brandon Banks looks lost out there.

Larry Johnson said he wanted more reps, even if it meant fourth quarter time. Dude got his wish.

Will be fun to hear Rex Ryan talk during this one on Hard Knocks. Well, fun for #Redskins fans.

Lucky for Jets, their first-team offense finally put points on board. Even then, they missed extra point.

I'm beginning to like Tyrone Carter.

Golston then follows that up by laying Sanchez out. Pretty boy never got manhandled like that at USC.

Haynesworth gave Sanchez a fore arm shiver to the face on the play Blades was hanging on to him. Good times.

For Redskins, Austin has taken advantage of Banks off night.

Calvin Pace has been the star tonight. Mark Sanchez ... not so much.

Mulligan laid out Tryon on kick return. Wasn't even fair.

They really don't want the ball in hands of Mark Sanchez. This makes The Danny sad.

Heads up play by Buchanon to bail out offense. Looks like both teams need defense to do heavy lifting tonite.

Really?!? The Redskins can't even snap the ball right anymore??? Heaven help them.

It takes a brave man to start something w/ a guy on the ground. Kudos Bart Scott.

I'll go ahead and say it, for a team w/ LDT, Edwards, Holmes, Greene and all, thei offense isn't pretty.

I hope you enjoyed the Brandon Banks era as much as I did.

Moss to Grossman after 3rd down miss: "It's okay. Good try though."

First drive was forgettable. What can The Rex Cannon do for an encore?

Coles, Taylor and Brunell are captains. Coincidence?

Seriously, there is no one here. Locals think fans are either tailgating or in traffic. Let's hope so.

Just got back from field level. Highlight was seeing Tony Siragusa attempt a fieldgoal w/ Rex Ryan holding. They missed badly.

Cooley, with no Yoder to goof off w/ during warmups, enlisted John Beck in his "hit the goalpost" game. Beck crushed him.

PHOTOS

4934113346_7762734d49_o.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Jammal Brown click HERE

To listen to comments from Phillip Buchanon click HERE

To listen to comments from Reed Doughty click HERE

To listen to comments from Graham Gano click HERE

To listen to comments from Howard Green click HERE

To listen to comments from Kedric Golston click HERE

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall click HERE

To listen to comments from Robert Henson click HERE

To listen to comments from Jeremy Jarmon click HERE

To listen to comments from Larry Johnson click HERE

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry click HERE

To listen to comments from Carlos Rogers click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

JimmiJo

There is something about beating a Rex Ryan team that makes me feel good inside. It’s not that I don’t like the guy; he’s a wonderful coach. It’s just that I like seeing the ****y S.O.B.’s team get beat.

Especially after he kept his first team defense in after the half. Heck, first team defense was in there too. And how nice was it to see the Redskins’ backups winning the battles against the first teamers?

Seriously, we have questions about our rushing offense and defense, but if our offense was playing like the Jets, I think we would all need talking down off of the ledge.

I’ll tell you what I liked about this game - the ability of the defense to manufacture turnovers. Washington had four this game, while surrendering one (unless you count the fumble/safety by Rex Grossman). They will win a lot of games if they keep doing that.

There are a couple of interesting tidbits on the defense. DeAngelo Hall’s two picks are the most by any Redskin in the preseason since Sean Taylor had three in 2004. The first team defense has given up only 21 points in the first half so far this preseason. Take away the safety and a trick play on special teams and they look even better.

But as much as I liked the turnovers, I have to be critical of the run defense early. Washington will not win many games if they continue to surrender 125 yards rushing in the first half. Then again, they probably won’t have to see a revitalized LaDainian Tomlinson every week. LT was very impressive on cut backs and getting around the corner. But in speaking to some of the defenders after, they put it on themselves, saying a few times guys were out of position. The good news was they settled down after the first quarter.

The offense again struggled to score touchdowns, settling for three field goals before finally getting in the end zone for a touchdown late in the game. But I’m not sure how worried I am about it. For one thing, they have played two of the best offenses in the league the past two weeks. For another, the starting quarterback did not play this week, nor did one of the top receivers in Devin Thomas (on offensive snaps at least, but it was planned he told us).

Speaking of quarterbacks, Grossman finished the night 8-for-16 for 111 yards and a quarterback rating of 72.7. He played fairly solid, with the one real blemish the muffed snap and safety in the end zone. After Grossman, John Beck went 7-for-11 for 76 yards. But Richard Bartel probably helped himself the most. After a shaky start, Bartel came in late and threw the touchdown to Larry Johnson. Bartel also connected with Brandon Banks on a 15-yard out.

The offense again struggled in the run game. They posted 82 yards, but much of that came late. First team managed only 22 yards in the first half. While the offensive line looked solid in pass pro, they again failed to create running lanes for the backs. Some of that has to be the defenses they are facing. But some of that has to be a line failing to execute. The players say they are not too worried, but Shanahan acknowledged in his presser that the team needs to get the run game going.

I liked the willingness of this team to go for the big play, and that’s not just tonight. They have been aggressive all preseason and something tells me the days of nothing but short passes are over. Tonight the Redskins had four plays for 20 yards or more, with the longest being the 29-yarder to Santana Moss. Moss should have had a much bigger play down the middle on a throw from Grossman. But Moss dropped the pass instead. It is obvious the coaching staff has been calling fairly generic games, and it will be interesting to see what the offense looks like week 1.

Next week we will probably not see much from the first teamers. Clinton Portis sprained an ankle and was hobbling around on the sideline. I would guess he is done for the preseason. Darrel Young also suffered some sort of illness and we will have to see. Can’t image McNabb will do much. Expect to see backups looking to make a final statement trying to make the team.

Well folks, I enjoyed it, but it’s a long drive home. Before I go I want to take a little time and read your comments.

Holla.

please leave your name and number after the beep.... *BEEP*

Question...

I understand your on the job, but are you dressed as a fan?

Good question. The answer is no for me. Both Murf and I prefer to dress neutral. Others [who will remain nameless] rock the colors on-duty.

Good question. The answer is no for me. Both Murf and I prefer to dress neutral. Others [who will remain nameless] rock the colors on-duty.

Darn, I always pictured you wearing your famous Redskins Beenie with the propeller with the burgundy and gold blades. I'm shattered. :ols:

JJ:

Reports on TV state we will see our love elly Mr. Haynesworth more in the position he will be playing during the season. Look forward to seeing that - Sexy Rexy qbie throwing and.....Mr. Parker and his debut as a Redskin.

And a win with no injuries ;) Thanks for covering the team, as always excellent job!

Watching online with the Jets broadcast guys. Have to say they are pretty good. The Ravens local guys were terrible.

What I'm looking forward to see tonight is how the offensive line holds up. If they don't let Grossman get hit, I see a victory in that. Also, hoping to see Armstrong continue doing well..

The Willie Parker show begins this evening. And despite tweets to the contrary, my feeling is that a good showing by Parker could doom Larry Johnson after the poor performance last week. It is pure conjecture on my part, but Johnson was bad in every area last week and a good Parker showing could be a problem for Johnson.

Heading into this game, only Portis is the only lock. Torian & Williams are running better so LJ & Parker really have to show something.

Good to see you. JimmiJo. Sorry for the lack of responses.

I still think this thread should just be combined with the "Official Game Thread and Chat." Seems like this should be the official thread, no?

I disagree too Hap, sorry I didn't comprehend No Leaf wanted this thread in the game thread/thread ;) - I read it that he wanted it as an Official Game Thread as in announcing the game and summary of each quarter - as it has been.

What I would like to see - pics of game changing plays by the players of the Washington Redskins uploaded, if possible into the discussion/cussin' "game thread" where we all have an opinion :). But leave this thread alone.

I still think this thread should just be combined with the "Official Game Thread and Chat." Seems like this should be the official thread, no?

I don't agree on this, the responses from the reporters at the stadium would be masked by the noise in the official game thread. It is much better this way in that its quick and easy to see any additional posts by JJ or the Murf.

I don't agree on this, the responses from the reporters at the stadium would be masked by the noise in the official game thread. It is much better this way in that its quick and easy to see any additional posts by JJ or the Murf.

Well said Hap and why these threads continue to stand alone,(stuck to the top of course). Easy to find and easy to sift through to find information about the game. That and easy for questions to be asked and answered. The melee,internet version of a bunch of fans in a bar that is the game thread,(which is cool as well),is no place for this coverage thread.

Archived