Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

20 Years Ago Today Stevie Ray Vaughan Passed Away

SC_RedskinsFan

One Sunday morning I was watching A&E, and I saw him in concert. I could have sworn it was an espisode of "Story Tellers", so I thought he was still alive. I always like great guitar players, so he blew me away. He was killing it. It made me want to look for some of his music. I didn't know he died. It's targic that people try to seperate music based on black and white. I mean gowing up I would never have heard anything he played. But it re-inforces the idea that good music is good music, it has no face, or skin color. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Where does he rank? Is he better than Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, etc.

SRV certainly was a derivative of all of them, so any comparison would be a circular argument. Better to compare him to guitarists in his own generation. Hard to believe it's been 20 years. I saw the SRV/Beck tour in '90 (Cap center) so he must have died within months of that show. I'm curious now, going to look for the ticket stub. It's happened a lot, artists dying within a year of a concert that I attended. Last one was Billy Powell, within 6 months of a show I took my wife to in Boone, NC

Here's a couple of my fav SRV songs.

VQsqRBCXiuw&feature=related

rUl0g8e4yLo&feature=related

His last album and tour "In Step" and this song (Tightrope) from it were about

getting sober, came out about about a year after I did, which was amazing.

SRV showed up at an AA meeting that I attended regularly (wasn't there that night dang it!).

It was huge celebration meeting in Dupont Cir typically attended by around 500 people (called "Midtown").

He came in there a couple nights before his (presumably) last show in DC to get his 3 year anniversary coin.

yNuXO60G33w&feature=more_related

Can't believe it's been 20 years. Such a sad, ironic story with Stevie.

I first got turned on to him back in the early 80s when noone knew who he was except people from Texas. Dude lived the hard life maybe as hard as any musician ever, survives it, gets totally clean, finally has a hit record, and then dies in an accident. When are the gonna make the movie?

Favorite Stevie tunes:

Cold Shot

Life Without You

Lenny

Couldn't Stand the Weather

Tin Can Alley

Archived