Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/RI: Malcolm Kelly misses practice for court date (NOVA Cops at it again)

NattyBo

I'd say it's a mix of both. The cops in NOVA are on a mission to pull over as many as possible and the Redskins are young men with fast cars who want to drive fast. It's a marriage made in heaven. If anything they need to find a different route to practice than the Dulles Toll Road.

Or maybe just not go 90 on the toll road... ?

Or maybe just not go 90 on the toll road... ?

Ya, but that would require a change in behavior. I realize I am not going to win a debate on this because bottom line is that he was going too fast. But you can't look at me in the eye and honestly tell me that NOVA cops aren't out to nail people. And you can't tell me that there is not an economic gain experienced by the county.

Bottom line - he was going too fast. I give up; he is ultimately to blame. But my points about the traffic situation up there are accurate. The aggressive driving is to the point where the slowest people on the road are still speeding just to not get run off the road. If that is what they are truly trying to stop in NOVA, then I am all for it. I for one would love to not be run off the road when I go up there. I drive a freaking PRIUS and I like the speed limit. But I do know that in my tiny prius, I speed up in VA. When you get on my ass in your Ford Excursion or your Toyota Land Barge - I mean Land Cruiser - I am going to speed up.

If that ever goes away in the mid Atlantic and northeast, then I will say good job, cops. But I just don;t think that's their real goal. I think it's money.

I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be up there a few times this season and it would be nice at least for my MPG to not have to go 80 to keep the SUV out of my son's lap. But I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and the plot thickens...

@granthpaulsen

Malcolm Kelly didn't deny reports that he's facing 3 misdemeanor traffic charges. Told me he still has to pay fines before it's behind him.

@granthpaulsen: Kelly also added that his traffic dilemmas weren't the reason why he wasn't at #Redskins Park today.

Oh, and the plot thickens...

@granthpaulsen

Malcolm Kelly didn't deny reports that he's facing 3 misdemeanor traffic charges. Told me he still has to pay fines before it's behind him.

@granthpaulsen: Kelly also added that his traffic dilemmas weren't the reason why he wasn't at #Redskins Park today.

Oh boy...If he wasn't there because of traffic court, what was he doing? Why do we care? Why should we care? Why don't we just rid ourselves of this tall headache with great hands?

What an entertaining thread.

1. If you don't like the speed limits - get involved and get them changed.

2. If you don't like the fact that lack of revenue may drive enforcment. Make sure that LE is funded in a dedicated manner that ensures they feel little need to enforce for that reason.

3. If players cannot show up for previous court dates or pay tickets, there is a serious "what were you thinking?" factor going on. We all know what happens to the common person who behaves like these guys do, so it looks like they already got some slack.

4. If the cops were really after the players, it would be much easier to follow them to a bar and nail them coming out of that.

5. Malcom Kelly really needs to get himself together and figured out, or he is going to be the greatest underacheiver of all time for the Skins. I don't think one missed day of practice, etc. due to legal obligations is going to be his "achilles heel", considering all the time he has missed for injury reasons.

6. I lived in Herndon, and used the toll road when I lived in Harpers Ferry every workday when I commuted to Tysons and Reston (like 5-7 years worth). I have zero tickets for anything. I think that speaks volumes for one being able to drive safely/sanely in that area.

7. If you don't want to be profiled by the cops, drive an old rusty pickup truck and keep in up to snuff for safety, and follow the rules of the road.

Oh boy...If he wasn't there because of traffic court, what was he doing? Why do we care? Why should we care? Why don't we just rid ourselves of this tall headache with great hands?

Maybe he was legally changing his name to "The Comb". Maybe he was getting married or divorced. Maybe he secretly is an informant for the FBI and had to testify that he was able to intercept a drug shipment by using his awesome hands.

Let's play what was malcom doing at the courthouse today?

Ya, but that would require a change in behavior. I realize I am not going to win a debate on this because bottom line is that he was going too fast. But you can't look at me in the eye and honestly tell me that NOVA cops aren't out to nail people. And you can't tell me that there is not an economic gain experienced by the county.

There's a big difference between most of traffic going 70 in a 55 and one dumbass going 90 on the toll road. A cop sees clocks you going that fast, you're getting pulled over and you're lucky if you don't wind up in jail. Plain and simple.

What an entertaining thread.

1. If you don't like the speed limits - get involved and get them changed.

2. If you don't like the fact that lack of revenue may drive enforcment. Make sure that LE is funded in a dedicated manner that ensures they feel little need to enforce for that reason.

3. If players cannot show up for previous court dates or pay tickets, there is a serious "what were you thinking?" factor going on. We all know what happens to the common person who behaves like these guys do, so it looks like they already got some slack.

4. If the cops were really after the players, it would be much easier to follow them to a bar and nail them coming out of that.

5. Malcom Kelly really needs to get himself together and figured out, or he is going to be the greatest underacheiver of all time for the Skins. I don't think one missed day of practice, etc. due to legal obligations is going to be his "achilles heel", considering all the time he has missed for injury reasons.

6. I lived in Herndon, and used the toll road when I lived in Harpers Ferry every workday when I commuted to Tysons and Reston (like 5-7 years worth). I have zero tickets for anything. I think that speaks volumes for one being able to drive safely/sanely in that area.

7. If you don't want to be profiled by the cops, drive an old rusty pickup truck and keep in up to snuff for safety, and follow the rules of the road.

I never meant that Redskins players were being targeted because of their status as an NFL player. I meant that they were pulled over because they were speeding, driving cars that cops will pull over for a variety of reasons, and may not have fit the profile of a normal owner of said vehicle. I never said they were targeted for being Redskins.

At this point I realize that the taxpayers of NOVA are for this enforcement. I realize I was wrong in my original post. I look forward to driving up there this year. It sounds like they have changed the situation I was describing. But just because you don't have a ticket doesn't mean you haven't broken the law. I am sure you have at some point had to go faster than the posted speed limit just to keep with the flow of traffic.

But 90 is ridiculous and they deserved it. I was wrong. As long you guys that live there want it that way, then I am not going to whine about it as I don't live there or pay the taxes there. Also, I have never gotten a ticket there either. But I have sped there to keep with the flow of traffic. You can always tell when you're getting close to DC because the speed limit goes down and the people get faster. It's weird.

I have a couple of good friends who are cops here in Mont. County and they have told me that they won't pull over someone doing 70 in a 55 because they know they'll miss catching someone doing 90 and/or being reckless. Not sure what the philosophy is of police in northern VA but I've heard they're alot more hardcore and aggressive pulling people over.

I have a couple of good friends who are cops here in Mont. County and they have told me that they won't pull over someone doing 70 in a 55 because they know they'll miss catching someone doing 90 and/or being reckless. Not sure what the philosophy is of police in northern VA but I've heard they're alot more hardcore and aggressive pulling people over.

They are the same here except for Fairfax ciy cops. They tend to be more strict and like to harass people with CCP's.

I never meant that Redskins players were being targeted because of their status as an NFL player. I meant that they were pulled over because they were speeding, driving cars that cops will pull over for a variety of reasons, and may not have fit the profile of a normal owner of said vehicle. I never said they were targeted for being Redskins.

At this point I realize that the taxpayers of NOVA are for this enforcement. I realize I was wrong in my original post. I look forward to driving up there this year. It sounds like they have changed the situation I was describing. But just because you don't have a ticket doesn't mean you haven't broken the law. I am sure you have at some point had to go faster than the posted speed limit just to keep with the flow of traffic.

But 90 is ridiculous and they deserved it. I was wrong. As long you guys that live there want it that way, then I am not going to whine about it as I don't live there or pay the taxes there. Also, I have never gotten a ticket there either. But I have sped there to keep with the flow of traffic. You can always tell when you're getting close to DC because the speed limit goes down and the people get faster. It's weird.

I think it had more to do with the parasite comment. To classify all police as parasites because these young guys got tickets, who all the sudden have money and fast cars, thats where you went wrong. A lot of people have family/friends or just respect LEOs because the average person couldnt do the job they do so my guess is you struck a nerve. A sensative one at that, understandably.

Bottom line - he was going too fast. I give up; he is ultimately to blame. But my points about the traffic situation up there are accurate. The aggressive driving is to the point where the slowest people on the road are still speeding just to not get run off the road. If that is what they are truly trying to stop in NOVA, then I am all for it. I for one would love to not be run off the road when I go up there. I drive a freaking PRIUS and I like the speed limit. But I do know that in my tiny prius, I speed up in VA. When you get on my ass in your Ford Excursion or your Toyota Land Barge - I mean Land Cruiser - I am going to speed up.

If that ever goes away in the mid Atlantic and northeast, then I will say good job, cops. But I just don;t think that's their real goal. I think it's money.

I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be up there a few times this season and it would be nice at least for my MPG to not have to go 80 to keep the SUV out of my son's lap. But I'm not holding my breath.

Even if everything you say is true it doesn't explain why Kelly opted to drive without his license and/or with a suspended license. You can't blame that on predatory cops. It's not even your "I had to speed because everyone else was" copout. And then after all that he decides to skip the court hearing. Would you even consider doing something as stupid as that?

And as someone else said earlier, he wasn't even pulled over for speeding so all these examples about getting run off the road by cars riding on your tail don't apply.

Exactly my point. When everybody is doing 70 in a 55, maybe it's time to change the speed limit to at least 65?

You don't think that once the speed limit goes up to 65, people will start going 80-85?

I drive down to Fairfax for work, and I noticed (compared to 270 and even 495 on the Maryland side) that the highways seem much more narrow. Maybe all of the curves in the road create the illusion of the narrowness.

You don't think that once the speed limit goes up to 65, people will start going 80-85?

I drive down to Fairfax for work, and I noticed (compared to 270 and even 495 on the Maryland side) that the highways seem much more narrow. Maybe all of the curves in the road create the illusion of the narrowness.

Start going 80-85? They already do. I already said I was horribly wrong. Was the parasite comment wrong? Yes. I am sorry. Even still, there are some, but these are not the cases. All in all I pretty much retracted my original statement about two pages ago. Again, I was wrong; 90 in a 55 is not cool. My bad - wrong again. wrong = me

wrong

It's not just Northern Virginia cops either. West on 66, South on 81, South on 95, anywhere South or West from this area (towards VT or VA Beach) it just seems the police are patrolling saying you BETTER NOT SPEED, we see you and we're gonna get you, be scared, hiding out in those hiding places and where ever else.

Archived