Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Unfortunately after the first 10 minutes it was obvious where the game was likely headed. Jagielka is so horrible and Distin played terribly as well. If the CB play isn't way better then we aren't doing anything this year. Lukaku would have to set a scoring record in the EPL.

Wait! 

When where you actually going to do something this year regardless?  ;)

Tell me who's been telling you these lies and I'll have a word with him for yer. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

MANY times in the past Arsenal have failed to win when not at their best. Today that tide turned. 

Grinding out results when you're not playing well is the mark of a good side. Still not overly concerned about this Arsenal side, but that was a vitally important and good victory.

why is this talking point constantly repeated?

Arsenal has really only ground out results since Fabregas and Nasri left. Most of our wins last season were in the scrappy and hard fought, yet people still think we just play pretty, etc.

If anything, Arsenal doesnt play pretty football anymore because we dont have top players in attack. (coming back now with Ozil and Sanchez signings)

I hear this talking point repeated constantly as if people aren't watching matches but are programmed to say it over and over.

What's with not starting Giroud? Opening day and your strongest forward is left out? One eye on the qulaifier?

Hail.

he wasnt entirely fit.

I definitely think we had one eye on Tuesday. Would like to see the Germans out there for that first leg...make a statement...lay down a big margin so we can coast thru the second leg.

none of them are playing, and we really dont need them.

Ashley Young Gets Bird Poop in his Mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XltvlMAxIk

it was actually spit

which is even more funnier to me

Edited by JoeWolf990

To start out, at home, against Southampton, without a win would of been completely disastrous. 

Thankfully we escaped with one. 

Hail. 

Any word/talk about adding another striker over the next two days?

I'm well aware United has our fair share of problems that need to be solved in the two weeks but as far as Liverpool go, what happens when you can't score a video game amount of goals (highly likely without Suarez) and the center of the defense looks like it did last year? Instead of a forward I'd be going head to head with United for Benatia which is a battle you could probably win because of the CL.

I'm well aware United has our fair share of problems that need to be solved in the two weeks but as far as Liverpool go, what happens when you can't score a video game amount of goals (highly likely without Suarez) and the center of the defense looks like it did last year? Instead of a forward I'd be going head to head with United for Benatia which is a battle you could probably win because of the CL.

Game started 4-2-3-1.  Inviting pressure and trying to control the midfield.  Southampton were winning that battle, even when we led on the score board.

Game finished 4-4-2.  Stretched Southampton and ended up getting the goal.  Also the rest of the team seemed to fall into line, as tired as they were.

I'm not worried about the rest of the team or it's depth outside of an extra attacker.  Lambert isn't the answer, but he's fine coming off the bench.

Really, BR got this one wrong.  He made the right adjustment, but he got the initial gameplan wrong.

But really, who knew what to expect out of Southampton.

• Like 1

Game started 4-2-3-1.  Inviting pressure and trying to control the midfield.  Southampton were winning that battle, even when we led on the score board.

Game finished 4-4-2.  Stretched Southampton and ended up getting the goal.  Also the rest of the team seemed to fall into line, as tired as they were.

I'm not worried about the rest of the team or it's depth outside of an extra attacker.  Lambert isn't the answer, but he's fine coming off the bench.

Really, BR got this one wrong.  He made the right adjustment, but he got the initial gameplan wrong.

But really, who knew what to expect out of Southampton.

They still have some very good players left and Koeman isn't David Moyes. Ward-Prowse, Clyne and Tadic will make very good additions for Liverpool next year. You have everything needed to play a more controlled style but do you trust the center of your defense to soak up attacks? When Ronaldo left us the blow was substantially softened by Ferdinand and Vidic still being somewhere near the prime. A top class center back next to Skertl can do the same thing. I don't see anyone you can bring in bar Ronaldo and Messi that can really replace Suarez. Cavani and Falcao are fools gold IMO in this specific situation even though they're very good players.

Current Liverpool first team centre-half's: Agger/ Coates/ Lovren/ Sakho/ Skrtel/ Toure. 

Current Liverpool first team centre forwards: Borini (on verge of signing for Sunderland. Fee already agreed)/ Lambert/ Sturridge.

I'd say by any logic a striker was a FAR more pressing need. Going into a season with TWO forwards is not too clever. To say the least. 

Also a lot less worried about the middle of the defense when Lovren settles in and Sakho begins what will hopefully be a long partnership with him. With the upgrade at fullback the defense will be a whole bunch stronger sooner rather than later. And if he plays a ball winner alongside Gerrard (anyone NOT named Lucas Leiva) at times then there's added protection back there. 

Still the problem behind the defense like. But he's going nowhere for another year at least.

Hail.  

• Like 1

They still have some very good players left and Koeman isn't David Moyes. Ward-Prowse, Clyne and Tadic will make very good additions for Liverpool next year. You have everything needed to play a more controlled style but do you trust the center of your defense to soak up attacks? When Ronaldo left us the blow was substantially softened by Ferdinand and Vidic still being somewhere near the prime. A top class center back next to Skertl can do the same thing. I don't see anyone you can bring in bar Ronaldo and Messi that can really replace Suarez. Cavani and Falcao are fools gold IMO in this specific situation even though they're very good players.

Lovren is as top shelf as there was on the market.  He and Sakho are the future back there, but they all need to learn to play together.  Lovren has been training in the side for two weeks or so.  You've got to let those things mature. 

We can't replace Suarez and I don't think BR is the type to play that all out attack like last year, that was something to use Suarez's strengths.  But another proper attacker who can consistently finish is essential.  We have the midfield to get the ball up but the forwards have to press the opponents back four. 

Any word/talk about adding another striker over the next two days?

I don't know about over the next two days (I don't share your fear for Monday. We'd only be playing Danny up front regardless); but they'll defo be an addition or two before the window closes. 

Bony remains the talk. If we can get Swansea down to 17 million or so and he remains the best out there I'd be down with that. 

Hail. 

I don't know about over the next two days (I don't share your fear for Monday. We'd only be playing Danny up front regardless); but they'll defo be an addition or two before the window closes. 

Bony remains the talk. If we can get Swansea down to 17 million or so and he remains the best out there I'd be down with that. 

Hail. 

Well, if Lucas is starting next week I'm not sure I could stomach watching it.

Would much rather see Cam out there with Hendo and Gerrard.  Would also like to see a Markovic and a fullback available as a sub and Johnson inactive, but BR isn't reading my blog yet this year.

• Like 1

I don't see anyone you can bring in bar Ronaldo and Messi that can really replace Suarez. Cavani and Falcao are fools gold IMO in this specific situation even though they're very good players.

We are neither trying to replace Luis nor do we have to. 

Yes, 31 goals have gone out of the team. But let's not forget Sturridge banged in 21 in only 29 league games last year and you've players like Sterling and Coutinho beginning to add more goals to their repertoire. And with the new defensive additon's/ approach you have to figure we aren't conceding 50 goals again. So the need to score 3/4 a game dissipates. 

A reliable goal scorer that can be the primary back-up to Sturridge is what's needed along with an experienced older head that will chip in with double figures over the course of the year like Eto'o for this season. Then you strengthen again next summer. 

This team wasn't a one man team last year by any stretch. in the 11 games Luis didn't play in all competitions, we won 10 of them. 

Hail. 

Well, if Lucas is starting next week I'm not sure I could stomach watching it.

Would much rather see Cam out there with Hendo and Gerrard.  Would also like to see a Markovic and a fullback available as a sub and Johnson inactive, but BR isn't reading my blog yet this year.

Seriously baffling everyone how Lucas is still at the club after last season. And he's regressed from even that if it was possible on today's abysmal showing. I'd give Malcolm Kelly a chance in a foot race with him and he has no knees! Not sure if Can's ready to be thrown in at the Champions (I'd guess it would be Allen. Not that he's much better than Lucas); but something needs to change there. 

Markovic is due back to full training this week along with Lallana. Again, City will probably be too soon for both, even on the bench. But they'll be pushing come Tottenham. 

Hopefully at City the two Spaniards make up the full back slots. 

Hail. 

Henderson at full back?

Hail. 

Sorry... the quote feature let me down, lol.

Henderson at CDM/CM or whatever Lucas was supposed to do.

I know Suso isn't the best quality and City have the best defender in the league, but why not?  Both of his goals have been from beyond 18 yards this preseason.  It couldn't hurt to have that in there if we are having trouble getting through.

But yeah, for me, Manquillo and Moreno should be the answer next week at fullback.

Sorry... the quote feature let me down, lol.

Henderson at CDM/CM or whatever Lucas was supposed to do.

I know Suso isn't the best quality and City have the best defender in the league, but why not?  Both of his goals have been from beyond 18 yards this preseason.  It couldn't hurt to have that in there if we are having trouble getting through.

But yeah, for me, Manquillo and Moreno should be the answer next week at fullback.

Henderson (still far from a favourite but I realise his importance to the team out of the current group), Gerrard and Coutinho as a #10 would be my preferred 3 in BR's system; with Raheem and Markovic wide of Daniel. 

I suspect Lallana is earmarked as Lucas' replacement though. 

And yeah, I could roll with Suso next Monday if it meant no Lucas. 

Judging from the Allen substitution, he is keeping that spot warm for Lallana

Yup. That's been the common consensus every since we signed Lallana. 

Just nobody expected Lucas to still be here when we kicked off.  :lol:

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Henderson (still far from a favourite but I realise his importance to the team out of the current group)....

....And yeah, I could roll with Suso next Monday if it meant no Lucas. 

Hail.

This team needs Henderson's energy in the midfield. Against a team like City, I want to see Can and Hendo out there protecting Gerrard. I don't want Suso chasing Yaya all day...that would not be an ideal situation for the Reds

This team needs Henderson's energy in the midfield. Against a team like City, I want to see Can and Hendo out there protecting Gerrard. I don't want Suso chasing Yaya all day...that would not be an ideal situation for the Reds

ANYONE not named Lucas Leiva works for me. 

Hell, I'd even give Pascoe a game ahead of him. He used to be a physical midfielder way back when. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

How much did that hurt you to write?

I've always liked Mignolet.

It's just WHEN he lets a goal in, it's a soft one.  One so soft that I feel like I can get up from my couch, go to the airport, fly to Liverpool, drive to Anfield, walk onto the pitch, and kick the ball out of the box before Mignolet knows whats going on.

The best QUALITY moment of opening weekend:

Class.  :lol:

Hail. 

Looks like he was blowing more than bubbles. 

I got nothing for Spurs... they're too boring.

I've always liked Mignolet.

It's just WHEN he lets a goal in, it's a soft one.  One so soft that I feel like I can get up from my couch, go to the airport, fly to Liverpool, drive to Anfield, walk onto the pitch, and kick the ball out of the box before Mignolet knows whats going on.

Next time please take the clown home with you.  :ph34r:

Hail. 

The best QUALITY moment of opening weekend: 

<video>

Class.  :lol:

Hail. 

do you think the beating he took from the security would have been worse if he had it or better?

Next time please take the clown home with you.  :ph34r:

Hail. 

He just gave his best performance as a red and you want him to go? Aren't you the one who said that your Belgium friends believe he will be great this season? Wasn't it you that informed us that he had problems in his personal life that was effecting his play?

He just gave his best performance as a red and you want him to go? Aren't you the one who said that your Belgium friends believe he will be great this season? Wasn't it you that informed us that he had problems in his personal life that was effecting his play?

That was his 'best performance as a red?'

Man alive, just how bad was he last season then?

He made a fantastic save at the end, but was flapping all day. That's what he's brought through his time here. Great shot stopping ability on his day coupled with consistent ****-ups. Thankfully todays weren't costly. 

He's going nowhere and I'm only playing with DC but he's still a majorly weak link in this team. 

Whatever the Belgium's think of him. 

Hail.