Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'One extreme to the other': When Redskins change coaches, it's always a 180-degree turn

Chachi

Not really the topic of the article, but the note at the end was troubling:

"RT Jammal Brown did not practice Wednesday due to a mild hip muscle strain. Shanahan said Brown had an MRI but was fine and would return Thursday. Brown sat out last season with the New Orleans Saints because of a hip injury and sports hernia."

... I didn't see that reported anywhere here or in the breaking news forum.

It's a bit of a simplification, but I see where they're coming from.

But compare Turner, Spurrier and Zorn to Schottenheimer and Gibbs and I know which type of coach I want heading up my team. Granted, Schott only got one season, but he turned around an 0-5 team to an 8-8 one, with a sub-par roster. He himself says that is one of his greatest achievements as a coach. Gibbs blew hot and cold, but again made the best out of what he had and put so much heart and fight into the two teams that made it into the playoffs - overachievers.

Can't say that about the other three coaches and that's why Shanahan excites me. Let's just hope that he and Bruce can help build a great roster for his tenure - a team that achieves greatness because that's what it's capable of, rather than one which deceives in what it overachieves.

I think Mike Shanahan has the right idea about discipline.

I also think that discipline is a much-overrated factor. The coach who loses won't maintain discipline for long. The coach who wins, can be as laid-back as he wants to be and everyone will think he's great.

I've always had a mental note about this. It's especially apparent when you look at the Snyder hires (I still attribute the Shanahan hire to Bruce Allen).

We went from Norv Turner (offensive-minded/lax) to Marty Schottenheimer (defensive-minded/strict) to Steve Spurrier (offensive-minded/lax) to Joe Gibbs (tough to classify, but the idea was that he'd bring accountability back to the team) to Jim Zorn (offensive-minded/lax).

Now with Shanahan, we have someone who is offensive-minded, but who is very strict. I like this fit the best (maybe because he's paired with a true exec in Allen).

I think Mike Shanahan has the right idea about discipline.

I also think that discipline is a much-overrated factor. The coach who loses won't maintain discipline for long. The coach who wins, can be as laid-back as he wants to be and everyone will think he's great.

Ala, Rex Ryan. Defensive genius who isn't beating his players into the ground and screaming and yelling at pressers.

Archived