Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Resume advice

hockeysc23

So I found a job online that I would really like. It's something that I don't have day to day concrete experience in but my hobbies would apply. And I do work I could say is related

It's a marketing job that requires researching, planning, advertising, and social marketing.

I meet the minimum requirements they are looking for but since my degree is in Finance and my job experience is in Federal Consulting I know it is going to take some work to even get in the door.

Mostly I do some graphics work, work with clients, process mapping, process improvement, etc.

But this is a job I really really want.

Any advice to best frame my resume? Should my cover letter indicate how much I want the job and relate my intangible experiences?

Should I get letters of recommendation from coworkers about my ability to learn quickly new techniques and apply them to show I can learn a semi new field quickly while producing results?

Any thoughts, good wishes or ideas are appreciated.

Cover letter is key if its a person, no discussion of salary.

Research and ask pointed questions that show you did your research.

Follow up phone call and/or thank you letter for the time.

Be early for any interview and dress to impress.

When i was hiring, those that wanted it the most were easy to pick out.

PSA:

IF you fudge the resume and your fired in 90days, can you get your old job back?

I got friends still out of work since Feb (they were top 10% workers)... Don't mess around during a recession without a fall back.

Cover letter is key if its a person, no discussion of salary.

Research and ask pointed questions that show you did your research.

Follow up phone call and/or thank you letter for the time.

Be early for any interview and dress to impress.

When i was hiring, those that wanted it the most were easy to pick out.

PSA:

IF you fudge the resume and your fired in 90days, can you get your old job back?

I got friends still out of work since Feb (they were top 10% workers)... Don't mess around during a recession without a fall back.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't fudge my resume at all. Just want to tailor it to show I can learn new tasks quickly and can make an impact even though my relevant day to day experience doesn't directly correlate.

I think my biggest concern is even getting in the door since i am sure there will be a lot of marketing specific people that are applying. If I can get an interview then hopefully I can show my passion etc. Just need to get in the door to talk to someone.

In your cover letter you should focus more on demonstrable experience that relates to the job as opposed to simply saying how much you want the job.

In terms of your experience, focus your resume on those aspects of your jobs which DO relate to the new position, even if those aspects took up a small amount of your time.

Hockey, it is clear you know what to put on the resume. You know how you want to convey it. Just do it.

Thanks, guess I was just looking for any extra tips or advice since this almost amounts to a dream job I don't want to let slip past me.

I didn't want to miss out on something and kick myself later because forums allow you to reach a wide audience to get feedback and bounce ideas off of.

Just write the thing and have us look at it then. Skip the name and address. I would look at that resume (without name and such) and tell you right then and there if you are even potentially hireable.

If I thought you were stupid from my experience reading your posts, I wouldn't have even bothered to post in this thread.

Show me the money.

I would also advise you to keep the resume 'key-word rich' since it is an online job that will probably get a ton of resumes sent in. Its too bad, but many good resumes get thrown out in the first scan of the pile since they do not jump out to the scanner as having the correct experiences/skills.

Key words is important for a job that will get a ton of resumes.

But be careful not to allow that to become the entire point of it.

Take the time to not only spell check it, but have someone else check for grammar errors as well. Things the spellcheck might miss.

Archived