Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 6 (Final)

bredskin

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 6

08/03/10

:helmet:

Hello and welcome to Extremeskins coverage Day 6. Bredskin back on site. I am running solo, until JimmiJo learns how to change a flat tire. The Vegas over under on how long that will take is 3.5 hours. I will keep you posted.

As you have heard by now, Colt is gone and John Beck has arrived via the Ravens. We'll keep an eye on him today and see how he stands up to Grossman and Bartel.

Get ready for your Haynesworth daily update.......

No, he is not running.

Practice begins at 8:30 and we will be updating throughout the day. It is going to be in the high 70s, low 80s, for the morning practice, no rain in the forecast.

We will be heading down to the field in a few minutes. You can following along on Twitter @Skinscast.

Feel free to post any questions.

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from John Beck click HERE

To listen to comments from Rex Grossman click HERE

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall click HERE

To listen to comments from Stephon Heyer click HERE

To listen to comments from Keenan McCardell click HERE

To listen to comments from Santana Moss click HERE

To listen to comments from Nick Sundberg click HERE

REFFKIN'S RAMBLINGS

The morning session is in the books. Once again, the practice was well organized and upbeat. The attitude in the air is very positive. The players are certainly working hard and the coaches appear to like what they see. At least, that is what they are telling us.

Overall, I would say that the defense had the big edge today. So that is where I will start.

The cornerback position was the position that I was really focusing in on. Carlos Rogers is having an excellent camp. He is playing very physical on the outside. He has always has the physical attributes to play the position, but he seems to have had a solid off season and it is showing on the field. He broke up several passes today, while providing blanket coverage. He also picked McNabb today during the 7 on 7 drills. Yes, he did hold onto the football. He also has been moving into the slot in nickel situations, showing his versatility. The coaches are very high on him so far in camp. Maybe he is playing well because it is a contract year. Whatever it is, I like it.

DeAngelo Hall has had a solid camp. He is a solid cornerback and has made plays since the day he arrived in Washington. If he limits mistakes, he should be a solid starter for the Redskins this season. I expect him to create turnovers in this defense.

After the starters, things get murky. Phillip Buchanon and Justin Tryon are battling for the nickel corner position. Neither has particularly stood out for me, so we will have to keep our eye on this battle throughout the rest of camp. I personally am hoping that Buchanon can take the spot. I am not comfortable with Tryon’s size.

That leaves us Byron Westbrook and Kevin Barnes. Westbrook has had a quiet camp. Barnes has been active in run support, but struggled today staying with receivers. He got turned around a couple of times. In the NFL, that is not a good thing. If the Redskins keep six cornerbacks, both should be safe. I personally am rooting for Barnes, go Terps!

From the defensive end perspective, Vonnie Holliday and Phillip Daniels ran with the first team. It had been Kedric Golston and Adam Carriker, who I am very high on. During the Mike Shanahan press conference, he said not to read too much into the change. Usually the 11 on 11 drills face the first team offense vs. the second team defense and the second team offense vs. the first team defense. Changing the starters to the second group allow them to see time against Jerome Brown and Trent Williams. All four have looked good in camp. When “big boy” passes his test, he will man the right DE position. Originally Jeremy Jarmon was slated to be moved to outside linebacker, but he has put on weight and is now around 290. This is good size for a “3-4” defensive end. The coaches seem pleased with his progress, but how many ends will they keep?

At the safety position, Laron Landry and Kareem Moore seem set as the starters. Landry has been very good so far in camp, and seems to have recovered from his off season toe injury. Kareem Moore looks much more comfortable on the field than he did last season. He is seeing the field better and seems to be keeping himself in good position. Both had interceptions today. Moore intercepted an underthrown Rex Grossman pass and Landry blew up a screen, intercepted the ball, and scored. It was definitely the play of the day. The screen was also thrown by Grossman. Reed Doughty and Chris Horton are having good camps as well. The safety position seems solid.

Offensively, the Redskins were not particularly crisp in the passing game today. McNabb seemed more accurate when I saw him on Sunday. He bounced a couple today. But, he did hit a couple long comeback routes, one to Moss. He also threw the pick to Rogers, in the 7 on 7’s.

Grossman did not look particularly accurate during early passing drills, but a little better in the 11 on 11s. Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t great, but he did have a few nice ones, including a seam route to Fred Davis, beating broken coverage between Laron Landry and Kareem Moore. With that being said, the turnovers must be corrected. Overall, Grossman does have a good grasp on the offense, having been in it last season in Houston.

Richard Bartel had a relatively quiet day, but did have a nice touchdown pass to Terrence Austin. Newcomer John Beck (wearing #3), did not participate in the 11 on 11s. He did see some action in the 7 on 7s, but mostly threw swing passes. It was obvious that he was lost. If you are wondering if he has been in an offense similar to this one, the answer is no. He looks like he has a lot to learn. However, he does have a nice compact throwing motion that the coaches seem to like.

It was a pleasure reporting from Redskins Park today, my last day of training camp. As I mentioned on Sunday, the atmosphere is much more positive that last season. The new coaching staff and General Manager have brought a breath of fresh air into this organization. For Redskin fans everywhere, there is cause to be cautiously optimistic.

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 6

Feel free to post any questions.

Bredskin and your crew thanks for the work you guys do it feeds a Redskins hungry fan base.

I have a few questions and a suggestion.

The suggestion first: do you think you could focus on a position group each day and give a detailed report from starter to the lowest back-up?

My quick questions........(some of the question might require speaking to coaches but hey i thought i'd ask you know?)

What news of the ILBs?

Especially the back-ups and rookie Riley.

How are Rocky and Fletch adjusting?

Are they fighting with more OL in this scheme or are they being kept clean in practice?

Are our ILB postions interchangeable or is there a designated SILB/buck and WILB/mack and if so who's who?

Is Curtis Gatewood playing ILB or OLB and how's he doing?

Who are the actual back-up NTs and how do they look?

What does the RDE do in this scheme?

Do they take on blockers or do they attack gaps and penetrate into the backfield and if they do both about how much do they do each?

How is Kemo looking?

How are the back-up OL looking? Stephon Heyer, Corey Lichtensteiger,Robinson, Selfvish Caspers and Cook looking?

Bredskin and your crew thanks for the work you guys do it feeds a Redskins hungry fan base.

I have a few questions and a suggestion.

How are Rocky and Fletch adjusting?

They seem to be adjusting nicely. However, until it is really full speed full contact, it is still hard to say.

Are they fighting with more OL in this scheme or are they being kept clean in practice?

The DL should eat up the blocks and keep the ILBs free.

Who are the actual back-up NTs and how do they look?

Howard Green, Anthony Bryant are the backups. They look fair. Thjey are huge bodies.

What does the RDE do in this scheme?

Do they take on blockers or do they attack gaps and penetrate into the backfield and if they do both about how much do they do each?

Mostly eat blockers. However, assignments change in the 3-4 on each play. That is the beauty of the defense, it keeps the offensive off balance. At times they may be asked to penetrate and make plays.

How is Kemo looking?

Kemo is a great find and will be our first and second down NT. He is massive and is made for the position.

How are the back-up OL looking? Stephon Heyer, Corey Lichtensteiger,Robinson, Selfvish Caspers and Cook looking?

Fair at best. Hoping no one gets hurt.

you guys are something else ... this coverage is so damn appreciated by all of us.

How active is Haslett during practices? Anythign like GW?

How about Kyle?

Do scouts from other teams ever come to skins practices? I would imagine that would bush league, but just curious.

The DL should eat up the blocks and keep the ILBs free.

So basically the DL are playing 2 gap?

Are OL making it to the second level?

How often are our ILBs fighting OL? %

How are Riley, Henson, Draft looking and is Gatewood at ILB or OLB?

*Are our ILB postions interchangeable or is there a designated SILB/buck and WILB/mack and if so who's who? (My guess is that Rocky is the WILB?)

[rde] At times they may be asked to penetrate and make plays.

If you could give it % is the RDE 50/50 penetrate vs 2-gap?

Kemo is a great find and will be our first and second down NT. He is massive and is made for the position.

Music to my ears bro.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and to answer my questions.

I promise i won't ask anymore.....today

HTTR!

yuengling2.jpg

you guys are something else ... this coverage is so damn appreciated by all of us.

How active is Haslett during practices? Anythign like GW?

How about Kyle?

Do scouts from other teams ever come to skins practices? I would imagine that would bush league, but just curious.

Since Reffkin is down on the field watching practice I figured I'd lend a hand. All three of your top coaches - Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and Jim Haslett - are fairly subdued during practice. None of them comes close to Gregg Williams, in terms of screaming and yelling.

In fact, I don't think I can say with any certainty that I've heard any of the three of them talk loud enough during practice to be able to quote them from the sidelines. By all accounts, Mike Shanahan prefers to observe and then waits until they're in meetings/watching film to speak up to players.

Haslett, when I've paid attention to him, has also preferred to lay back in the weeds a little bit while his position coaches run their individual drills. It definitely seems he's taking a cue from the head coach in that regard.

Kyle is probably the most involved of the three during a regular practice, but that's because he's there running the drills and giving instant feedback to receivers or whoever.

The entire tempo and mindset at practices these days is different. Everything seems more efficient and there is no lull in between drills. Players know what's expected of them and therefore there's little reason for the top coaches to raise voices. While I enjoyed Gregg Williams, this method seems to be working.

Coaches might no speak up that exact moment. But if players aren't doing something right, they'll know sooner rather than later.

As for scouts, they're only allowed to attend practices if you charge admission. Thankfully, those days are gone.

Since Reffkin is down on the field watching practice I figured I'd lend a hand. All three of your top coaches - Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and Jim Haslett - are fairly subdued during practice. None of them comes close to Gregg Williams, in terms of screaming and yelling.

thx murf ... i went to the 7/29 practice and i could not tell if the coaches were screamers or not since i was bit back up on the hill ...

i knew coach was pretty laid back, but no clue about "Haze"lett and Kyle.

Does anyone know why they changed fields and practiced on the back field today? Just curious if they are protecting the grass or trying to keep us from knowing too much! ;)

For those of you who are long distance, little #16, Brandon Banks, was signing autographs until he was told he HAD to leave, and then he apologized to the kids around him. What a nice young man; I hope he makes the team! (PD was still signing when I left; guess no one tells him to leave!)

Most don't come sign over at the open admission side, just sign for the VIP folks, so the guys who make the effort are greatly appreciated. Today I saw Reed, Devin, Lorenzo, Brandon and the running backs coach. They were just dripping sweat, so it was a real nice thing for them to do.

Thanks C4. we appreciate it.

I don't appreciate it at all!!!!

Even though you guys provide this excellent information to me for free, I still have to log onto my computer and click on a few links!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS! Shouldn't this information be waiting for me on my kitchen table along with an ice cold beer and a hot supermodel? What is wrong with you jerks?

(Satire disclaimer - towards the ungrateful poster from last week who resented that he had to click on a link to get his free information...)

Newcomer John Beck (wearing #3), did not participate in the 11 on 11s. He did see some action in the 7 on 7s, but mostly threw swing passes. It was obvious that he was lost. If you are wondering if he has been in an offense similar to this one, the answer is no. He looks like he has a lot to learn. However, he does have a nice compact throwing motion that the coaches seem to like.

Thanks for the work fellas.

Out of curiosity what makes you say the coaches seem to like it?

Archived