Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin Motorcycle Riders

Rob Mexico

Hey Skins fans. I ride a Harley and was thinking about how great it would be to go on a group ride with a lot of Skins fans. I picture us all wearing jerseys and going on a nice ride in the Northern VA area. So basically I am checking to see if there is anybody out there that would be interested in it. Imagine how awesome it would look.

HAIL!!

I am actually taking classes right now ("right now" as in the last 2 days I've taken the classroom course, and tom and Sunday I'm taking the riding sessions for my license!!!):D.

I'm totally green going in. I'm a mixture of excited, anxious, and yea... I'm man enough to say it... even a lil' scared. Definitely amped overall.

Any suggestions, tips, stories from some vets?

Dress for the fall, gear up. Not sure if there is a helmet law where you are, but helmet, gloves, a riding jacket, jeans and boots. If you have to take a ride on the cheese grater you'll wish you had prepared for it.

Oh, and watch the wheels of cars at intersections, it's one of the best ways to tell if they start moving.

Ride like everyone is out to get you.

Have fun.

Oh and probably most importantly, learn the biker wave; left arm extended below the handle bar, palm open. Don't wave like a goofus.:pfft:

I am actually taking classes right now ("right now" as in the last 2 days I've taken the classroom course, and tom and Sunday I'm taking the riding sessions for my license!!!).

I'm totally green going in. I'm a mixture of excited, anxious, and yea... I'm man enough to say it... even a lil' scared. Definitely amped overall.

Dress for the fall, gear up. Not sure if there is a helmet law where you are, but helmet, gloves, a riding jacket, jeans and boots. If you have to take a ride on the cheese grater you'll wish you had prepared for it.

Oh, and watch the wheels of cars at intersections, it's one of the best ways to tell if they start moving.

Ride like everyone is out to get you.

Have fun.

Oh and probably most importantly, learn the biker wave; left arm extended below the handle bar, palm open. Don't wave like a goofus.:pfft:

Agree with the gear. Look into the different types of gear you can get. They have some lighter jackets for summer riding but the general rule is if its too hot for a jacket, its too hot to ride. The best riders in the world still get into accidents. No matter how good you get, it wont stop other drivers from being bad. You will learn quickly to ride like no one can see you. Cars will merge into you without paying attention. I have had two cars stare right at me and pull out in front of me anyway in the last month. Just expect every car to do things like that and you should be fine.

The biker wave is ACTUALLY left arm extended below the handle bar with two fingers out (for two wheels). Its called throwing the duece by the more hip crowd lol. But yea just basically keep your hand below the handle bars either way so you dont look like a dork waving :silly:.

Do you have a bike yet PSUHeckler?

Agree with the gear. Look into the different types of gear you can get. They have some lighter jackets for summer riding but the general rule is if its too hot for a jacket, its too hot to ride.

There is a company out there that is producing basically water coolers for bikers now. It has 2 parts - the inner vest has a micro-tubing system which is fed cold/cool water from the second part which is a small backback (think camelback) that holds water/ice and a small battery-operated water pump.

I have not tried one yet (they run like 350.00 and only go up to XL), but I have talked to a couple of riders that love theirs' since it lets them wear full leathers in the summer comfortably as long as they keep hydrated.

The best riders in the world still get into accidents. No matter how good you get, it wont stop other drivers from being bad. You will learn quickly to ride like no one can see you. Cars will merge into you without paying attention. I have had two cars stare right at me and pull out in front of me anyway in the last month. Just expect every car to do things like that and you should be fine.

Painfully, I have to agree. :doh:

Like I told my wife when she first started riding "Assume every driver out there is a 80 year old with poor eyesight and a vendetta against motorcycles."

Lax, You must be a little guy. That's a pretty small bike you got there.

It looks small because its a naked standard bike. Its really not small. It looks bigger with full fairings but I like the naked look. You strip the fairings off the sport bikes and they look tiny as well. Im 6' about 220 and my feet barely are flat on the ground and the dry weight on the bike is 376 lbs. For comparison, a GSXR 600 dry weight is 359 lbs.

It looks small because its a naked standard bike. Its really not small. It looks bigger with full fairings but I like the naked look. You strip the fairings off the sport bikes and they look tiny as well. Im 6' about 220 and my feet barely are flat on the ground and the dry weight on the bike is 376 lbs. For comparison, a GSXR 600 dry weight is 359 lbs.

Ya, I was gonna say that bike ain't all that small. I was on the tips of my boots the one time I tried one on.

They are nice, but not sure I would agree with them being a "perfect" first bike with 72 bhp. Maybe for a mature rider (talking emotionally, not necessarily age), but there are a fair amount of new riders who would get themselves into trouble fast on one (or most 600+ cc sport/naked bikes).

Edit: Figured I would show off my piece of j...errr...my bike:

bike1-1.jpg

2004 Honda VTX 1300C

Currently saving up for this:

2010_Triumph_Rocket_III_Roadster.jpg

2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

2.3 L Inline 3

146 BHP

164 Torque

ABS

Do you have a bike yet PSUHeckler?

I'm eventually picking up a Suzuki 750. Sat on it, feels comfortable. I think it's on the upper-hand of size of what I wanted start with but a friend has it; sold me on it cause he was OK w/ payment plan, just got new tires, battery, etc, just inspected and overall just helped getting me started.

Luckily enough though, even after I get my license *knock on wood* tomorrow, I plan to master a smaller bike before I head out on the 750. I plan to take the gf's until I'm ready to move up :). Not to steal the thread, but I never even rode a stick shift car, so going into my first riding experience in today's class was a trip. It wasn't until I clarified it w/ one of the instructors did he understand why I was having trouble with the clutch. Biggest weakness for me is still the 1st gear and the "friction zone" with the clutch. Maneuvering, changing gears for a complete beginner I think I did pretty good.

Welp, I'm sure I'll be back on tomorrow night to tell how I did. BTW, any suggestions for getting the smoothest start, and even shifting w/ the clutch? Also recommendation for jackets? Thanks in advance guys (and any girls).

Also recommendation for jackets? Thanks in advance guys (and any girls).

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

This is where I normally get my gear.

This is the jacket that I use for summer riding.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/20195/ITEM/Fieldsheer-High-Flow-II-Mesh-Jacket.aspx

It is mesh which allows for great airflow to keep you cool, plus it has armor on the elbows, shoulders and back, it also comes with a removable liner for cooler days. Definitely not a cold weather riding jacket, for that you'll want leather. You could do yourself a favor and get some mesh riding gloves too, took a bumble bee off the knuckle before I got mine, they are amazingly high flow and you can wear them on all but the coldest days.

Oh and don't go cheap with your helmet. I bought an AFX because it looked cool and the price was low, I sent it back the day I got it, and bought an HJC and I have not regretted it. The fit and build of the helmet is FAR superior to the AFX. You've only got one head, and if your helmet doesn't feel right then you'll be tempted to not wear it.

Ya, I was gonna say that bike ain't all that small. I was on the tips of my boots the one time I tried one on.

They are nice, but not sure I would agree with them being a "perfect" first bike with 72 bhp. Maybe for a mature rider (talking emotionally, not necessarily age), but there are a fair amount of new riders who would get themselves into trouble fast on one (or most 600+ cc sport/naked bikes).

It met everything I was looking for. Something I wouldnt get bored with but something that I wouldnt kill myself on. I didnt want to get a 250 and then want a new bike in a month. The only issue for new riders is managing the low end torque the bike has. I had no problem with that because of driving a stick. Someone completely new to operating a clutch would have more trouble.

I'm eventually picking up a Suzuki 750. Sat on it, feels comfortable. I think it's on the upper-hand of size of what I wanted start with but a friend has it; sold me on it cause he was OK w/ payment plan, just got new tires, battery, etc, just inspected and overall just helped getting me started.

Luckily enough though, even after I get my license *knock on wood* tomorrow, I plan to master a smaller bike before I head out on the 750. I plan to take the gf's until I'm ready to move up :). Not to steal the thread, but I never even rode a stick shift car, so going into my first riding experience in today's class was a trip. It wasn't until I clarified it w/ one of the instructors did he understand why I was having trouble with the clutch. Biggest weakness for me is still the 1st gear and the "friction zone" with the clutch. Maneuvering, changing gears for a complete beginner I think I did pretty good.

Welp, I'm sure I'll be back on tomorrow night to tell how I did. BTW, any suggestions for getting the smoothest start, and even shifting w/ the clutch? Also recommendation for jackets? Thanks in advance guys (and any girls).

Just be careful and dont push your limits on the bike. As far as shifting goes, just practice feeling the friction zone without any throttle. Let out the clutch until you hit it and then pull it back in. Keep doing that until you know exactly where it is by feel. Then slowly work in use of a little throttle. If you keep doing this, it will eventually be second nature. As far as jackets go, go to a store and try things on first. Then order online because they are cheaper.

You don't like your VTX? What's wrong with it?

The bike currently has 5.5K miles on it over the course of 4 years for various reasons, not all of which is the bikes fault. However, on my previous bike (VStar 650) I rode 3x that much in a year.

The only major thing was a weird issue that developed about 6 months after I bought it. I would be bopping down the road, and it would just shut down. No warning, just silence as I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and would not start back up. The first time I had it towed to a shop (bought in VA, then moved to TX), they said the rectifier was shot and replaced it. It then proceeded to shut down on me three more times, two different shops could not find a problem, and it never happend again. Considering most of the distance riding around here involves being out on desert roads with areas where cell phone service is spotty, having your bike shut down on ya does not inspire confidence.

I am on my 4th battery. One of those was due to being in an accident and not being able to ride for 6 months and letting my battery maintance slip, so I do not really count that one. The rest are little things that just bug the hell out of me, such as the speedo developing an extremely annoying rattle every 100 miles or so. Easy to fix, just annoying. Plus the overall "feel" of the bike is cheap (messy frame welds, side covers that pop off at weird times, etc).

Hondas are good bikes, and most love their VTXs, I just have had a bad experience with mine. Add in the fact that I do not care for the direction they are heading with their styling, and this will be my last Honda cruiser for the forseeable future. I started looking for a replacement about 2 years ago, and right now just waiting for my job situation to even out before I pull the trigger on a new bike.

Archived