Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steve Jobs has a "little problem" with the new I-phone 4

rdsknbill

Who are ES' Quarterbacks?  

456 members have voted

1. 1. Who are ES' Quarterbacks?

If the iPhone were on verizon as well maybe there wont be such a data crash for att.

Eventually, that's what will happen, once the wealth gets spread around, AT&T will benefit. But the problem is that Verizon's network is not compatible yet...

I bought a BlackBerry this year and never had issues with data and can't remember the last time I've dropped a call.

It always seems to be iPhone users complaining about it. Does the iPhone have a lousy antenna or something?

A third party claimed that it was likely an iPhone problem rather than AT&T, however, i've honestly never had any problem with dropped calls with 2 different iPhones. IMO, it probably depends on the area. In Hampton roads, AT&T is the equal of verizon if not outright better. I get 3g service out in the bay past cape Henry, my dad does not with his droid.

Why don't you do a little research into the footprint of the networks? The reason Verizon's 3G network literally dwarfs AT&T is because there is an enormous infrastructure difference. More devices means more bandwidth. 10 users using 5 network devices on AT&T does not equate to 10 users using 10 network devices on VzW. If VzW had the exact same number of network devices, then yes, VzW would run into the same issue AT&T has. But since that isn't the case, and since VzW has a more diverse smart phone lineup, this issue will be mostly mitigated.

However, that does not mean that Verizon has more towers in certain cities. Nor does it means their towers are more dense in these areas. It simply means they have more towers across the country so their 3G coverage on the map of the US is larger. Actually, around the DC and VA area, AT&T has more towers. So no, 10 Verizon users in the same area probably are accessing the same number of towers as 10 AT&T users in the same area. However, those 10 Verizon users can get 3G in more areas, since AT&T doesn't have as much coverage. It does not have have more towers in certain areas as that implies. In fact in certain areas it is the other way around.

So no, more towers does not mean more bandwidth. More towers mean more coverage and access to 3G. More densely populated towers means more bandwidth. Verizon isn't necessary more dense in every area, their towers just cover a larger area. And in the areas they aren't as dense, their bandwidth would be even less.

Would be interested what it is in other major cities.

http://www.cellreception.com/

But, I leave that to someone else, as the only area I care about is where I am. I have VERY rarely had a drop call and that was a few years back where AT&T added some towers. I have very good 3G experiences. However, I have some friends on Verizon who drop on me when talking on my home phone, and they also get frequent delays in text messages.

Not bashing Verizon, but just saying what I know. I wished earlier on that Verizon would get the iPhone. I would think about switching.

But not being able to talk and do data at the same time sucks in my mind. I use that quite often.

That being said of all Smart Phones on all Networks that browse the web, over 50% of them are iPhones. That means over 50% of all smart phones that are surfing the web are on AT&T. So I would wager that means there is more data traffic going over the AT&T network than any other network. AND that is within 3G in fewer areas.

So if Verizon does get the iPhone and by then allow voice and data at the same time, I wouldn't put my money on Verizon's network not being impacted. I would wager the other way around

Archived