Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: In The Footsteps of Harriet Tubman (now with links)

Burgold

A few weeks ago, I drove down to Cambridge, MD where Harriet Tubman was born, escaped, and returned 13 times. I learned a good deal I hadn't picked up in history class. On a side note, symbolically I think it was very cool that about five miles awayfrom the place she first flew from is the nesting ground of bald eagles in the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.

The piece I produced will lead off MC on Friday, but it was cool stepping back into time and thinking about these journeys. Like how I thought it was a long trip for me to drive to Cambridge from DC. It took 2 and a half hours and then thinking about how long it would have taken her and the runaways traveling with her to cross the distances they went to get up to New York or Canada.

Here's the intro to the piece...

To some, she was 'Moses.' Friends and family knew her by the nickname Minty. Nearly all of us know her from grade school textbooks. But to many Americans - even in her birthplace on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - Harriet Tubman remains a mystery.

During the course of her life, the Underground Railroad conductor returned to the Eastern Shore 13 times and led about 70 slaves north to freedom. And according to Tubman herself, 'never lost a passenger.' Now her home is making plans to honor her story

many of those slaves were processed just a few miles from where i live here in nj and a large number were processed two blocks from where i currently live. i've visited the nj museum numerous times.

also, there are numerous historic homes - all within a twenty-five mile radius - that served the underground.

It's cool stuff. Bravery on a lot of levels from those running to those willing to risk the potential costs of helping. I think about it and wonder if it was similar to the risks hundreds of Germans took in hiding Jews in Germany in WWII.

I was told a story of one MD family that would prepare these large meals and then order all the kids and grandkids out of the house and they would all go to visit a relative across the town overnight. Supposedly, the family never really "knew" why, but when they returned all the food would be gone.

So, secrets were technically being kept from neighbors and even family because you never knew who was sympathetic and you wanted to protect yourself even if you were good enought to want to help.

A few weeks ago, I drove down to Cambridge, MD where Harriet Tubman was born, escaped, and returned 13 times.

Why did you leave and return so many times and who was after you?

(Can't help myself, I'm a smartass :)) It really is a remarkable part of history, thanks for sharing.

Hey, just a head's up for those who want to listen to the piece live. It will be played locally on WAMU 88.5 FM at about 1 pm and then be available on the archive at wamu.org/programs/mc about an hour after the show's completion (3 or four). My bit is the first six minutes and that it follows with the host interviewing an author about her research into Tubman.

Archived