Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Payton, Saints deny accusations of pain-pill theft

blitzpackage

Seems a little strange, but head coach Sean Payton and linebacker coach Joe Vitt are accused by a former Saints security director and FBI employee of stealing Vicodin from the drug locker last year. This will get interesting.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NFL.com Wire Reports

The New Orleans Saints' former security director has accused the team of trying to cover up the theft of prescription pain pills from its drug locker, less than three months after its thrilling Super Bowl XLIV victory. One of those allegedly involved was Saints coach Sean Payton, two people familiar with the case told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the suit. Payton and the Saints denied the allegations, and the coach wasn't named in court papers.

The lawsuit, filed Friday by former FBI agent Geoffrey Santini, alleges that one senior staff member stole Vicodin pills while another was given an amount large enough to constitute abuse. Times-Picayune sources confirmed a ProFootballTalk.com report that the staff members are Payton and Saints linebacker coach Joe Vitt. According to the sources, Vitt allegedly stole the pills and Payton reportedly took them despite not having a medical condition. No allegations were made against any Saints players, AP's sources said.

Full article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817e7318&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I know everyone is tired of talking about off the field issues, and would just rather talk about on the field issues, but the lack of attention this story is getting, baffles me. Prescription drug abuse is a major problem in this country. We are trying to get kids to stay away from them, and to get the point across that just because you can find them in the medicine cabinet, doesn't mean they aren't bad for you. Roger Goodell needs to do a thorough investigation of this, and if the accusations are true, then they need to be punished. We cannot let kids think that this is not a big deal.

BTW, just imagine if this was a player who got caught...especially a player who the media and fans did not like. Just think how big a story it would be then. Coaches represent the NFL just as much as the players do; they need to be held to them same standards.

daaaaaaamn... In my opinion, the Owner of this team should've paid someone off here.. I'm sure saving the face of your organization would've been well worth 1 million buckaroo's.

I would guess that this stuff happens all the time in the NFL. Again guessing, I could see players eating loads of percs, oxys & vik's, on the flight home, after a hard fought game. How else could they get through so much pain from collision? One hard hit HAS to be equal to the impact of a car accident. Some of these dudes encounter such carnage 35+ times per game. I've always assumed that opiates are the "best kept secret" in the NFL. Hopefully, this incident doesn't unravel a larger, more intricate web thats likely been swept under the rug for quite some time now.

As far as the reality of prescription drug abuse, I'm going to make yet another assumption that 9/10's of this country are hooked and medicated on SOMETHING. I know enough opiate addicts, personally, to see that the situation isn't treated, in this country, as seriously as it probably should be. Papaver Somniferum... she is a beautiful gift from nature. Addiction, however just as real, is a disease capable of destroying even the strongest and most intelligent of humans.. I would guess that addiction is, likely, the #1 dilemna encountered in the many lives around us.

Ahh, yes. The 'ol "Sick man vs The rich doctor" debate. It is a deep one, indeed.

It's also a touchy subject to some.. Just my 2cents..

Yeah I can't believe this story hasn't garnered much attention here either. The former security guard claims to have video of the incident.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Santini gave evidence he collected to federal authorities before he resigned from the Saints last August and also kept his own copies of video and audio recordings that his lawyer, Donald Hyatt II, said backs up his civil case.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81806729&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to know like Arsenic said..maybe they were for players?? still they went about it all the wrong way of course.....

or is Sean Peyton just waking up right now with a big bowl of Vicodin and milk and eating em like corn pops right now????

Archived