Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Giants, rest of NFC East, covered at cornerback

Thinking Skins

They kinda disgrace Champ and Smoot, but look where its coming from...

Giants, rest of NFC East, covered at cornerback

BY RICK GOSSELIN

The Dallas Morning News

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6535794.htm

ALBANY, N.Y. - (KRT) - With the emergence of Derek Ross as a rookie in 2002 and the selection of Terence Newman with the fifth overall pick of the 2003 NFL draft, it's fashionable to call the Cowboys pair the best young cornerback tandem in football.

Fashionable maybe, but wrong.

Cornerback may indeed emerge as a strength of the Cowboys in 2003. But the promising pairing of Newman and Ross would probably be the fourth-best coverage tandem in the division, much less the NFL.

Six starting cornerbacks return on the other three teams in the NFC East - and all three teams ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in pass defense in 2002.

"This division has always been loaded at cornerback," Philadelphia corner Troy Vincent said. "Look at the history of Pro Bowlers. They're generally from the East, usually two of the three. It's been a tradition that started long ago with Darrell Green. Deion Sanders, Eric Allen, Aeneas Williams, myself, now Champ Bailey. "This has been a division that elevates corners."

The best tandem is in Philadelphia, where Vincent and Bobby Taylor have combined for five Pro Bowls and 57 interceptions in their 19 seasons. If this isn't the best cornerback tandem in the NFL, then Miami's duo of Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain is.

So much for the best pair. Now the young part. Newman turns 25 on Sept. 4. Will Allen of the New York Giants turned 25 last week. His partner, Will Peterson, is 24.

Bailey is arguably the best corner in the East. Which automatically makes him the best young corner. He is just three months older than Newman but already has played four NFL seasons, intercepted 16 passes and gone to three Pro Bowls. His partner, Fred Smoot, is 24 and has nine career interceptions.

That pair helped the Redskins finish fifth in the NFL in pass defense a year ago. The Eagles finished seventh, the Giants ninth.

Ross, if he survives camp competition from Mario Edwards, would be the youngest starting cornerback in the division at 23. Although he started only nine games last season, he intercepted five passes, tops among the NFL's rookie corners. Newman arrives with a Thorpe Trophy as college football's best defensive back in 2002.

But a Newman-Ross pairing also would be the smallest set of corners in the division. Newman goes 5-11, 188 pounds and Ross 5-10, 197. The Cowboys would be the only team in the division without a 6-footer at corner.

The Giants wouldn't trade their pair straight up for Newman and Ross. The Giants wouldn't trade their pair straight up for Bailey and Smoot, either.

"Ace high," Giants defensive coordinator Johnnie Lynn said, "and I've got two of them."

Like Bailey, Vincent and Newman, Allen arrived in the NFL as a first-round pick. He started his final three years at Syracuse and his first two in the NFL. He was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2002.

Peterson arrived in the same draft as Allen as a third-rounder out of Western Illinois. But don't let the small school fool you. He spent two seasons at Michigan before transferring. He played nickel cornerback for the Giants as a rookie, then pushed Jason Sehorn out of a starting job in 2002.

Peterson serves as New York's big corner at 6-0, 200 pounds. But Allen also is equipped to play a physical game at 5-11, 196. And the Giants do play a physical brand of man coverage with Allen and Peterson thriving as pressing, in-your-face corners.

Both Allen and Peterson have the speed that Ross lacks. Allen, in fact, has Newman speed, running a 4.29 40-yard dash at his campus workout at Syracuse.

The Giants played Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt last season and none of them managed 100 yards. The Giants allowed only 17 touchdown passes in 2002, fifth fewest in the NFL.

Fassel thinks his cornerback tandem is beyond comparisons in the division. He says he wouldn't swap his pair for any in football.

"I like them for their talent, toughness, personality," Fassel said. "They're the right fit for this team. They're great guys, tough guys, team guys. They're all about the team. I like that."

So the bar has been set for Newman and Ross. If they can play with Allen and Peterson, they can play with the best young cornerbacks in football.

----

Why is it so funny to say the Giants wouldn't trade the Will's for Bailey and Smoot? I wouldn't want that trade. I completely admit that Bailey is the best corner probably in the league but as far as the Giants defense, Allen and Petersen are a great fit for what the Giants do. As you saw, the numbers the Giants passing defense accomplished were pretty good for two CB's who are 24 and 25. They will only get better. The Giants pass defense was better last year than they have been for a long while. And that is thanks to our CB's.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't want Allen and Petersen to go anywhere for any other CB duo. I think Allen and Petersen will be looked upon as two of the best in the next several years.

Archived