Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

question about unemployment

boston skins fan

So i just got put on a permanant vacation (laid off). I take it as a blessing in disguise because it give me a reason to move back home closer to my family.

Here is my question: I got laid off in massachussetts and want to move back to ny where my family is. Where do i collect unemployment is it the state that i live or where i got laid off from.

i cant wait to get back to work. but it wont be until july after the world cup:)

I guess there's a few more things you need to know about unemployment :

* You're required to apply for a certain number of jobs per week.

* You're expected to accept a job offer if you receive one.

* You better hope someone who works for the State of MA doesn't see what you just posted :)

I expect to be unemployed late this year.

I live in NC and work in SC. Which state do I apply in?

You apply to the state to whom you pay taxes (most likely where you live). In your case, do you file an NC state tax return, an SC tax return or both?

The other thing to find out is if you get severance and/or collect your vacation pay when you are laid off, some states do NOT allow you to file a claim until that money runs out. For example, if you get 2 weeks severance and have 2 weeks of vacation pay you are owed when you're laid off, you can't file for unemployment for 4 weeks. Every state is different. I believe MA & MD allow you to start collecting immediately, regardless of severance & vacation pay. VA does not allow you to double-dip.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping that I can land a replacement well before the hammer comes down. I'm our main breadwinner since we relocated here and losing 90% of our income is gonna hurt

We've been trimming expenses and building as much savings to brace ourselves. Thinking we can get by for at least 10 months once it goes down. That includes a small severence.

Hopefully it happens in time for you to watch the World Cup.

This thread is definitely an example of what is wrong with our system.

The converse is true, as well.

There's a lot of honest, hard-working, good-intentioned people getting screwed by the system.

Archived