Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Om Field - The OT Russell Okung Files (from BNS)

bedlamVR

http://www.theomfield.com/2010/03/ot...ung-files.html

Continuing our look at prospects considered the most likely to be selected by the Redskins with the fourth overall pick in next month's NFL Draft, today we turn out attention away from the glamorous, high-profile quarterback position to the blue-collar, concrete-and-steel position of offensive left tackle.

Below you will find biographical data, scouting reports, draft projections, rankings and videos on Oklahoma St. LT Russell Okung.

Those hearty enough to wade through to the end will find my quick take on the player himself and, on the premise that they will use and not trade their top pick, my thoughts on whether or not the Redskins will and/or should draft him.

Bon appetit.

LT RUSSELL OKUNG

Height: 6-5

Weight: 305

Born: 10/7/87

College: Oklahoma St.

High School: Hope (TX)

BIOGRAPHY

Russell Okung (born October 7, 1987 in Fort Bend, Texas) is an American football offensive tackle for the Oklahoma State Cowboys. He is considered one of the best prospects available for the 2010 NFL Draft ...

College career

As a true freshman, Okung moved into the starting lineup for the first time against Kansas and held the position of right tackle for the rest of the season (eight straight starts). He ended the season by being voted as a member of All-Big 12 freshman team (by The Sporting News) and was named the Dick Bogert Award winner as Oklahoma State’s top freshman.

In his sophomore season he started all thirteen games. The Cowboys’ offensive line gave up just five sacks in eight Big 12 games to lead the league in that category. Okung earned honorable mention all-Big 12 honors (by coaches). He was also named to the Rivals.com all-bowl team after holding Indiana’s Greg Middleton, the NCAA’s sack leader, without a tackle in the 2007 Insight Bowl victory.

As a junior, Okung led Oklahoma State with 71 knockdown blocks, and was named a first-team all-conference selection by the coaches. He also was named to Pro Football Weekly′s 2008 All-America team. Okung currently has started 34 straight games for the longest active streak on the team.

In 2009, Okung was listed at No. 1 on Rivals.com′s preseason offensive tackle power ranking. He was also named to the 2009 Outland Trophy watch list.[10] On October 14, 2009, Okung was named one of twelve semifinalists—and the only offensive lineman—for the Lombardi Award. He was also named to The Sporting News midseason college football All-American team.

I just though I would post this here because I started a previous thread on needing at least 3-4 OL in this draft and I though this would also be worthy of debate but given the standing of OM on here I thought needed its own thread .

One thing I strongly disagree with here is the idea that the Skins do not have a "starting QB" . We have 2 QBs who have started and are capable of starting and one has even been to the superbowl . (Campbell and Grossman respectfully) .

You seem to be pushing you opinion (agenda) and while not rubbishing Okung you seem to have overlooked the small (if not insignificant) fact , we don't have a starting LOT on the roster at all .

You make the point that OT can bust out like our own Mike Williams, but that was not through lack of talent, because even 80lbs above playing weight that showed through, but it was poor man management and a poor work ethic on his part which saw him literally eat his way out of the league . But Williams is a somewhat rare example of a high round OT who busted out in the last few years .

You seem locked onto the idea that Clausen ... who has more red flags than a red flag factory, on red flag day, which had recently revived an order from the band red flag to make as many promotional items (red flags) as possible...okay maybe a little over the top...has serious concerns, will absolutely positively be a bonefide HoF QB ...despite many scouts now wondering if he has already maxed out . You also think Bradford could be the next bonifide positively cannot miss HoF QB ( 2 in one draft what a coincidence) yet while has more of the intangibles hasn't played meaningful football all year and could be the next Payton Manning or the next Chad Pennington (2 full seasons in his entire career) ...yet in your assessment of those two (Clausen and Bradford) you seem oblivious to the fact that not only do first round QBs flame out more often than any other position, according to yourself and many others we already have 2 1st round busts on the roster ... is it such a good idea to have a third ?

You also make the point that franchise OLT cannot change the fortune of a team on their own . Which is stupid . You really think Joe Montana would have been as great had he had say Stephon Heyer blocking for him or Brad Badger ?

The point of the OL is to be anonymous . If your OLT is the star then there are real problems elsewhere on the field . Normally the only people notice on the field are the ones scoring . That may be the QB the RB the TE or the WR . They don't think man that was a good block . One of the most memorable plays in NFL history was "the catch" in the 1982 NFC playoff game between the 49ers and the Cowboys would never of happened had not been for the play of Kieth Fahnhorst . He only made one probowl but was on 2 superbowl teams . Equally Bubba Parris was another mainstay as was fFred Quillan ...none of these are as well known as Montona, Young, Craig or Rice but played just as important role for the success of the team .

The point is we absolutely need a OT . We don't NEED a 1st round QB ... A great QB is more often a product of his environment rather than something that just happens ....

You lost me when you wrote the totally debatable line of "a great qb is more often a product of his environment than something that just happens". Get real. Are you suggesting the QB-supporters think a 1st round QB automatically is great?

I'm actually in favor of drafting Okung at #4 overall, NOT because we simply need an OT, but because I truly believe that he offers superior value than the QBs do at that point in the draft. That's the difference between you and me, I guess.

Its simple in the NFL. Franchise QB is the top priority. Then it is LT. If there is a franchise QB, we have to take him because JC is not one, and you can't win without one. If Shanny and co. don't think we can get a franchise QB, absolutely draft a LT. Do you know what a team that has a stud LT and a couple of first round OL but has an average QB looks like? It looks like the Cleveland Browns.

Do you know what teams look like that rarely draft first round OL but have franchise QBs?....look at the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Archived