Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does signing RFA's work?

Riggodrill44

If any of you follow baseball you know if you sign a FA you recieve that teams 1st rd draft pick.If you sign another FA you would only give them your 2nd rd pick.If you sign another you would give them your 3rd rd pick and so on.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

So how does it work in the NFL?Would we give lower picks the more we sign or 1st rounders in different years?

RFAs are given a tender offer by their current team which dictates draft pick compensation should another team sign them to an offer sheet. Teams can also trade RFAs for less compensation than their tender offer dictates if they wish.

RFAs are given a tender offer by their current team which dictates draft pick compensation should another team sign them to an offer sheet. Teams can also trade RFAs for less compensation than their tender offer dictates if they wish.

If a team signs a RFA, the original team has up one week to match that contract and keep the RFA.

I think you can sign as many as you want, as long as you have the draft picks to give up?

Ah... I see what he was asking now.

Yeah, you can't sign two RFA players with 1st round tenders if you don't have the picks to give. Unless you negotiate a trade with the RFA's team.

That didn't answer anything about multiple signings.

You can sign 10 guys to offer sheets, and you'll have to give up every pick that was tendered to each player, or multiple picks in some cases.

The amount of guys you sign has no bearing on compensation. If we sign Marshall, Gaither, and Jahri Evans, we give up 3 firsts and a 3rd, barring negotiation on compensation with the team in question. If you don't have the right compensation, it doesn't work.

You can sign 10 guys to offer sheets, and you'll have to give up every pick that was tendered to each player, or multiple picks in some cases.

The amount of guys you sign has no bearing on compensation. If we sign Marshall, Gaither, and Jahri Evans, we give up 3 firsts and a 3rd.

Well thats what i was thinking(the players).Where does the draft picks come from?This year,next 3 years what?

it can come from any draft. The bottom line is if you want a restricted FA, you have to make a deal with the team that they are on right now. Whether it is a first this year, next or w/e, the two teams have to agree to a deal. There is no standard to what draft pick you have to give up, the teams just have to agree on a deal.

Ok...is that a guess?

He's right...

Also your OP about baseball FA signings is wrong. In MLB, you only give up picks if they are classified as Type A or Type B. Also, if you have a high enough first round pick it is protected, and you don't give it up when you sign a Type A.

it can come from any draft. The bottom line is if you want a restricted FA, you have to make a deal with the team that they are on right now. Whether it is a first this year, next or w/e, the two teams have to agree to a deal. There is no standard to what draft pick you have to give up, the teams just have to agree on a deal.

Thats interesting.We could negotiate compensation for restricted FA OL this year.I probably would go for this.We need lineman badly.

He's right...

Also your OP about baseball FA signings is wrong. In MLB, you only give up picks if they are classified as Type A or Type B. Also, if you have a high enough first round pick it is protected, and you don't give it up when you sign a Type A.

I know how baseballs work,I just shortend it to make a point.The Yankees last year signed CC,Texiara,and Burnett......They gave up their 1'st,2nd,and 3rd.

That's not accurate. If you sign them to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, you must have the pics in this draft to do it. Then his current team has the right to match that offer. Or decline and take the pick.

The other option is to work out a deal with the team that has his rights. But that would be a TRADE, not an RFA signing.

Two completely different things.

That's not accurate. If you sign them to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, you must have the pics in this draft to do it. Then his current team has the right to match that offer. Or decline and take the pick.

The other option is to work out a deal with the team that has his rights. But that would be a TRADE, not an RFA signing.

Two completely different things.

Yea you are correct and i understand what you are saying. I just tried to make it simple because those RFA's are not untouchable just because you dont have those picks. Signing a RFA is essentially making a trade with that team. I know its not but it is very similar. For instance with JC, nobody is going to give up a 1st and 3rd to sign this guy. But that does not mean he will not be dealt. Someone can come in and say were interested and give the skins a 3rd and the deal could happen. Youre right, that is in fact a TRADE, but i guess my point was bottomline, you dont have to have those picks and you can still negotiate a deal for said player.

Archived