Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does price matter?

Redskins Diehard

Something I have noticed in a lot of the threads about picking up free agents is comments about how much the player costs. Does it even matter this year? In the salary cap year it is important to spread money throughout the roster in a manner that assures there is depth and breadth of talent. However this year we can spend whatever Dan Snyder is willing to spend(which seems to fall somewhere around "a lot") and I am sure we can structure contracts in a way that there aren't tremendous cap implications in the future when it comes back.

So the questions are: Does price matter? and if so, why?

2 reasons

1) If the cap returns, but I am sure Bruce Allen is addressing that

2) A simple matter of changing the culture. We can't have this place as the place you come to get paid and not perform anymore

I assume, seemingly like you, that we will use this year to get "right" by the cap.

Number 2 is an interesting point. I could see some kind of impact also to unit cohesion.

I just think we have grown so accustomed to analyzing moves in terms of cap hits that the perspective has to change with the environment.

there is no free lunch.....the money issue will NOT dissapear like a fart in a spacesuit, it will resurface.....

Alright, give some thoughts on how that is going to happen. We sign player X to a 1 year 15 million contract. Or a 2 year contract with 15 million as BASE SALARY this year and 2 million next year. No signing bonus. How does that fart affect our spacesuit?

Alright, give some thoughts on how that is going to happen. We sign player X to a 1 year 15 million contract. Or a 2 year contract with 15 million as BASE SALARY this year and 2 million next year. No signing bonus. How does that fart affect our spacesuit?

Going into a non capped year thinking that at some point the commish will not revisit and revise the rules is dangerous. Not knowing the long tem rules to load up the short term gain is not responsible. I feel confident that there are folks on staff that are making these decisions with both the present and future in mind.

Going into a non capped year thinking that at some point the commish will not revisit and revise the rules is dangerous. Not knowing the long tem rules to load up the short term gain is not responsible. I feel confident that there are folks on staff that are making these decisions with both the rpesent and future in mind.

Absolutely no concern for the future is dangerous. But I honestly don't see how base salary this year could possibly be a problem in '11 and going forward. Not sure that the commissioner actually has any role in that. The CBA will be decided by the owners and the PA. The owners and the players will be the ones deciding on the long term rules.

Guys smarter than us figuring this all out but I wondered if teams are front loading contracts to make 2010 the payout bigger year. It would protect you for the possibility of the cap returning.

In years past, you back loaded it knowing the player would restructure or never realize the full contract.

Sig...worthy.

Archived