Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting terms on the back of the Season Ticket Invoices...

MarkB452

I don't have my invoice with me, so I don't have the exact wording, but these are the two that I thought were the most interesting:

....Purchase of playoff tickets and parking is now mandatory. << The problem with this is that in the past, when the team has been in contention, STHs who wanted playoff tickets had to put up the money for the NFC Championship game and either a Round 1/Round 2 playoff game around Thanksgiving. For any games that were not played, the money would be credited to your season ticket account for the next year. The point is, you had a choice. If you thought a 0.500 team at Thanksgiving wasn't worth "lending" several hundred dollars to Danny for several months, you did not have to pay it or you did not have to buy playoff tix for all the seats on your account. I don't know if the new system would work like this or not, but I think it would be rather difficult to bill, print, and ship tickets in time if they waited for them to clinch a home field game (especially if they clinched the last week of the season and had a home game the following weekend). Regardless, this also helps avoid the embarrassing situation of the team having trouble selling out a home playoff game (like Dallas in 1979(?)). Also, feel free to insert Jim Mora playoff rant here. :)

No refunds once the game starts. << This clears up an issue that happened a few years ago for a preseason game with the Steelers that was called off right after half time. I never could find anything in the ticket policies stating if people were entitled to a refund or not.

Also paying the invoice or using the tickets means you agree to all the rules on the invoice as well as the policies on www.redskins.com.

For the record, I paid my invoice a couple of days ago and took the free financing option.

My Club seats contract says that I will be notified when postseason tickets are issued and posted to my account and that I have 30 days to pay from the receipt of the notification. Also, if my account is in good standing I will have the opportunity to purchase additional postseason tickets.

Which is fine by me since I want to see the 'Skins in the playoffs. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for some people? Why would you sign up for 'Skins season tix and not go to a home playoff game? That's just crazy talk.

My Club seats contract says that I will be notified when postseason tickets are issued and posted to my account and that I have 30 days to pay from the receipt of the notification. Also, if my account is in good standing I will have the opportunity to purchase additional postseason tickets.

Which is fine by me since I want to see the 'Skins in the playoffs. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for some people? Why would you sign up for 'Skins season tix and not go to a home playoff game? That's just crazy talk.

My dad would refuse to pay for the playoff tickets/lend money to Danny if he thought the team was not going to make it or win the division. My brother and I often put up the money because we wanted his LL seats.

In 1999, I had more tickets on my account than I wanted to front the money for, so I did not put up the money for all of my tickets.

BTW, given this new policy, I don't see how you will be able to buy additional playoff tickets if everybody is required to buy them. In the past, you likely would have gotten access to tix that STHs did not front the money for.

I don't have my invoice with me, so I don't have the exact wording, but these are the two that I thought were the most interesting:

....Purchase of playoff tickets and parking is now mandatory. << The problem with this is that in the past, when the team has been in contention, STHs who wanted playoff tickets had to put up the money for the NFC Championship game and either a Round 1/Round 2 playoff game around Thanksgiving. ...

I believe this language was in place last year too, wasn't it? I don't have an old invoice in front of me.

IIRC, back in the 90s it was about the second week of December that these playoff invoices came out, and as I remember, this started while John Cooke was in charge. We had something like a week to pay. We had to buy both games or none, regardless of the fact that our chances of hosting the championship was almost zero.

I had clubs back then. And the big difference between '99 and the previous time ('97 or 98, can't remember) was the amount of money Snyder charged for club playoff tickets. With John Cooke in charge, club playoff tickets cost the same as LL playoff tickets - around $70 or $80 each, something like that. I think the idea was, club owners had already "leased" their club seats for the year when they signed the original contracts and sent in their money and their 25% deposit. But when Snyder took over, he wanted 20% of our annual invoice for each seat, which was contrary to what had been established under John Cooke. It was a lot of money - more than I wanted to spend a week before Christmas. I raised hell about this with the ticket office, but they basically told me to go screw myself. And unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my original club contract regarding the cost or post-season tickets. So, yes, I sent my money in, yes I went to the Detroit game, and yes, the balance went to my 2000 invoice. This was the beginning of my disdain for Snyder. Needless to say, I got lucky and found a buyer for my five year contract and got out of my legal obligation to Snyder that same winter.

But what I remember from 1999 were the large number of season ticket holders who opted NOT to purchase playoff tickets, especially club seats. It was a significant amount, and it left the team with the problem of quickly selling thousands of tickets. It's obvious to me the team anticipates this problem occurring again and is taking steps in advance to solving it now. :)

And they don't really have a choice if the team sends out playoff invoices in the manner they did when Coach Gibbs was here. What playoff invoices, you ask? That's my point. Gibbs thought it was bad luck to send out playoff invoices for playoff games we hadn't earned yet, so playoff invoices were never sent out. This policy may very well continue, and the mandatory purchase of playoff tix by season ticket holders solves the problem the team had in '99.

I agree. Nonetheless, there are TONS of people who choose to stay home. Is it because of money? Is it because of weather? I don't know. I wonder if they would have been more apt to attend the game in Jan 2000 if they knew this would be the only home playoff game during the span of two decades?

Anyway, they missed a great game.

If GA tickets were not sold out, the NFL would require the game be blacked out. It's that simple. So if game is on local TV, which they are, the GA tickets are sold out. There's no ruse involved.

There are conspiracy theorists on the board who believe Danny Snyder has a cache of GA tickets that he cannot sell and either sells them on Stub Hub or prior to every game as "visitor team returns".

These people obviously know so much more than the rest of us and have inside information...or else they would have you believe that. It's all part of the Danny hate on the board.

I am one of these conspiracists. And it's not a theory. It's been going on for years and it's plainly visible for all to see. :)

The team has a bunch of available seats in the general admission stands - but they hold them for a reason, and it's not because they can't sell them. They hold them for the chance that some corporation is going to need a block of a dozen or two dozen seats on short notice. The team needs to have these seats available on short notice because the potential for profit is enormous. The team sells them as premium seating and makes a fortune.

These blocks of 12 and 18 seats are plainly visible on the ticket networks in sections 105 and 427, and there are probably other smaller blocks as well which aren't as easy to find.

This is not inside info. This is plainly visible for anybody to see once the season comes close to starting up and the ticket network maps light up.

I am one of these conspiracists. And it's not a theory. It's been going on for years and it's plainly visible for all to see. :)

The team has a bunch of available seats in the general admission stands - but they hold them for a reason, and it's not because they can't sell them. They hold them for the chance that some corporation is going to need a block of a dozen or two dozen seats on short notice. The team needs to have these seats available on short notice because the potential for profit is enormous. The team sells them as premium seating and makes a fortune.

These blocks of 12 and 18 seats are plainly visible on the ticket networks in sections 105 and 427, and there are probably other smaller blocks as well which aren't as easy to find.

This is not inside info. This is plainly visible for anybody to see once the season comes close to starting up and the ticket network maps light up.

Mark...you do not qualify for the conspiracy theorists I refer to. I am referring to people who believe Snyder cannot sell all his GA tickets as season tickets and instead is forced to sell them as individual tickets directly or thru a broker.

I admit that the Redskins have GA tickets they set aside for their own players and families, visitor team members and media. We know this is true because the Redskins are required by the NFL to do so. Sometimes some of those tickets are not accepted by these parties which then allows the Redskins to sell them. My guess is the NFL does not require them to be included in the GA tickets that must be sold out for local TV coverage to occur.

So what do the Skins do? We know they send out emails and make them available to ticket wait list members. Do they sell these on Stub Hub or other ticket broker sites? Well, Mr. Donovan says no but some conspiracy minded fans believe they do. I doubt it but would not be shocked.

As to the huge amounts of money the Skins make from the 30 seats you mention, Mark...Even if Danny makes an extra $100 premium on each ticket for every regular game, that only amounts to an extra $24,000 per season assuming every single ticket is sold to corporations or other important people. Hardly big money to Danny Snyder.

More likely, these are just seats reserved for Touchdown Club and Tailgate Club premium ticket holders each year.

I strongly oppose Snyder's continued efforts to turn GA seats into premium seats. However, I do not believe these seats go unsold because of a lack of demand as the conspiracy theorists would have us believe. Snyder is using those seats to bring in extra revenue via the Touchdown Club, Tailgate Club or as you suggest last minute corporate/VIP ticket sales.

That does not make it a conspiracy to withold tickets from fans or to lie about the waiting list; particularly if the seats as a whole are permitted by the NFL to be used at the discretion of the team as described above.

Sorry Mark....you don't qualify as a lunatic....just someone who understands the business of sports... :ols:

P.S. I just received what appears to be a 2003 authentic (as in retail authentic) Riggins jersey I bought on ebay for $48. IF its a fake....it's a damn good one. :D

As to the huge amounts of money the Skins make from the 30 seats you mention, Mark...Even if Danny makes an extra $100 premium on each ticket for every regular game, that only amounts to an extra $24,000 per season assuming every single ticket is sold to corporations or other important people. Hardly big money to Danny Snyder.

More likely, these are just seats reserved for Touchdown Club and Tailgate Club premium ticket holders each year.

I don't think so. Reason being, the team wouldn't purposely set up a block like that. They went to an awful lot of trouble to purposely clear out blocks of 12 and 18 seats together. That's not particularly easy to do and it wouldn't happen by coincidence.

Also, I think he makes a lot more than an extra $100 a pop. If you look at the seats as they are priced on the ticket network, they are the most expensive seats available. They are in the $400 each range. It's obvious to me, the team makes them expensive on purpose so that ticket buyers who buy in pairs don't buy those seats - thereby leaving them open for the corporate buyers who need to buy by the dozen.

See this: http://redskins.bridgelinesw.net/gen/articles/Hospitality_Party_Packages_5899.jsp

Note the words: Premium Sideline Seating:

* All Guests Seated Together

Where do you suppose all these people are sitting - together? :)

I strongly oppose Snyder's continued efforts to turn GA seats into premium seats. However, I do not believe these seats go unsold because of a lack of demand as the conspiracy theorists would have us believe. Snyder is using those seats to bring in extra revenue via the Touchdown Club, Tailgate Club or as you suggest last minute corporate/VIP ticket sales.

We're on the same page here. ;)
P.S. I just received what appears to be a 2003 authentic (as in retail authentic) Riggins jersey I bought on ebay for $48. IF its a fake....it's a damn good one. :D

What I hate about the newer Riggo jerseys is the damn corporate logo on the sleeves. I hate that. But I"m a purist, I guess.

I believe this language was in place last year too, wasn't it? I don't have an old invoice in front of me.

<SNIP>

I had clubs back then. And the big difference between '99 and the previous time ('97 or 98, can't remember) was the amount of money Snyder charged for club playoff tickets.

MTH : You are correct. LOL, no surprise here.... These terms were on the invoices for 2009. Both the playoff requirement and the no refunds policy once the game starts. On the 2008 invoices, the playoff policy is NOT stated, but the no refunds is. On the 2007 invoices, neither policy is stated.

Also, in 1998, we lost our first seven games in horrific fashion (with the 7th loss being the Vikings whipping us 41-7), so the year you are thinking about must be 1997. In 1997, the Skins were 6-5, but would go 2-2-1 over the last five games to finish 8-7-1. >> PS Thank you Michael Westbrook.

MTH : You are correct. LOL, no surprise here.... These terms were on the invoices for 2009. Both the playoff requirement and the no refunds policy once the game starts. On the 2008 invoices, the playoff policy is NOT stated, but the no refunds is. On the 2007 invoices, neither policy is stated.

Also, in 1998, we lost our first seven games in horrific fashion (with the 7th loss being the Vikings whipping us 41-7), so the year you are thinking about must be 1997. In 1997, the Skins were 6-5, but would go 2-2-1 over the last five games to finish 8-7-1. >> PS Thank you Michael Westbrook.

Ahh, I remember that now. I remember winning the last game at home, but we needed help to get in the playoffs. I remember watching the end of whatever game in the humidor. But we didn't get the help we needed. :(

well...they'll have my season tickets to sell to someone else....i've got the invoice, and it will sit right where it is...

i'm tired of being required to buy x,y and z to get the product I want...

plus, truthfully, I can do more with the $4000 that give it to Snyder....

i didn't go to a single game last year do to injury and family illness, and I lost my shirt trying to sell great LL seats (row 3, seats 1 and 2, so right on the aisle) to people that didn't want to watch a crappy team...

its more financially feasible for me to buy tickets to the 2 or 3 games I really want to go to....and, I know I've already said it, until Snyderhan shows me they're different than Snyderatto, he needs no more of my money

"No refunds once the game starts. << This clears up an issue that happened a few years ago for a preseason game with the Steelers that was called off right after half time"

That was the ravens game not the steelers game (same season though)

Yes, you are correct:

http://coveringtheredskins.blogspot.com/2007/08/august-25-skins-and-ravens-get-rained.html

The same thing happened during a scrimmage with the Ravens in 2000 and I believe Snyder gave people free admission to training camp as compensation.

Archived