Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskins.com - For Now, Free Agency Offers Only Uncertainty

Est.1974

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Now__Free_Agency_Offers_Only_Uncertainty_105046.jsp

I thought this made interesting reading from the OS. Almost one third of last years closing roster is a free agent in some capacity.

The high number of potential RFA's probably works in our favour as we get the chance to keep guys via relatively low tenders in 2010.

It's one thing talking up who we should draft or indeed trade for, but we also need to retain these guys who could add valuable depth to the roster.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Unrestricted free agents are free to sign with any NFL team, including the Redskins.

Ethan Albright, LS

Phillip Daniels, DE

Levi Jones, OT

Casey Rabach, C

Hunter Smith, P

Mike Williams, G/T

Renaldo Wynn, DE

Todd Yoder, TE

FREE AGENTS IMPACTED BY CBA NEGOTIATIONS

If there is no new labor agreement in place by March 5, then players whose rookie contracts are expiring and are eligible for unrestricted free agency would instead be classified as restricted free agents. Restricted free agents are players that the Redskins can tender a contract offer to prior to the start of free agency. Other NFL teams can sign the player to an offer sheet once free agency begins, but the Redskins can match the offer and retain the player. If the Redskins choose not to match, they can receive draft pick(s) as compensation depending on the level of the tender offer.

Jason Campbell, QB

Reed Doughty, S

Kedric Golston, DT

Rocky McIntosh, LB

Anthony Montgomery, DT

Will Montgomery, OL

Carlos Rogers, CB

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Restricted free agents are players that the Redskins can tender a contract offer to prior to the start of free agency. Other NFL teams can sign the player to an offer sheet once free agency begins, but the Redskins can match the offer and retain the player. If the Redskins do not match, they can receive draft pick(s) as compensation depending on the tender offer.

Lorenzo Alexander, DL

Stephon Heyer, OT

Chris Wilson, LB/DE

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

Exclusive rights free agents are players with two or fewer years of NFL experience but cannot negotiate with other teams. Their rights belong to their current team provided they are made a minimum qualifying offer.

Quinton Ganther, RB

Unfortunately, the team is going to have to make some tough choices.

Because we have soooo many holes to fill some of these players will have to come back.

IMHO:

Players the skins have to retain simply because other holes need to be filled first and that includes a rookie QB.

JC

Rabach

H. Smith

Golston

McIntosh

Will Montgomery

A tackle among Heyer/Jones

Second line Players they need to keep

Lorenzo Alexander

Quinton Ganther

I would like Doughty and Wilson come back as well.

As to the remaining players, it depends on what the skins have targeted in FA and the draft. I doubt BMW, A Montgomery, Daniels, and Albright will get a lot of contact from other teams. No one is going to look at Wynn.

As for Rogers, I don't know about him. I like him for the right price. Assuming no salary cap the team has to evaluate what it has and determine if he fits into any future cap ramifications thus I would consider Rogers a cap casualty if he was not retained.

Because we have soooo many holes to fill some of these players will have to come back.

That is kinda my point as well. There are many players NOT on that list that people do not want back as well, but there is only so much that can be changed in a year. I suspect players will be retained as there is little other choice / it is the best of two evils.............

why do we want to keep some of these players? :)

Heyer is restricted. So what?

Montgomery is set to be a FA. So what?

Mike Williams is a FA. So what?

This club was 4-12 last season and this was not a season where the team took its lumps so younger players with talent could learn how to play in the NFL.

This was an older team with some players such as the ones I cited that probably don't belong as anything but practice squad or end of the bench depth players.

Archived