Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lost Dog and Cat Rescue

HRNY4ZRNY

A few questions:

Did your friend use a different litter or litter box?

We bought the same used at her house. even changed the food to what was at her house.

Did your friend clean the litter box more frequently that you do?

daily is what I have been doing. Only missed one day, and it's not like it's full. When he has peed it has been both used and empty by the time I checked in the morning

What room is the litter box in? Have you removed all previous peeing spots with something similar to natures miracle etc?

We didn't just remove the peed on spots with nature's miracle and the like. We replaced everything as we had to completely remodel after waterproofing our basment. None of the carpet is the same. Heck, the concrete underthe carpet isn't even the same. We can't remove much more:(

Is he neutered?

yes and rear declawed

Call local cat rescues to see if they can help. One might be full but others should be able to help or take him to a no kill shelter.

I am trying a few more, but the answers I keep getting are no to a cat with a history of peeing. Sucks because of the dozen cats I've had throughout my life, he is the most outwardly friendly. I wish he had a diferent home because he'd be great. He was for our friend who just can't afford to keep him or she said she would take him.

For those who can't understand why we can't keep him, he has peed in 2 rooms upstairs and 3 spots in finished basement. We've had to cut carpet from the 2 upstairs which thankfully stopped before ever he went to our friend's place. The basement we cleaned as well as we could, but he kept peeing so we wanted to see what would happen at friend's where he was great. We have spent close to a $1,000 in vet bills trying to determine if there was a medical reason, and the only thing we get is "he must not be happy there." Given what I've dealt with in the past few years, please believe me when I say it is tearing me up to give up the animal always willing to prrr and talk me to sleep when I've been upset.

Anyone want to be nice to a great cat or kow anyone who will?

Potential CAUSES for failure to use litterbox:

MEDICAL PROBLEMS:

diarrhea (many causes)

small intestinal- soft to watery

colitis (inflamed colon)- mucus in stool, blood, straining

urinary bladder inflammation

FUS

Bacterial infections

trauma

calculi (bladder stones)

tumors

polydipsia/polyuria

(excessive water volume consumed and urine voided: upper water intake for cats is 1oz/lb; most cats drink considerably less than this)

diabetes insipidus

diabetes mellitus

kidney disease

liver disease

adrenal gland disease

pyometra (pus in the uterus)

hypercalcemia (high blood calcium)

others

TERRITORIAL MARKING

intact female in heat

intact male spraying

marking of peripheral walls particularly near windows may be from presence of outdoor cats

may be triggered by over-crowding of indoor cats

previously neutered cat has a bit of testicular or ovarian tissue remaining, possibly resulting in a low level of hormone which could trigger marking

neutered male with sexual experience exposed to female in heat

LITTER BOX PROBLEMS

overcrowding: too many cats using same box

failure to change littter frequently enough -- some cats won't use a dirty box

failure to provide constant access to litterbox

change in type of litter used

change in location of litterbox

unfamiliar, frightening, or loud objects near box: dishwasher, etc.

food and water too close to litterbox

objectionable chemical used to wash or disinfect litterbox

location preference: your cat may want the box in a different location

texture preference: your cat doesn't like the feel of the litter

failure to cover litter: learned process from parents

use of litterbox is instinctive

cats that don't cover litter may be more prone to litterbox problems

your cat may be indicating texture preference problem

PSYCHOLOGICAL STRESS

(most common manifestation is inappropriate urination)

addition or subtraction of other pets in household

visitors, company, parties, redecorating, construction, or any type of commotion

a move to a new environment

change in routine or schedule: a new job or working hours

their return from boarding or hospitilization

interaction problem with other pets or cats

cats are asocial rather than antisocial; in the wild each has a territory and period of contact with others in the group (and only one male per group)

a closed environment will create a greater degree of interaction than some cats prefer. The more cats in a household, the greater the degree of interaction

CHEMICAL ATTRACTION OF PREVIOUS "ACCIDENTS:"

likely to produce repeated visitations to the same spot

may induce urination by other members of a multi-cat household

you may have moved to a residence previously occupied with other dogs and/or cats

Treatment

Rule out medical problems FIRST

complete history and physical

stool/GI workup for diarrhea (if needed)

urinalysis for inappropriate urination to rule out an infection

workup for polydipsia/polyuria

important to check all cats of a multi-cat household

last cat seen misbehaving may be responding to chemical attraction and not be an instigator

more than one cat could have problem

treat/correct medical problems first. Behavioral problems can only be diagnosed in a healthy cat

Territorial marking

neuter all cats (check history of neutered cats; retained testicle in male or signs of heat in female)

prevent other cats from coming around outside of house, close windows, blinds, and doors

prevent overcrowding in multi-cat households

Litter box problems

provide a box for each cat

change litter daily

provide constant access to a box

go back to previously used brand of litter and/or discontinue new disinfectant

move box to where it was previously used

eliminate new or frightening noise near litterbox

move food and water away from litterbox

if cat is only going in one spot, put the litterbox at the exact location and gradually move it back to where you want it at the rate of one foot per day

if there are several places, try putting dishes of cat food in those areas to discourage further elimination there

experiment with different textures of litter (cats prefer sandy litter)

use a covered litterbox for cats that stand in box but eliminate outside of it

Psychological Stress

eliminate if possible

try to provide each cat at home with its own "space"

use favorite resting areas to determine

provide separate litterboxes near each space if possible

cubicles, boxes, shelves, crates are effective for this

tranquilizers sometimes work well in multicat situations

Chemical attraction

dispose of all soiled fabric or throw rugs if possible

50% vinegar or commercial products may be used

steam cleaning may help

repellants may help

do not replace carpeting until problem entirely solved or it may start all over again on your new carpeting

Confinement

(In portable kennel with litterbox, (with appropriate corrections) to stop further inappropriate behavior while medical and/or other problems are being treated.)

particularly beneficial for transient stress induced problem

may allow acclimation to stress situation where source of stress cannot be eliminated

procedure

choose an area that can be a permanent location of litterbox

keep cat confined to this area 4-6 weeks when not under your direct visual supervision (if your cat attempts elimination outside of kennel when you are watching, squirt with water pistol as soon as elimination posture is attempted and put cat back in kennel)

if cat is using box regularly for 4 to 6 weeks when not under your gradually give access to larger and larger areas of your home, one room or hallway at a time

allow 1 week of good behavior in the new area before adding the new room

never increase access area until you are 100% certain cat's use of litterbox is 100%

if accident occurs, re-evaluate this material to make sure litterbox problem or something else didn't trigger

begin confinement over again and double intervals for relapses

Cat is definitely territorial. He backs down any dog that comes over be it a pit bull or a chuhuahua until they know he 's boss. We are speaking with vet again on Thurs. Probably beginning the one room life on Thurs. night.

also try this cat litter

http://www.preciouscat.com/

I have heard good things about Cat Attract. You can buy it at Petco and it is all natural. I use the Precious Cat as my cat Huly has severe allergies to other cat litters with their fragrances etc.

We got our 3 legged dog their and he is still the fastest dog in the dog park. He lowers his head and runs into other dogs. We wanted to get him a Sean Taylor jersey.

That's interesting. We fostered a 3-legged dog about a year ago (as a puppy) and he got adopted in VA.

Yeah GBear my girlfriend said that you need to buy a strong cleaner and really try to deep clean the room where the cat pees. She says the cat can still smell where it has peed and thats why the cat was fine at your friends house. She says thats a possibility and to go to petsmart and buy Natures Miracle. Put it around the areas where the cat has peed.

Dont know if that has already been said.

we stripped everything down past the concrete :-( when we ad to waterproof our basement. no carpet. no padding. not even the concrete from when he was peeing before he went away. we can't remove much more. we're already to the point where we got rid of everything down to the foundation...he's just a prissy pissy cat here. we'll see if the one room living helps. I hope so.

Thanks for the bump.

We have been stuck at $135 for awhile. I got a couple people that are going to donate and a couple people on this board said they would donate later on when the get paid.

I think it would help if people bump this thread once and awhile like you did. Also if their are any big news stories about animals we could put them here.

I think this thread could be used many ways. To post pics of your own dogs-cats or your own stories.

Also any questions you have with a pet. I think its good just to bump it once and awhile. We were stuck at 35 for almost a whole day then I checked it and we jumped 100 dollars. So I am looking forward to another jump hopefully. I just dont want to annoy people about it. Like my Dad said he would so I still think he will when he gets a chance and thinks about it.

We just have to plant seeds. Put it on facebook or e mail people especially if you know they are an animal lover. But again thanks for the bump.

Archived