Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Of ExtremeSkins

I mean just have the data in columns and rows that can be imported into a DB.

The data should look like this in Excel:

Jersey FirstName LastName HighSchool College Stats

------------------------------------------------

11 Patrick Ramsey Ruston (LA) Tulane

I have it on my domain and you can even go to redskinsdb.com and get the data off of that website as well.

Are those the only field you'll need? Also, after college in your list above I see "Stats" is that a typo?

I noticed in the individual player pages that there is a full name - for this list you'd only want first and last, correct?

Are those the only field you'll need? Also, after college in your list above I see "Stats" is that a typo?

I noticed in the individual player pages that there is a full name - for this list you'd only want first and last, correct?

No that was just the sample I was showing as to how to lay down the info in the Excel spreadsheet as to how the import won't work if the info laid down in a different manner in the spread sheet.

I would need all the info first, last, middle the whole nine yard so to speak. For the stats we only need to worry about is their Skins stats.

No that was just the sample I was showing as to how to lay down the info in the Excel spreadsheet as to how the import won't work if the info laid down in a different manner in the spread sheet.

I would need all the info first, last, middle the whole nine yard so to speak. For the stats we only need to worry about is their Skins stats.

It looks to me like the stats would need to be in a separate table, linked through a common index like the first and last names. Does this sound right to you?

Also, there seems to be limited stats info - I didn't see any for a random selection of D players or K/P, just for O guys. I could always find missing stats via interweb.

I can try to mock up a quick Excel sheet and enter info for a few players. Then I could share that with you to see if I'm on the right track. Or, you could specify the fields you want in an Excel file and send me that for me to populate. What do you think? Too crazy?

It looks to me like the stats would need to be in a separate table, linked through a common index like the first and last names. Does this sound right to you?

Also, there seems to be limited stats info - I didn't see any for a random selection of D players or K/P, just for O guys. I could always find missing stats via interweb.

I can try to mock up a quick Excel sheet and enter info for a few players. Then I could share that with you to see if I'm on the right track. Or, you could specify the fields you want in an Excel file and send me that for me to populate. What do you think? Too crazy?

You are right. I will be setting up a relational DB with many tables. But I can do that during the import. You don't need to worry about that on the spreadsheet.

I noticed that Kicker and the like were missing stats too. Looks like the guy never updated those. We will need to do that.

Take a look at the headings from each player in each position and that will give you your headings for the columns. Not all rows will be populated for each player. But at least that will give me all the fields to be imported into the DB.

Crazy no. Extreme yes. :D

You are right. I will be setting up a relational DB with many tables. But I can do that during the import. You don't need to worry about that on the spreadsheet.

I noticed that Kicker and the like were missing stats too. Looks like the guy never updated those. We will need to do that.

Take a look at the headings from each player in each position and that will give you your headings for the columns. Not all rows will be populated for each player. But at least that will give me all the fields to be imported into the DB.

Crazy no. Extreme yes. :D

OK - I'll enter player info for a few first then share.

I've done some relational db building/normalization which is why I worry about this stuff. If we can get the data shells right I think the data entry, though long and tedious, will go a lot better.

It's too bad we can't just find their back-end tables and copy those, then update the stats sections. :)

I got through the A names tonight. 47 players in just under 2 hours. All the basic player info on one sheet, and separate sheets for rushing, receiving and passing stats. Not too bad, but it's going to take a while especially since I can't do this every night. But I'll keep going.

Main sheet has these fields:

• Number
  • FirstName
  • MidName
  • LastName
  • JuniorEtc
  • Nickname
  • Season# (the number of seasons with Skins)
  • SeasonSpan (e.g. 1993-1999)
  • Positions
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Born
  • BirthPlace
  • HS
  • College

Are these fields good?

One interesting thing is that the original tables must have not only the first, middle, last and nickname fields, but also a "familiar" name field. In some cases, someone's name on the player list (by alpha) shows for instance "Jim" but on the individual player page it shows "James" and then there is a whole different nickname like "Froggy." Go figure. Is it worth setting up another field for the familiar name? So far I've put the familiar name in the nickname field unless there is a pre-existing nickname.

Edited by MassSkinsFan

I got through the A names tonight. 47 players in just under 2 hours. All the basic player info on one sheet, and separate sheets for rushing, receiving and passing stats. Not too bad, but it's going to take a while especially since I can't do this every night. But I'll keep going.

Main sheet has these fields:

• Number
  • FirstName
  • MidName
  • LastName
  • JuniorEtc
  • Nickname
  • Season# (the number of seasons with Skins)
  • SeasonSpan (e.g. 1993-1999)
  • Positions
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Born
  • BirthPlace
  • HS
  • College

Are these fields good?

One interesting thing is that the original tables must have not only the first, middle, last and nickname fields, but also a "familiar" name field. In some cases, someone's name on the player list (by alpha) shows for instance "Jim" but on the individual player page it shows "James" and then there is a whole different nickname like "Froggy." Go figure. Is it worth setting up another field for the familiar name? So far I've put the familiar name in the nickname field unless there is a pre-existing nickname.

I was just thinking about your previous post and did this (see image below).

So don't enter anymore data yet. I will build the front end to the table and then you can just input the data directly into the DB without using the spreadsheet as long as you have Access 2003. Cool huh.

Yes we can add the proper name field and nickname field (might be a cool idea).

I can PM you my email is you want to take this conversation off of this thread.

Edited by zskins

Just out of curiousity. What good is it putting it in an MS Access Database? You can't link to it from ExtremeSkins? It would have to be MySQL or the likes and a web form of some sort to query the db?

Just asking.

zskins would be the one to answer, but based on my experience, since MS Access is compatible with SQL, there really shouldn't be an issue.

I am closing in on the 500 mark now. This is fun stuff. :silly:

• 2 months later...

Actually he has updated some of the stuff, but his method is scatter-brained. Like, he's got some game descriptions from 2006 and 2007, but a lot of his player database stuff is only updated to 2005.

That's easy enough to fix. We need somebody on ES to get motivated. A couple members are supposedly working on it, but I haven't heard anything lately...

A couple members are supposedly working on it, but I haven't heard anything lately...

I finished the initial transcription of data from the site into an Excel file yesterday, and I'm now double-checking it and correcting errors/omissions. I should finish that by the end of next week. At that point the dataset will include all the info from redskinsdb.com and will have corrections to some erroneous data that was on the site (e.g. players listed at height 5' 12", missing info for Portis and Sellers, etc.).

I've contacted zskins about how he envisions adding the players and data for 2006-2009.

We should make more progress soon.

Just wanted to update folks on progress.

I finished moving data from redskinsdb.com over to an Excel file, for everything except roster lists. I forgot about those entirely, but now realize you need them in order to calculcate players' total years of service and span of time with team (e.g. first/last year as a Skin). So, I'm working on that move now, but running into a few problems since redskinsdb.com is currently offline (service unavailable). Zskins has some html pages with roster info that I was able to use, but I'm still missing 31 rosters. Hopefully the site will come back online soon. If not, it may slow me down as cutting/pasting from html pages is only good if the formats are the same. We'll see.

I am now done adding player stats for the 06-09 guys. But, I need to go back and add player info (DOB, Birthplace, H/W, etc.) for anyone who joined us after 2005. That will require data entry. Yuck.

A thought about stats: In the old db, stats were limited to rushing, receiving and passing. I'm hoping to "top up" the data set to include 06-09 players/stats, then make that available. I call that Phase I and that is nearing completion - projected finish in a month to a month and a half.

I'd like to consider adding other stats such as PR, KR, defensive, etc. It could be quite an undertaking, but it would be better to have complete stats I think. Let's call that Phase IIa. Additionally, there are "freak stats" like Pete Kendall having one reception in 2008 - I think those are cool and am thinking about adding them in Phase IIb.

Before I start on Phase II I'd like to know who will view this (or who used it in the past) and whether or not the extra work of adding those stats categories is something worth doing. MTH do you have any idea if people were happy with limited rush/catch/throw stats, or if they pined for more?

Thanks.