Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Start A Rookie QB Right Away? (MET and please learn from it)

Big "Pimpin" Chief

Ryan, Flacco, and Sanchez were put in situations to succeed (and Sanchez still put up crappy numbers). Ryan had a quality OL and great running game. We have the opposite. Flacco had a good supporting cast as well as a very good defense. Sanchez has a good OL, great running game and dominant defense. Putting a rookie behind anything even close to our line with our lack or running game would be borderline sadistic.

For some reason people usually ignore those intangibles.

There is no QB worth drafting this year at #4....I don't like Bradord and he is the only one that should be considered.

Has there ever been a QB that at the time he came out you felt was worth the #4 pick, and if so list him/them. I have a feeling that a lot of people just don't like drafting QBs period.

This is why I say to trade Campbell to Minnesota for Rosenfels and picks. This way we get value out of the guy but still have a veteran who knows the new system who could start at least a few games while the o-line and running game get their legs under them.

I am on the "Wait until you get an OLine to protect the QB" group. I saw it with Ramsey and I've seen it with Campbell. I even saw it with Brunell, who came in as a vet. Basically, it's just like Pavlov's dogs. You train a dog that when he hears a bell, he gets food. Then, ring a bell, and whether the food comes or not, the dog salivates.

With QB's, let him get hit, almost every play. 3-step, 5-step, 7-step, any and every pass, let the QB get clobbered because there's no blocking. The QB starts moving his feet instead of setting and stepping into his throws. I refer to it as "happy feet". Every time, the QB goes back for a pass, the dancing happy feet come back because the QB, like Pavlov's dogs, learn that he's going to get hit. Without the proper footwork, you have a QB hitting on about half his cylinders. High passes, low passes, passes off the back foot, early passes, weak passes, too many dump passes - all of them part of a footwork issue.

I'm tired of ruining QB's while waiting to get an OL. If you get the QB first, then sit him until the Redskins finally have an OL that protects the QB as the rule, not the exception. Give him all the yellow shirt practice you want. Just don't let half the DE's in the league tee off on our QB, play after play.

Archived