Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Directv/Tivo question

Golgo-13

We recently got directv installed at our new home and love it. My wife is already talking about wanting to upgrade to one of the Tivo units. Do you have to buy them from Directv, or can you get them off ebay and just put them in yourself? Seems like I could save some jack buying them off ebay. Any advice, suggestions, etc. is welcome. Thanks.

Golgo, 2 questions, did you finish the Alienist and 2nd, I'm thinking about getting direct TV (I get all the Skins games so it's not for that alone) but what should I know? Are there any "catches" or hidden items you need that they don't tell you about until afterwards?

I did finish the Alienist. It was an outstanding read. I am planning on picking up Angel of Darkness sometime in the near future.

So far, with Directv I have been VERY happy. I got the package they are offering for new subscribers where if you buy NFL Sunday Ticket, you don't have to pay for your regular channel package for four months. The cheapest regular channel package is about 40 bucks per month and the sunday ticket is 56 per month. So for 16 more per month I got sunday ticket PLUS (and this was the big kicker) you don't just get the regular channel package either. They give you the premeire package where you get all the movie channels etc. Needless to say, I am drowning in TV channels now and loving every minute of it.

As far as catches or anything, I have not come across anything so far. You have to pay an extra 4.99 per month for each extra reciever you want. I have not gotten my first bill yet, so I probably won't be seeing any potential snags until then. They did say that Virginia does not charge tax on it, so that is a plus. Overall I'm very very happy with it so far and am very much looking forward to having every game on during the season. PM me if you have any specific questions.

You can buy them off e-bay, but you would just need to go through the setup by calling directv. You can't do anything without directv knowing. At least I think that's how it works. If you have any questions call directv customer service. They've alway been very helpful to me.

-DB

Well, I just ordered my direct tv with tivo.

I should receive it wed or thursday. I'll probably go with the NFL package promotion not because I need it (I already get Skins games on my local station) but I love the idea of being able to watch any other game I want. I like a lot of different players and being able to see my game choice is really cool, however, you do pay out the ying yang.

I just hope this "free" professional installation is not a fraud, I'll be pissed.

I am about to be unplugged.....

at least I might be. and it's an aweful feeling not knowing. In a week I mive into a brand new apartment building. The guy next to me gets 60% reception. Mine should be a little worse....

Code, the pro install is not a fraud. It is an amazing deal. AND, when you move, for $25 you get the new dish and pro install. I just hope these pros can get me my directv, otherwise, I'm gonna be an unhappy camper.

-DB

I'd like to have tivo for the convenience, but I've got my directv hooked up to a Phillips dvd recorder so i can make temporary (DVD+RW) or permanent (DVD+R) copies of anything I want to watch anyway. Its a beautiful thing. All within the constraints of the law of course. Tivo would be nice though!

On a somewhat related note, I just received my HDTV decoder box today. Now all I need is the triple-LNB dish installed.

If you visit DirecTv's website you'll find that the HDTV dish is free, but the installation is $49.95.

So I called the number listed and told them that Dish Network was not only giving me the dish, but providing free installation as well. (I'll need to remember this one the next time I hit a confessional box). Anywho, the nice lady at DirecTv said she'd wave the fee so long as I commited to a year of Total Choice. Being that I've had Total Choice for about 8 years I figured that another year wasn't too high a price to pay. :)

Now all I need to do is go shopping this weekend for a OTA (over the air) antenna to pick up the locals (DirecTv does not offer local channels in HDTV).. I figure I'll mount an antenna with a rotor in my attic. The rotor of course will have to function via a remote. I'd do a multidirectional antenna but I've read that they aren't as good at picking up distant stations.

A good website to visit to determine which stations are broadcasting in HDTV in your area and how far they are from your address is http://www.antennaweb.org

Archived