Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2003 Second Year Quarterback Analysis

Thinking Skins

I was just looking online and I found this analysis.

2003 Second Year Quarterback Analysis

Smokin' Joe - July 4, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a look into how Smokin’ Joe thinks the second year quarterbacks are going to fair fantasy-wise this year. They have had a year to adjust to the rigors of the NFL and learn their teams' system. They have started some games and even finished some of the games that they started. They have bought their mom a house and their girlfriend a car, but do they deserve some draft day love in their second season in the league?

The table below lists their stats from last year, with the following sections giving the rundown on each player.

Player

Team

Games

Comp

Attempts

Comp %

Yards

Yards / Attempt

TD's

Int's

Sacks

QB Rating

Patrick Ramsey Was 7 117 227 51.5 1539 6.8 9 8 18 71.8

Chad Hutchinson Dal 9 127 250 50.8 1555 6.2 7 8 34 66.3

David Carr Hou 16 233 444 52.5 2592 5.8 9 15 78 62.8

Joey Harrington Det 14 215 429 50.1 2294 5.3 12 16 8 59.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Ramsey – Washington Redskins

Ramsey showed last year that he was the best man to run coach Steve Spurrier’s offense in Washington. He threw nine touchdowns in only seven starts and finished with the highest rating of all of the first year quarterbacks. Amazingly, he performed this well after missing most of training camp because of a contract holdout.

This year as the clear cut starter he will get most of the snaps in training camp and with a backup by the name of Rob Johnson, (Most recently of Tampa Bay) his job appears to be safe, or as safe as a Steve Spurrier quarterback can feel.

The addition of free agents Laverneous Coles and Trung Candidate should provide the Redskins with some much needed speed and big play ability which are essential ingredients in the “Fun and Gun” offense. Where do you draft Patrick Ramsey? In a ten team league he is a backup with a very big upside. If Ramsey and his new toys start to gel, this could be a very explosive offense.

Chad Hutchinson – Dallas Cowboys

Why is it that fans from Detroit and Houston feel like they have their quarterbacks of the future, yet Cowboy fans are calling for someone new to come in and start?

The reality of the situation is that Hutchinson had a better quarterback rating than his highly drafted counterparts. I rarely use QB rating to judge performance, but overall it does provide a good gauge of what is really happening.

So why is Hutchinson viewed so poorly? Chad took four years off to play baseball and then signed with the Cowboys and started running for his life behind the worst offensive line in football last year.

This year in comes Coach Bill Parcells, in comes offensive lineman Ryan Tracy and the return of a healthy Larry Allen and a healthy Flozell Adams. I expect Chad to improve the most of any of these second year quarterbacks because he has been away from the game for so long. I do not recommend drafting Chad any higher than a third string fantasy quarterback.

David Carr – Houston Texans

I think it is safe to say that Carr had a pressure packed rookie season. David led the league in getting sacked last year with 78 throw-downs. I know that the Texans have no offensive line, no running backs and no receivers, but 5 sacks a game? That’s outrageous. One thing we did learn about Carr is that he is durable because he did start all 16 games.

The good news is that it looks like left tackle Tony Boselli will actually step on the field this season and the Texans have added right tackle Zack Wiegert from Jacksonville and rookie wide receiver Andre Johnson from Miami all three of whom should make life easier for Carr.

I like his toughness and willingness to take one for the team, but until he gets a better supporting cast keep him off of your draft board.

Joey Harrington – Detroit Lions

Joey had a typically tough rookie season for a starting quarterback as his league low quarterback rating suggests. However, a closer look into the numbers reveals some interesting points. For instance, the table above shows he was in 14 games but he only had significant playing time in 11. Harrington is credited with 429 attempts for the season but he threw 410 in those 11 games, an average of 37 per game.

So we know that Harrington is going to throw the ball but his two top receivers, Bill Schroeder (36 catches), and Az-Zahir Hakim (37 catches) combined for a total of 73 catches last year.

Hello wide receiver Charlie Rogers with the 2nd pick in the draft. Coach Steve Mariucci was hired to replace his former disciple Marty Mornhinweg so the west coast offense employed last year should continue to grow this year. Draft Joey as a backup and if you are in a keeper league his value is higher because I believe he has a bright future.

Archived