Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Champ the next A-Rod?

Hitnskins

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

There's always a comparison. NO player on a football team is untouchable. Not even remotely. This isn't basketball. Joe Montana wasn't untouchable, and neither is Champ. Regardless of his youth. There isn't a single player in the entire NFL who is untouchable. Period.

You are right. No player is untouchable. but comparing Champ to Davis is comparing apples to oranges. Two different situations. Davis's skills were not a good fit for this offense. Champ's skills are a good fit in ANY defense. Davis WAS far more expendable.

Champ is just doing what any good negotiator will do. Start by asking for everything and work your way back from there. If it get's down to the wire and he refuses anything less than some outrageous amount then we have to let him go. Untill then you guys are getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.

Relax. K? :cheers:

You can't compare Bailey to someone like Lewis. A great cornerback often makes the biggest impact because teams WON'T throw his way. That kind of impact doesn't show up on Sportscenter highlights. But its a huge plus to take away nearly half the playing field for large chunks of the game. Surely you can see that?

As for the $$ argument, lets face it, ALL pro athletes make obscene money (whether their careers are short, risky, etc...or not). Thats part of the game. And there isn't a franchise out there that doesn't have to pay obscene money to one of their stars. Sure you can give him his walking papers and smugly pat yourself on the back as you watch another team pay the obscene money. And you can enjoy going 7-9 in perpetuity as a result of letting your best players get away.

As for Champ not being one of the top corners....I don't know how you can argue that with a straight face.

Dolemite,

"There arent stupid comments just stupid people." Um kay?

A Rod's contract is guaranteed the major flaw with baseball.

In football the only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus and the base salary of the first year.

He is the best and considering how he overcame 5 different defensive schemes to play at a high level is what impresses me about him and Lavar.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

The post isnt as stupid as most of you are making it out to be.

I don't know Todd....he started the post off with the assertion that 'Champs just not all that good' and offers the Pro Bowl as evidence? Its not hard to see why he's getting jumped on. I think its valid to argue whether ultimately we can AFFORD to keep him if he refuses to come down significantly in his contract demand. Its even valid to question whether he's committed to the Redskins organization when he at least appears ambivalent to how badly giving him such a contract could hamstring their efforts to fill other needs and be a winning organization. But to argue he's not all that good and ignore the huge impact losing Champ would have on the Skins....thats a pretty dubious assertion.

Well....I'll admit I've posted the occasional knucklehead comment as most have....not trying to pile on...

I'd not have gotten testy if he'd stuck to the A-rod comparison and the impact of keeping Bailey with a contract this size instead of minimizing Bailey's importance and talent.

I'd have really liked to have seen this get done in the offseason as I think it could prove to be a major distraction in a season we really hope to turn the corner in.

Originally posted by Dolemite

Champ gets beat on a weekly basis, and I do not believe that teams throw or stay away from Champs side of the field. They may on occasion, but I've seen him get beat too many times to think otherwise.

Three years ago Champ effectively helped end Deion's career by forcing teams to throw (successfully) at Deion because they didn't dare test Champ. While Champ's preferred method of coverage - tight, man up - has since been screwed with by everyone who's coached him, he's as good or better than he was then.

If flaws in anyone's coverage skills were exposed because of Champ's play, it's Smoot, who clearly has to improve because he has a target on his back due to be opposite of Champ.

A good argument can be made that Champ's the best player on the team, but even if you disagree, there's no argument that he's in the top 2 or 3.

Archived