Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of Talent vs. Talent Management

SpearTip

Are we in danger of wrongly replacing quality players struggling in a bad environment or does management know enough to accurately evaluate their talent (or lack of)?

:logo:

I trust Shanahan's judgment when it comes to offensive talent.

I also know for a fact that there are many players that we were forced to utilize last year that weren't starting material due to piss poor management from the previous FO personnel.

I think we have had bad talent management. We certainly have alot of talent on defense. Orakpo, Haynesworth, Fletcher, McIntosh, Carter, Hall, Rogers, Landry. On offense we have potential with Thomas, Davis, and Kelly. I'd say Portis and Cooley are our talent on offense. If Shanhan does what he says he is gonna do, tailor schemes around the players we have, we should be in good shape.

After our terrible season I know some housecleaning is in order, but I'm worried we will clean house too much and extend our rebuild time (again). Sounds like both Portis and Cooley could be traded.

No one's going to take Portis contract or want a RB with the mileage that he has on his legs.

No reason to trade Cooley at all, considering what Shanny likes to do with TE's.

Good question. Difficult answers. Especially in blog format. But I'd say it's talent management.

I've played rugby for 23 years (quit 4 years ago) for some really good teams and I can say that the level of talent (physical talent, mental talent) is usually even most of the time. It's how athletes play as a team that separate the great from the good, and the good from the bad. The wins and the loses.

And I believe at the NFL level, the talent is even more evenly matched, team-t- team. Sheesh... Every player has come from a top-flight college with all the tools needed to be top-flight athletes. The one difference maker from team-to-team is the coaching: and I mean playbook development, getting the right players to execute the playbook, game day preparation, and ultimately, managing the game itself.

So I firmly believe it's talent management.

I think it is a talent management issue for sure. We have games where we played great and then others where we looked no better then a high-school team playing NFL teams.

Yeah, I think that the inconsistencies in performance show that management is the main problem.

I think its impossible to be consistently successful when your top personnel guy (Vinny), head coach (Zorn), and quarterback are all in over their head. If you have poor fits in the 3 most important positions in the organization, it doesn't matter how talented the rest of the team is.

Archived