Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about a trade for Joshua Cribbs?

ixcuincle

Here is an issue that I have with simply stating that Cribb's skill set is easily attainable in the draft. If it were true wouldn't the NFL be crawling with outstandingly stellar return people?

I would argue that the NFL is crawling with stellar return people. Cribbs' averages as a returner are good but they aren't mind-blowingly good. His TD count is the only thing that really separates him from the pack. You also have to remember that a lot of the more lethal return men in the league don't actually return the ball at all because they're top players at other positions. MJD, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Wes Welker, and DeAngelo Hall immediately come to mind as examples.

Steve Smith

Santana Moss

ARE were all good kick returners when they were younger too. After 4-5 years these guys lose alot of the speed they need to be good a returning kicks. Cribbs is very good, but his best returns are behind him and he gives you nothing at WR.

NO!

I look forward to Rock getting the boot, Shanny will not keep a slow midget returning kicks to the 22 yard line.

Players don't just happen to "magically" lose their speed just because they played in the NFL for 2-4 years. They actually are normally in their physical "prime" by that stage in their careers (taking in factors such as age, NFL training regimen, their adjustment to the speed of the game and the top-notch athletes, etc). **If you want any proof of this, you could just go back and take a look at Clinton "way past his prime, and has been for long-long time" Portis, running stride-for-stride with Laron "4.35" Landry.

As for Santana Moss, last time I checked, he was pretty ****ing awesome with the minimal opportunities he had just over a year ago. Steve Smith has had serious injuries in his past, is the Panthers' best WR (BY FAR) and is just way too important in as a WR for the Panthers to risk putting him back at PR duties. [bTW, I checked the Panthers depth chart, and no, Steve Smith is not even listed as the back-up KR/PR]

Personally, IF THE PRICE WERE RIGHT, I would trade for him in a heartbeat. Comparing Chad Morton to Cribbs is ridiculous, as Morton had NEVER even SHOWED the possibility of being the PR/KR that Cribbs has already proven that he is.

Cribbs is much more like a Dante Hall/Devin Hester/ARE(Steelers' version) in their prime. And if you look at the reason for their immediate drop off in KR/PR abilities production, its because the teams that the played/play for did not appreciate what they did best, and that is giving their team a HUGE advantage in terms of Field of Position.

The Bears were not contempt in leaving Hester as their returner, in which he was one of, if not THE BEST KR/PR guys ever, so they forced a square peg (Hester) into a round hole (WR position).

The Chiefs did the same thing with Hall. Just when he was at his peak as a KR/PR guy, they decide to overextend his duties, and have him focus on becoming a WR as well.

The result? They both failed miserably as WRs and their overuse killed their game altering ability in the positions which they were born to play at.

As for ARE and his time w/ the Redskins, seeing him as our #2 WR - which he WAS NOT brought in to be - is all the proof you need. *Also, lets not forget his first year as a skin, when he was much less involved in the offense, and oh-so-coincidentally, produced as a PR guy in which we expected.

Only the Steelers (which, given their track record as a historically great organization) were smart enough to realise that trying to overuse ARE as a WR would only diminish his abilities to do what he did best, the same role Cribbs has had so far (focus mainly on KR/PR, with the occasional "trick/gadget/etc." play on offense).

That could be a big reason why, IMO, that the Browns are "lowballing" Cribbs. Because as soon as he gets his big payday, EVERYONE is going to expect him to come in on offense and excel as a WR and/or "special" package (i.e. "Wildcat") guy.

All Cleveland had to do was just looik over at how Chicago ****ed up w/ what they had with Devin Hester the Returner, and what they now have with Devin Hester, their "#1WR"

WTF is my point? If we can get him for a low round pick/ player trade, then he would be a GREAT pickup. Snyder will "show him the money," and hopefully Shanahan and crew would have him playing the same role he currently is (in which he is excelling at), and not try to make a legit, NFL-caliber WR out of him.

^^^^^^^Yeah, I remember one of our DBs giving him a good shot when we played them 2 years ago.

Prior to the gaame, Cribbs was talking **** alll week about how he was gonna "show us" for not drafting him. We did, IIRC, pursue him as an UFA, but he felt "betrayed" or w/e since we didn't draft him, so ho signed w/Cle rather than his favorite boyhood team.

There was an article [thanks to bubba, as always] posted on the site where he said he was going to "make us pay" for not drafting him...

*For the record, he was an absolute non-factor in the entire game, and got popped in the mouth by either Smoot or another DB...lol...it was beautiful...

Archived