Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quinton Ganther: legitimate?

SkinsTribeVA

Amid all the talk of coaching changes, Shanahan, QB's, OL, the draft, etc etc, no one seems to be talking a whole lot about the guy who, after this weekend, will have been the starting running back for the Washington Redskins for four games. Of course, being the starting running back for the last four games of a horrid season doesn't say much, but is this kid legitimate? He's been running behind an absolutely pathetic OL and doesn't have a consistent passing game to ease the pressure. But when he's gotten a little room, he's made some things happen. You can tell he plays with heart and he looks like a powerful runner, if not the speediest guy. So let's get the debate going-- is Ganther legitimate? Should he be retained this offseason? Should he compete for the starting job next year?

Here are some links to help out...

If you haven't already read the Wash.Post article on his background, check it out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/26/AR2009122601322.html

U of Utah player bio:

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ganther_quinton00.html

Here are a bunch of game highlights on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/search/?query=quinton+ganther&type=video

And this is just awesome:

Yea that's true, Shanny's scheme is more fitted to speedsters (e.g. Portis in Denver).

I think my optimal scenario would be to sign Lendale White, draft a RB in the 4th (or in the 2nd if trade back and have multiple 2nds), open up a competition, and figure out a good rotation-- I think we'd do much better with a RB combo or committee.

It's 'legit', not 'legitimate'. Get it right.

Anyway, I don't need to see college clips of this kid. I see him run and block hard in the NFL.

(Yes, I know legit is short for legitimate.)

Yea that's true, Shanny's scheme is more fitted to speedsters (e.g. Portis in Denver).

I think my optimal scenario would be to sign Lendale White, draft a RB in the 4th (or in the 2nd if trade back and have multiple 2nds), open up a competition, and figure out a good rotation-- I think we'd do much better with a RB combo or committee.

:whoknows:

his 13 yards rushing last week, and 3.4 yard average isn't helping himself right now. I like his running style, but he needs to make more of it.

Rock is more effective as of right now, higher rush average, and is a better receiver.

But the game film from the Boys game tells a different story than the stats. He actually had a few decent runs where he really plowed through traffic but then there were a bunch of runs where he had zero room and got tackled in the backfield, and after that we were well behind and gave up on the run.

I agree that Rock has the edge as a receiving RB but I think I like Ganther better as an all-around RB. Does Shanny's system demand pass-catching RB's?

:whoknows:

Haha got me on that one. I wasn't connecting the two, I just think Lendale's an underrated RB at this point, he's still young, and someone's gonna get him for a decent price.

Although keep in mind that Lendale dropped 40lbs this past offseason and hasn't gotten a great chance to show what he can do now.

But the game film from the Boys game tells a different story than the stats. He actually had a few decent runs where he really plowed through traffic but then there were a bunch of runs where he had zero room and got tackled in the backfield, and after that we were well behind and gave up on the run.

I agree that Rock has the edge as a receiving RB but I think I like Ganther better as an all-around RB. Does Shanny's system demand pass-catching RB's?

no pass catching RBs aren't a priority in his scheme... just the ability to catch a screen pass here and there and get a dump off pass every once and a while

I wouldn't quite say that. Reuben Droughns and Mike Anderson weren't known for being especially fast.

Right... speed RB for his scheme would be a plus... but they need the ability to get out on the stretch plays and the vision to make that one cut ... those are the RBs that thrive in his scheme like terrell davis and clinton portis.

Haha got me on that one. I wasn't connecting the two, I just think Lendale's an underrated RB at this point, he's still young, and someone's gonna get him for a decent price.

Although keep in mind that Lendale dropped 40lbs this past offseason and hasn't gotten a great chance to show what he can do now.

40lbs???

They say that you can't teach speed. Can you diet for speed? :)

White hasn't averaged more than 4 ypc since his rookie year and he barely saw the field that year.

Yea I don't think White would be worth big money, but I think he's a solid runner, no one's really seen what he can do now that he's dropped all that weight, and he's probably both gotten his attitude in check and gotten hungry now that he's spent a year locked in at #2 behind the league's best.

QG has earned a shot as a second or third RB in camp.

That being said, the Skins are going to have to start from scratch at the position because Clinton Tortoise...sorry...Portis is done as far as I'm concerned (he ran the slowest 70 whatever yard run in the history of the NFL this season...it was actually funny watching it; not to mention his theft of a salary that can be dumped in an uncapped year), Betts is coming off major surgery and Rock is Rock. Mason and Aldridge are camp fodder......

It should be interesting.

his 13 yards rushing last week, and 3.4 yard average isn't helping himself right now. I like his running style, but he needs to make more of it.

Rock is more effective as of right now, higher rush average, and is a better receiver.

If you compare the two just for this year Ganther has more upside then Rock.

http://www.nfl.com/players/quintonganther/careerstats?id=GAN664462

http://www.nfl.com/players/rockcartwright/careerstats?id=CAR808221

By the way Rock has avg of 3.6 for this year so it is not like he is doing extremely well over Ganther. And Ganther is 5 years younger then Rock.

Yea I don't think White would be worth big money, but I think he's a solid runner, no one's really seen what he can do now that he's dropped all that weight, and he's probably both gotten his attitude in check and gotten hungry now that he's spent a year locked in at #2 behind the league's best.

I'd still hesitate to sign anyone who lost 30 lbs by cutting tequila out of his diet.

If you compare the two just for this year Ganther has more upside then Rock.

http://www.nfl.com/players/quintonganther/careerstats?id=GAN664462

http://www.nfl.com/players/rockcartwright/careerstats?id=CAR808221

By the way Rock has avg of 3.6 for this year so it is not like he is doing extremely well over Ganther. And Ganther is 5 years younger then Rock.

Wait, isn't my......nevermind. Yuck it up.

Archived