Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

rebuild mode?

haraldjun

I tink we should now go to rebuild modus to get us a chance in the next years (hopefully we will have some after 2010 - CBA!?!?)

And if so how should Bruce deal with it, total overhaul of the roster and the coaching staff seems a necessity

Let´s have a look what could be a building block for the new regime

QB ?Brennan, ?Campbell as 1 year hole fille? – needs definitely an upgrade big question high draft pick or FA

RB Ganther to have at least a name here (Portis and Betts are done)

WR Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell, Moss

FB Sellers

TE Davis, Cooley

LT ?Samules if he returns, Jones as a possible backup – here start know the discussion what to do with 1st rd pick 2010

LG Dockery

C Rabach?

RG ?Rinehart?

RT ?

Well OL doesn´t look too good

DE Orakpo, Carter, Jarmon

DT Haynesworth, Golston, Montgomery, maybe even Griffin

LB Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades

CB Hall, Tryon, Barnes, (?Rogers? question would be what to do with him?)

FS Moore

SS Horton, Landry, Doughty

ST Onion (Gano), Hunter the Punter, The Rock, The Read Head, L. Alexander

Training Campers with a chance Westbrook, Jackson, Wilson, Alridge, three Williams´s (FB+C+G), two Montgomery´s (DT+G)

That’s 38 (already counting all guys with questions marks and even Campbell ;) ) so 19 roster spots are up for grabs, especially everyone near the 300pound mark should call Redskins Park we need OL help. ;)

So not a big new insight here but, that looks like a big rebuilding effort even worse than the Lions and Bucs, they have at least started yet.

So what would be alternatives:

QB – I think draft is the only way, the fans need something to see as a positive and we need hope and a new face for the franchise...

HB – maybe Chester Taylor will be a FA next year, can catch the ball and would be a nice addition, and get a speedy one in the later rounds

WR – get some FA´s to battle for the open spots

FB – maybe someone younger than Sellers needed, but at least we have someone

OL – big issue, draft and FA an absolute necessity but Bruce has shown tendency to get this addressed soon and often

DL – looks good a few rotational guys and we seem to be fine

LB – need help, but not that bad as long as we have Fletch and Rocky

CB – big question marks here with Smoot and Rogers, will be interesting to see

FS – definitely a area of need but we need leadership here so a FA would be better than draft

SS – well looks good, as long as we can keep Landry in the box

ST – looks good but KR/PR guy needed (speedy RB?)

Well these are my thoughts, I am not proposing when whom to draft cause the draft is too far away and I don´t have any knowledge about college football, other than some articles on si.com, so no speculation here.

I would like to see the following, but that’s just a personal favorit:

1st round: Trade the 1st (#5) to maybe the 49ers for their 2 first rounders (small possibility) or for a 1st/2nd and maybe a low 3rd or 4th sor something on 2011 though to get more picks and get a QB and a LT high in the draft

2nd round: Some more OL or a HB

3rd round: was Jarmon and I am fine with that

4th/6th/7th round: OL, DB,LB (or a speedy HB if not already chosen in the 2nd)

I don´t think we have a fifthrounder, but please correct me if I am wrong (tried to figure it out, but no details on Nfl.com or redskins.com)

BTW fill the practice squad with OL, like the Bengals, worked quite well for them (started 2 or 3 former practice squad members, who were given time there to develop)

Regarding the coaching staff, I don´t have a clue what to think about all the names swirling around, I would like Shanahan but only without is Def coord Slowik (the Denver D was a mess) even if history shows that a SB winning coach has´t had success with his next team, but maybe he can get our offense going and this would be a start....BTW where´s Marty? ;)

So I am optimistic that we get something done, but it will take it´s time and I hope to see at least a positive trend next year, even though we will have to fight for every win. (but schedule with TB, DET, RAMS should help)

well personally...I dont feel this team needs a serious overhaul (although the attitude of some of the players has forced me to say get rid of them all) But...I think we are a handful of players away from heading in the right direction (getting back on track) we have talent..no question...I think we need a legit coach with a valid coaching staff (like Shanny and Co.) get rid of a handful and replace with players who fit with the new coaching staffs system

Unless Samuels comes back (and I'll guess you can get 10 to 1 he won't), you need to replace 5 OL in the next 2 years. The Skins also need one LB, one QB (even if you keep JC), and one "stretch-the-field WR" in the next 3 years (decision to be made after next year based on production of ARE and Kelly). I would say that classifies as a rebuild. Randy Thomas is probably not done, but can you afford to pay 3.5 million for a guy who probably won't make it past mid-season?

So, we have picks in Rounds 1,2,4,5 and 7. Even if the Skins were the best at Scouting OL (they aren't) and could count on Thomas (they can't) and got lucky and found 5 out of 5 OL who were actually good (they won't), there is no way they are going to fix the OL in a single year. So the Skins have to stick with some of the current OL for another year.

I know that everybody trots out Jansen's name or the Giants OL and shows that as proof positive that somehow the Skins can ignore the OL until the 4th round or later. That attitude from Vinny/Snyder/Gibbs/whoever is what got this team into the mess the team is currently in. The FO bet the team for the last 10 years that late round picks, UDFA's and other team's castoffs could be the foundation of an OL. Within the realm of possibility, I agree. But within the realm of possibility is me flipping heads 5 times in a row on a two-sided coin. Don't bet money or the franchise on either me flipping heads 5 times in a row or finding 5 good OL out of nothing but 4th round picks and later. It just boggles the imagination to think that someone expects otherwise.

Spend the first two picks on OL this year. Prior to the combine, there are no QB's worthy of a top 5 pick. Almost as important as that top 5 pick is the fact we get to pick 5th in the second round. That's pretty close to a first round pick. You'll know Samuels future by the draft. If, as expected, he's going to retire, build your OLine around this year's first two picks. Pray to get Okung first, but if he's gone, get Trent Williams. He rates almost as high as Okung and both rate higher than the number one rated QB Bradford. Regardless of the first pick, there are some quality guards that should be there around pick 37. Ducasse from UMass or Iubati from Idaho are both good guards and Ducasse has the mass to be a guard or a tackle, although he'd be better at guard. Keep Rabach for another year. This year's class of centers is undersized just like Rabach. Wait for next year and see if you can get Maurkice Pouncey out of Florida. As a junior, he won the Rimington award as the best center in the country. Barring injury, he's a high second round choice next year if not late first round.

The Skins are going to have another year as the cellar dwellers, no matter who the picks are, which means we can go after a QB next year if CD/JC/TC can't carry the QB load. But if they do it right and start rebuilding the offensive trenches now, they have a chance to be back on top of the NFC East in 2011 or 2012. Hopefully, they don't put it off any longer.

well personally...I dont feel this team needs a serious overhaul (although the attitude of some of the players has forced me to say get rid of them all) But...I think we are a handful of players away from heading in the right direction (getting back on track) we have talent..no question...I think we need a legit coach with a valid coaching staff (like Shanny and Co.) get rid of a handful and replace with players who fit with the new coaching staffs system

Winning cures a bad attitude, attitude does not cause winning. A person with a good attitude about losing is a loser. The biggest myth is that there are too many holes (followed closely by the 1 or 2 players away myth).

After much consideration here is what GM SCskin would do(some of it).

1. Tender Campbell, see if we can get a 2nd rd pick for him(maybe 3rd in 10' and 4th in 11' if nobody bites on a 2nd).

2. Trade Cooley for a 2nd rd pick. You gotta use your most valuable asset.

Now you have a 1st and three 2nds to work with, plus FA's.

Pick your QB in the 1st, and OT,OG, and either RB or CB with the three 2nds.

That's a start.

Archived