Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the Skins need to do (offseason)

ddsskk87

Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl?

• Arizona Cardinals
    • Baltimore Ravens
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Denver Broncos
    • Green Bay Packers
    • Houston Texans
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Miami Dolpins
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • New England Patriots
    • New Orleans Saints
    • New York Jets
    • Pittsburgh Steelers
    • San Diego Chargers

These redskins have lots of work to do.

the redskins offense needs to return to being nearly unstoppable in short yardage situations.

the quarterback has to be able to quickly read defenses and make fast accurate throws into a small window.

the defense must play smarter. The dbs are getting juked out of their jocks. coaching is not up to par in this regard. want to see better tackling and fewer yards after the catch. letting receivers run wide open is inexcusable.

I want to see big al getting mad dog mean and bull rushing the passer. coach needs to turn the big man loose. I want to see opposing quarterbacks under constant pressure. Nothing but love for RAK.

Other thoughts:

I watched chip lohmiller miss four field goals in a game against the eagles back in the 90s. He kept his job. To blame the kicker as was done here recently is over the top. If eleven guys can’t score touchdowns when they take the field the answer is fire the kicker?

I want team players that pull together to win for their teammates, not a collection of prima donnas intent on spinning footballs, dancing and thumping their chests with a look me I am cool attitude.

I kind of like Andy Dalton as QB from TCU he rated about 7th this year NCAA,

but I am not sure if he wanting to go PRO or not... He seems to be a good QB

when I watch them few time last year and this year also... He seems to have

good visions with low INT as of 6 for the year surpise me, and his over all stats

seems to be pretty good to... May can get him cheap cause Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy

and Stanford will be high in draft...

where are the rumors that say shanahan likes brennan? i think thats pure bull

All I can say is that Denver when mike shannan was there, Cowboys

wade Philps, Lovie from Bears wanted Colt Brennan BUT Jim Zorn picked

him and told Brennan he would play by 2010 by time he learned all his

plays and learn from bench for two years before starting to play as a starter. BUT all that change NOW sence Jim Zorn will be gone after this

year...

he's the most accurate passer in NCAA history. What can we lose by letting him try

I really don't get the hype behind this kid. So you all claim he's one of the best QB's in NCAA history statistically. Well lets take a look at the top NCAA QBs then:

Timmy Chang, Hawaii: (2000-2004) 17,072 yards

Ty Detmer, BYU: (1988-91) 15,031

Colt Brennan, Hawaii: (2005-07) 14,193

Philip Rivers, North Carolina State: (2000-03) 13,484

Kevin Kolb, Houston: (2003-06) 12,964

Tim Rattay, Louisiana Tech: (1997-99) 12,746

Luke McCown, Louisiana Tech: (2000-03) 12,666

Chris Redman, Louisville: (1996-99) 12,541

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: (1999-02) 12,429

Byron Leftwich, Marshall: (1998-02) 11,903

So how many of these players are still starting QBs in the NFL? ONE of them.

And as for the most efficient passer in an NCAA season...well take a look at this.

NCAA statistics mean nothing at all. Plus that Passer Efficiency stat is greatly inflated in NCAA. If you look at the formula the NCAA gives twice as many points per yard/att than the NFL does. NFL gives 4.17, NCAA gives 8.4. Toss in the fact that Brennan had 120 attempts more than the next closest player and was playing in a sub-par conference and theres why his passer rating was so high.

Brennan is not the answer and anyone who thinks so is clearly delusional. And yes, that includes Chris Cooley.

There are some players that may be released in the offseason before the NFL draft. Randy Thomas will be gone. The Redskins need youth at right guard. Casey Rabach may also be gone. There are plenty of All American centers entering the draft that can replace him. If Chris Samuels retires, then the starting LT position needs to be dealt with. There hasn't been solid play at RT since Jon Jansen was let go. That needs to be addressed.

I think the Redskins, if they decide to re-sign Jason Campbell, need to look long and hard at his supporting cast. Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas will be here. However, what if Bruce Allen decides that Clinton Portis and Santana Moss are trade bait? Allen may be able to get something valuable for them. Chris Cooley has been solid since he's been in Washington. He probably will stay too. Antwaan Randle El, who has a hefty contract, could either be released or traded also. He's contributed to little to nothing on the field, and hasn't looked stellar since his days in Pittsburgh.

After watching yesterdays game, what do people expect colt to do that jason can't do? the problem does not lie with the QB.....I think that drafting Bradford or putting colt in is a great PR move, but the Redskins need to build a fort within the offensive line to put into place a good QB.....there will always be a good QB coming out of the draft....OOOO----LLLLIIINNNEEEEEE....and santana moss is awesome and should not be traded....the guy gets triple covered cuz malcohm kelly doesen't know ****

I'd prefer to just make it a two year process. Take an elite tackle with our first rounder, or trade back and get a tier 2 tackle and a top guard. We can probably get one of the top centers as well if we want to go that route. We need RBs too.

Tender Campbell and let him take the big hits back there while our OL is getting it together. If he turns the corner and shows that he can put the team on his back and win games, then great. If not, then we can go after a QB in 2011 like Jake Locker.

I'm just not sold on any of these QBs in the 2010 class as being franchise material.

GET RID OF EVERYONE! NO-ONE IS SAFE. WE ****ING SUCKED THIS YEAR. NO GODDAMN EXCUSES.

Seriously though, I do agree with the OP about Campbell being MVP material last year, but we are in such a "What have you done for me lately" age, his days are quite possibly numbered. KEEP Jason, **** drafting a QB next year, let's draft an OL, and do it again the year after. Trade away some players like Portis, Randle El, and possibly Davis (LOVES me some Cooley), and go from there. I LOVE Davis also BTW, I own his Rookie Gamer - But I want to ****ing win, and that's ALL I care about. If we can grab 2-5 extra picks, we could be onto something.

Flush the current OL, except Samuels if he's able, and go from there. Re-Sign Jansen for depth as well (and let him retire a SKIN), because Snyder is a douchebag for releasing him in the first place.

We need to NOT be off-season ****ing champs 10 years in a row, and BUILD A REAL ****ING TEAM. That mainly includes Hitler butting the **** out, and letting someone else actually MAKE THE DAMN CALLS. I swear to god if he cannot do that, I will pee on his gates on River Road (unknowingly of course). I am SOOOOOOO Sick of hearing **** from NFCEast fans at work, in general, it's not even funny.

We have a REAL chance now with a real GM, who has true blood in the Redskin's roots. We as fans should be ecstatic about that. I am more optimistic for the next 3 years, then I have been since even before JG 2.0 was installed. Marty is the last GM that gave me a woody, and Snyder (as stated) is a ****ing moron for firing him.

Hail, and God Bless my Redskins family in these difficult times! But as always, we are......

THE OFF-SEASON CHAMPS!!!!!

:logo:

Rick Snider writes a good summary:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Pivotal-offseason-looms-for-Skins-8693909-80237607.html

The sneak peak has become a horror show for the Washington Redskins' new GM Bruce Allen. Consecutive home routs by NFC East foes New York and Dallas on prime time TV proves Washington needs a complete teardown over the offseason. Forget tweaking the roster, that there's enough talent to win. This franchise is in shambles.

Coach Jim Zorn will be gone within hours of Sunday's season-finale at San Diego. Mike Shanahan either comes within days or the Redskins face Plan B with a Brian Billick, Russ Grimm or who knows -- Bill Cowher?

Next, expect a 50 percent roster turnover if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached by March 1 -- 40 percent if it is. If there's no CBA, free agency will be weaker while the draft becomes stronger. Free agents Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers and Reed Doughty become restricted. If the Redskins decide they don't want them, then trade for whatever picks possible. No CBA means a 2011 lockout by owners is almost certain and more college underclassmen will commit to this draft, creating better value. Load up on picks and hope Allen and the new coach can spot talent. Right now, the Redskins are missing their third and sixth selections.

The Redskins really need to accept another losing season and reload with young talent. That means releasing several big names if there is no salary cap. Like Clinton Portis says, these guys didn't win games so what's the risk of starting over? Starting over begins with Portis, who had a poor first half before he was injured. Good running backs are the easiest position to find. Replace Santana Moss. They can't use him properly and his best years are behind him.

Find a new quarterback. Ironically, Campbell might be the best one available, but if the Redskins can't make peace with him then move on to a rookie. The Redskins should keep center Casey Rabach and left guard Derrick Dockery and find three offensive linemen. Use one of the top two picks and hopefully get at least one in free agency.

Defensively, let linebacker Rocky McIntosh and Rogers enter free agency. Replace end Phillip Daniels. Get safety LaRon Landry to commit to spending the offseason in Ashburn or trade him, too.

Meanwhile, owner Dan Snyder must resist signing Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers. Snyder needs to prove he has changed from offseason headline-grabber to building through a youth movement.

Either the Redskins win this offseason or they're losers for years to come.

No more quick fixes. Start building for the future. We need a five year plan not a five month plan. The over 30 crowd needs to go minus a couple of servicable starters like Hunter, Rock, Andre', Fletch, Ethan, and Rabach. Time to let loose of the sentimental favorites and instill some youth as starters and for depth.

Next, expect a 50 percent roster turnover if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached by March 1 -- 40 percent if it is. If there's no CBA, free agency will be weaker while the draft becomes stronger.

Load up on picks and hope Allen and the new coach can spot talent. Right now, the Redskins are missing their third and sixth selections.

from the quote taken from the Rick Snider piece, this won't be easy.

40% -50% could equates to ~25 players. With a weak FA & only 5 draft picks at present, even if we can accumulate a few more picks, there is a hell of a lot of gaps to fill.

It may not be that easy to cut free all of the dead wood when there is not much around to back fill the gaps.

Anyone know what happens with players contracts in the event of a lockout ?

If ever an offseason was made for a smart application of Danny-Boy's willingness to spend, this would be it.

1. Hire a coach. We should actually interview many good candidates. Who knows, maybe we'd actually learn something? In any event, we know this won't happen but Shanny is obviously capable.

2. Don't go big, but go frequent in FA. By this, I mean we should sign as many Rabach and Dockery-type deals as we can. At the time of their deals, each were serviceable players at their position. We should sign three more of them for the OL, and Levi Jones could be one of them (for RT). We should get a LB there too.

3. Consider trading, not cutting, our over priced talent. We might be able to pull this off in an uncapped year. Portis, Moss, Hall and even Cooley could be dealt.

4. All of the above should be done to try to establish a roster with serviceble starters at every position BEFORE the draft. I want the draft to go to BPA, with the first pick being an OL, QB or Suh if he is somehow available.

5. Bring back Campbell...but don't annoint him anything. He can compete. He's an ok fit while we develop another guy. I see no reason to take a step back. Our other alternatives (Kerry Collins?, Charlie Batch?) aren't likely to be very good.

Archived