Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the Skins need to do (offseason)

ddsskk87

Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl?

• Arizona Cardinals
    • Baltimore Ravens
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Denver Broncos
    • Green Bay Packers
    • Houston Texans
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Miami Dolpins
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • New England Patriots
    • New Orleans Saints
    • New York Jets
    • Pittsburgh Steelers
    • San Diego Chargers

The redskins I believe are not in a terrible situation that some may start saying after such a dismal performance on the field. While I have read threads comparing Zorn to Spurrier, we will leave this disappointing season with still the top 5 most talented defenses personnel wise and I believe that the Redskins need to bring in a coach who has the experience to establish order and develop players which I have not seen since....Gibbs 1 and 2....this offseason these key pointers I believe will help the skins unleash their talents for the 2010-2011 season.

1. need an experienced coach like a Shanahan or Gruden, who has years of experience in successful teams and know how to manage a team players, and call plays (offense and defense). The Redskins I don't think are a team filled with personality issues (don't point out AH, and DHall....how do you expect pro bowl caliber players to be satisfied with the season and keep their mouths shut). These coaches will bring in personnel (coaches) that have been successful with them or successful in general

2. Offseason- look to replace the o-line with the best talents out in the free agency market. We need a new center (Rabach is olllllldddddddd), offensive guards (Mike Williams is a joke, and Dockery is mediocre at best), and we obviously need new tackles. Look to drop some deadweight players such as (ARE, Portis, Sellars, the offensive line, todd collins...which would free up cap space)

3. resign Jason Campbell- do you remember last season, when we were 6-2, had an o-line, and JC had more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Jason Campbell was mentioned by everyone as an MVP candidate and his late drive wins against NO, AZ, Phila, Dal convinced me that JC is more than capable of being just a mediocre QB in this league. This year has been unfair to JC with Heyer being malled, Mike Williams being beaten on a regular basis, and having Portis play and talk when he doesen't practice

4. draft- trade our top 5 pick to a team who wants to nab a QB and there are a lot in the league to trade down for a later 1st rounder and a second rounder.....this move would really put the Skins in a position to fill a lot of voids on the Offensive-line, with the 1st rounder draft a good RT to replace Heyer (comparing Heyer RT to Levi Jones LT in regards to needs, we need to fill the voids on the Right side the most)....two second round picks draft CJ Spiller if he is there to bring fresh fast legs, to the Skins, draft the best O-linemen possible through the draft

5. beg Joe Bugel to stay for a year or two and throw a ****ton of money at him because he will work miracles

6. this is last on the list, but work magic to make a blockbuster trade for a number one receiver (Smoss is slowing down and getting old) I believe that Brandon Marshall will be a good target to nab, especially if Shanahan comes to town. The skins need bigger receivers to fill that one spot, which I saw works very well for Norv Turner in SD....despite the fact that the receivers are not your typical big names, they are big which causes match up problems for good defenses like tennessee.

7. have a tough training camp instead of pulling the Portis move which stops development and produces negative egos

Trade or release - Landry, Portis, Moss, Rodgers, Samuels, Randy Thomas

I'm on the fence but I dont believe Cooley is worth his salary and I see Fred being a MUCH better player with more upside.

After they trim the fat they need to only seek quality free agents under 28 years old that dont have excessive salaries and then they must draft well. We are not set up to be a playoff team next year and I hope we learned our lesson. Its time to build a quality team and that takes time, usually.

I agree with everything there but they need to make a real quarterback competition with Campbell. To be honest, I like Campbell and has proved that he can be good when he isnt the only NFL-level player on the field. Screw all the Campbell haters that say he needs the whole All-Pro roster for him to be good and he is too retarded to work with this apparent competent offensive line. All he needs is a line that consistently gives him enough time to scan the field. How is he supposed to look down field when theres 3 linebackers coming free on each play? He isnt Peyton Manning but he isnt terrible and he is possibly the toughest quarterback in the league. There needs to be an open competition at every single position throughout the whole season not just training camp. New coach has no previous relationships to perpetuate mediocre players getting more playing time than they deserve (Portis over Betts when Portis hasnt practiced all week)(Cartwright, Randle El over all competent kick and punt returners)

but who would they bring in for a "real" qb competition? and Manning, Brady, Favre, Rivers, Brees....they have an all pro team and have had one for quite some time....while consistently adding pieces to the puzzle, while the Skins are left picking o-linemen off the practice squad which means JC's success depends on team management, but name me a qb who has succeeded without good team management......maybe if JC gets some time, going through his progressions would make him more confident to look like an all-pro qb...:logo:

Move #1 was taken care of last week when VC was sent packing.

OL is first priority at this point, followed by RB & CB. The QB situation needs to be settled any which way, be it drafting someone, bringing back Jason, or giving Colt a shot. The older, expensive dead weight on the team has got to be dumped as well so that money can be freed up in future years. Samuels, R. Thomas, CP, Hall, ARE, and perhaps Moss as well all have to go. The thing we all have to keep in mind is that Bruce & Shanny have to do what they think is best for the organization and specifically how Shanny wants to mold the team.

QB: JC or a draft pick.

RB: Ganther if he fits Shanny's system, a draft pick, cheap FA, or perhaps even a trade for someone.

WR: set.

TE: set unless Cooley and/or Davis are moved.

LT: draft pick

LG: Dockery

C: FA/draft pick - you can usually find quality C's in the 4th/5th round

RG: Mike Williams/Rhinehart/draft pick/FA

RT: Draft pick/FA

DL: set (move Rak to DE!)

LB: Fletch, Rocky, and I'd like to see Blades get a shot but if not, draft someone.

CB: Between Los, Hall, & Smoot it's possible that two of those three will be gone, so one will have to be drafted or a FA will have to be brought in.

S: Horton & Landry/FA/draft pick

My notion is to start by saying who can be a part of the future?

Current/Future Stars On Offense:

Cooley

Fred Davis

Devin Thomas

JC

Valuable Bridges to the future:

Dockery

Moss

ARE (not PR)

Yoder

Who knows?

Kelly

Gaither

Marko Mitchell

Any other guy on the oline

Do people really think we have a ton of talent on offense?

It's crazy to think about trading Cooley or Moss for picks. We need a ton of new talent across the whole offense.

Defense could be fixed quicker with better coaching. We have a lot of talent on the Dline - Jarmon, Golston, Montgomery, Griffin, Big Al, Carter, and Orakpo (keep him on the Dline fulltime); We need more talent in the LB Corps; We have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield - though it seems that the scheme doesn't work with Landry, Rogers, Hall.

We just need a HC who understands how to coach a professional football team to go with a GM who knows how to run a professional football team.

Trade Campbell and Portis get draft picks and use for o linemen or trade for O linemen. Colt Brennan shoukd be starting QB and draft back-up late rounds. Keep Zorn as QB coach and Buges other than that clean house. Don"t hire Shannahan, go for Bill Cowher and let him pick his def coordinator.:helmet:

Trade Campbell and Portis get draft picks and use for o linemen or trade for O linemen. Colt Brennan shoukd be starting QB and draft back-up late rounds. Keep Zorn as QB coach and Buges other than that clean house. Don"t hire Shannahan, go for Bill Cowher and let him pick his def coordinator.:helmet:

What has Colt Brennan done that makes you think he should be starting?

ALl depends what's available at the time. IF a QB is available, get him in 1st. get some OL in the 2nd and 3rd. tried to get something for candle. it'll be hard since nobody is gonna want him. if we could get a 4th, i'll be happy. if nobody wants him, keep him and make him the back up. no need to let him compete. then we let collins, a drafted QB and colt compete for starting position. if we can get somthing for Cooley, im all for it as i believe that Davis is the future TE and a better one at that.

and of course, new coaching staff. any heah coach would be an upgrade at this point.

if colt brennan is the starter next year, than there is something that I seriously missed, he made significant improvements, or were gonna be 1-115....yes 115....we will beat the raiders

where can i get one of those crystal balls u got? i bet u thought candle was take us to a 11-5 record thi syr? telling u man, u need a new crystal ball.

we all know what candle did. that is not debatable. but how can you knock a Redskins that hasnt even played a single game in the NFL?

I'm not "knocking him". Just saying that it doesn't seem he has done much to show that he "should be starting". He had a good rookie preseason, a crappy second year preseason, and wasn't even able to sniff the #2 spot after coaches had hopes that he had improved to the point where he could take over for TC there. Zorn may be a crappy HC and playcaller, but he does know QBs and he obviously didn't like what he saw from Colt this camp and preseason enough to really consider him for the backup job. I just don't see a reason to think he will suddenly become a great QB once he is "given a chance" and thrown out there. Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.

The most important thing that can happen is that Campbell can release the hostages, both the Redskins and their fans. Honest to god what are some of you looking at when this monument to mediocrity is on the field? The first half against the Giants he looks like a blind, frightened, inmate who is thrown into the yard with his pants down on his first day in prison. After one of the Giants, thankfully, injures him a 39 year old highly immobile QB come in and lights it up.

Start of the second half there JC is stumbling around the prison yard again. What hold does this guy have over the coaching staff? I mean how bad are the picture of Dan and Vinny in the hot tub?

Is there another coaching staff in the NFL that would have brought the fence post back in the second half other than the Redskins?

Could Colt have done better than JC this year? This one is easy to answer. Absolutely!!!

I mean let's face it they could have pulled a beer vendor out of the stands, and he could have matched Campbells record, and I know that Colt could beat any beer vendor.

skins fans are delusional if they think colt is the answer....dont give me tom brady bull****....this drives me crazy, colt was getting knocked around by the 3rd and 4th string defenses in the preseason and throwing into triple coverage like an idiot, i would be frightened if he was facing tuck, or ware, and see him think hes at hawaii and throw the ball up in the air....COLT is not the answer and were not giving him a chance because he hasn't earned it, why not throw in all the random players to start and see what happens...look at the o-line.....what does colt have that campbell doesen't have? accuracy? if were going for accuracy i would rather hand the keys to bradford....despite the fact that we need o-lineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Campbell is a good qb, and skins fans will be going crazy when he succeeds in a good system and decent o-line

What has Colt Brennan done that makes you think he should be starting?

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. But hell I would like to find out what he CAN do. Before we chalk it up as a wasted pick. He was projected to go a lot higher then 6th round. Let's just see if that was a sham or not.

if colt brennan is the starter next year, than there is something that I seriously missed, he made significant improvements, or were gonna be 1-115....yes 115....we will beat the raiders

You sure missed it. If he is the starter then he won that right to do so in a true QB competition.

I'm not "knocking him". Just saying that it doesn't seem he has done much to show that he "should be starting". He had a good rookie preseason, a crappy second year preseason, and wasn't even able to sniff the #2 spot after coaches had hopes that he had improved to the point where he could take over for TC there. Zorn may be a crappy HC and playcaller, but he does know QBs and he obviously didn't like what he saw from Colt this camp and preseason enough to really consider him for the backup job. I just don't see a reason to think he will suddenly become a great QB once he is "given a chance" and thrown out there. Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.

Zorn was not going to change his QB scheme for the reason he doesn't like failure. He is stubborn. If he puts Colt in then he has failed as a QB coach to JC. Also his success was cemented here with JC. And we all know how that is going so far.

If I am not mistaken Colt was playing a little hurt with his other hip bothering him. Which has now been correct. If this pre-season he is still not able to put his stamp on the Skins then we should part from him.

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. But hell I would like to find out what he CAN do. Before we chalk it up as a wasted pick. He was projected to go a lot higher then 6th round. Let's just see if that was a sham or not.

I would be fine with him competing for a starting spot. I don't hate the guy or anything. But I think that it would be pretty rash and risky to get rid of Campbell, who is average but a known commodity, and then just hope that Colt will be good or that TC would be able to last a whole season behind our line, or that a high pick rookie QB would be able to step in behind said line and not end up as the next David Carr.

Zorn was not going to change his QB scheme for the reason he doesn't like failure. He is stubborn. If he puts Colt in then he has failed as a QB coach to JC. Also his success was cemented here with JC. And we all know how that is going so far.

This is both completely speculative and not relevant to what happened. Colt was given a chance to take the #2 spot. The coaches were hopeful he had improved and could take over for TC. That didn't happen and he apparently ended up almost battling for the 3rd string spot. You might say "well, why the hell wasn't he given a chance to compete with Campbell for the #1 spot??". Perhaps because there is usually a reason a guy is 3rd on the depth chart. Maybe the coaches actually know a thing or two about the positions they coach and thought Campbell was the best QB on the roster but that Colt should be given a chance to try and play his way up the depth chart. If Zorn is so stubborn why did he yank Campbell during a game for playing poorly? Do you really think that if Colt was just lighting it up in camp and preseason he wouldn't be given a chance, seeing as how Zorn probably knew this season was essentially make or break for him in DC after the collapse last year?

Tom Brady started out as the 4th string QB in NE after he was drafted. They didn't suddenly throw him in from the bottom of the pile because they hoped he was good. By the next year he had worked his way up the depth chart to the #2 spot. That is how it works. A guy plays well and shows that he is good enough, he works his way up the depth chart, then eventually may get his chance. Colt hasn't been able to work his way up the depth chart, and until he can, he isn't going to get that chance.

You sure missed it. If he is the starter then he won that right to do so in a true QB competition.

If I am not mistaken Colt was playing a little hurt with his other hip bothering him. Which has now been correct. If this pre-season he is still not able to put his stamp on the Skins then we should part from him.

Cooley says he will start in this league, I'll go with that. The other guys like him a lot to. There was never a QB competition Colt never got any meaningful reps, The Coach had to get most of the reps to JC We have yet to see what would happen if he got reps with the First string and got just the little attention that JC has gotten.

Archived