Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions about DirecTV

matty dread

I just moved into a new apt. complex and I'd like to look into getting DirecTV for the NFL package of course.

My questions are, I don't think I have a direct view to the south from my deck, so what other options do I have? I'm on the second floor of a two floor building so I can't put it on the lawn obviously. Do I need permission from my landlord to install something on the roof? I've heard that a dish is allowed by FCC regulations and can't be prevented by your landlord from being installed, is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am about to deal with the same problem. If you are on the second story of a 2 story building you're off to a good start. Here are the important questions.

1.) Find out where the sattelite is in the southern sky. The sattelite is in geosycronous orbit, which means that it stays in exactly the same spot in the sky. Where you aim your dish depends on which state you are in. Go to directv.com and find out where the satelite is in relation to you. (Look under positioning the dish and they'll give you an azimuthal angle. This is the angle from due north that the sattelite is located at.

2.) Buy a 10 compass and figure out exaclty where the sattelite is in the sky.

3.) Figure out if you can see that part of the sky. The apartment will not let you make any kind of permanent installation, but you can put it on a pollfrom your balcony. Figure out if you can see the sky if you put it on some kind of pole coming from your balcony. If it looks at all possible, call the guys at directv and they'll come out for free to see if they can set it up for you.

If you have any other questions, ask, but the people at directv are very helpful.

-DB

Hello,

I just wasted almost $100 trying to get DirecTV hooked up, with no success. Second company came out, I live in an apartment, 3rd floor, but with no view of the southern sky. Last time got stuck with $16 shipping bill, this time it's $20 shipping bill, + approx. $25 to send system back, +$50 for installation guy, as they are charging me for the VISIT, didn't go thru DirecTV, used a service that has a contract with them, trying to save $ (had a 2-month free special). Now I'll have to continue going to sports bars to watch the games, I live in Florida.

A what if- - -can I order a system in the DC area (like Manassas), get it installed and signal "turned on", and then move the entire system to say North Carolina AND still get the DC networks? As long as the bill is still sent to the DC area and everything is paid like it is supposed to be, will it work?

gridiron mike, the answer should be yes, given the way the system works, but if they ever found out about it, you could get in trouble. I imagine they'd just change your programming, but they could fine you as well. Make sure manasas gets DC network though. Someitimes the geography is funny.

-DB

depends on your college. If you have a balcony, then maybe. I went to a small school, but we were allowed to put them on the roof of a two story dorm. If you live in a big highrise dorm it would be more difficult, but if the dorms are small, then almost certainly.

-DB

Originally posted by gridironmike

A what if- - -can I order a system in the DC area (like Manassas), get it installed and signal "turned on", and then move the entire system to say North Carolina AND still get the DC networks? As long as the bill is still sent to the DC area and everything is paid like it is supposed to be, will it work?

DirectTV requires the user to provide a full time telephone connection to the receiver along with the phone number for that line. Doubt it would work because DirectTV would be unable to communicate with the receiver without the DC phone number. If you provide a NC number for a system that's supposed to be located in DC your plan would be exposed.

Originally posted by tex

DirectTV requires the user to provide a full time telephone connection to the receiver along with the phone number for that line. Doubt it would work because DirectTV would be unable to communicate with the receiver without the DC phone number. If you provide a NC number for a system that's supposed to be located in DC your plan would be exposed.

I never keep my phone line hooked up, and I get Sunday Ticket. You only need to phone line to upload info of shows you watched. Now they will cut off your ability to watch movies after a certain amount of time expires without uploading what you have watched, but it wouldn't affect the service as long as you are current on your bill. I would set up with credit card pay, and have one card that you can pay online for free, sent to the address where you would send the DTV bill, that way you don't have to worry about the questions of why your zip code is vastly different from your mailing address.

Your plan should work as long as you can get the channels you want. I get the 2 national feeds (LA & NYC) of all the big 4 TV stations here in GA. If you can't get local channels where you live, you might be eligible to get these as well. I worked with a guy who had a "hacked" system and he would watch local channels from the midwest where he was from, until DirecTV sent out an ECM and killed his cards.

Good luck with your plan.

Peace

I'm an ex-DirecTV guy and I thought it was the biggest hunk of crap I've ever owned. I had no choice due to living in the boonies a time or two...but every time the wind blew, it rained, or the dog farted we lost picture and the damn thing needed adjusting. When i had it they wouldn't give me local channels either, which really chapped my ass. Basically I could watch the Skins for free on the local Fox(throught the "snow") or pay the $200 for the Sunday ticket. I thought the Sunday ticket was a waste because it takes away from watching the Skins game. It sucked!!!!

steve's experience notwithstanding;

I love my directv

I have hauled it all over the state, in the mountains, everywhere, it never fails me.

I install it myself and only hook the phone up once a month (for Tivo and when I want a movie)

I have seen folks in Rv's use a small tripod to hook up the sattelite in camping areas....way cool.

I now have the directv hooked into the computer and have a small window here on the desk top with sportscenter playing in the background,......

I have sampled dish network (sux)....and cable (poor quality signal and no variety in programming)

the only problem I have in the past have had was witht he customer service(they were poorly staffed in the beginning ..much better the last few years)

oh and I get a bunch of new channels(local) for 5.00 a month.

then there is all the digital quality music that I can record quite nicely for CD etc....

As far as signal loss, its true that you'll occasionally lose it but in my experience this is only when you have a heavy downpour in progress. If anyone's having problems with signal loss at other times, they either don't have their dish positioned correctly, have it mounted on an unstable mount, or have a partial obstruction. I've had Directv for 5 years and its great (although I agree, I'd love to get the Wash DC local channels here in NC). I predict at some point that you'll be able to purchase a Redskins season pass similiar to NFL Sunday Ticket for just the Skins games at a much lower cost. As for NFL Sunday Ticket sucking? Can't see that unless you don't like football (its Nirvana for the football-obsessed fan). Only drawback is the cost. Period.

Directv has something called a spot beam and unless you live

about 100 miles away from DC you can't get it. I tried this

already. I just moved to Myrtle Beach (July 4th) ordered Directv

using my old address and installed the dish myself with Tivo!

Tried to get DC channels but couldn't get the signal on 101 sat. transponder 18 or 26 for baltimore (damn spot beam!).

So now I'll only get 3/4 preseason games. Carolina (local SC channel), Ravens (Comcast Sportsnet, Directv still thinks I am in DC!) and Jags (Sunshine network, maybe delayed).

New England games are carried like Channel 4 in DC. Sucks.

Thank God for Sunday ticket. New NFL channel will show all

preseason games next year for every team.

Good luck with your system. I thought it would work here in SC

but it did not. Oh well, at least I can watch the terrible O's down

here. I will miss the Redskin Report on Channel 4 though.

Sounds like you are pretty familiar with the system. This "spot beam" is what I was curious about. I though I would save myself the trouble of ordering Sunday Ticket by getting the DC networks (thus getting all the games AND all the nightly news....complete Redskins coverage without the extra $200 bill). It appears that I am going to be forced to ante up though.

Originally posted by Turd Furgeson

Back to the phone line question...it looks like the phone line isn't really necessary, even if you are getting pay-per-view or Sunday Ticket. Is this true? I'm about to get DirecTV and was trying to determine whether or not I needed to run a phone line in. Anyone?

The installer that put in my system said that DirecTV sends a random signal to your receiver through the phone line to insure that the card is not in use in an unauthorized location. He said that they do this to deter piracy.

Based on what others have said here, especially the bit about the RV usage, makes that sound bogus. I'm going to disconnect the phone cable from the main receiver for a while just to see what happens. The cat could have pawed it loose or something right?

Funny you should bring that up Tex....I happened to notice not long ago that my phone line wasn't connected (and apparently hadn't been for some time)....I never received any kind of complaint or notice from Directv. They may be able to tell if your phone lines not connected, but if so, they're not particularly worried about it....

I love my Directy and I also have TiVo with it. It hardly ever goes out. Last night during those storms I had no problems.

And the phone line doesn't need to be hooked up. Even for PPV. Directv will make a call to your box every now and then for updates and billing issues. I've found that I can order PPV and not pay for it till I get a note on the screen saying call them. I then have to put a phone line to my box and the down load and a few weeks later the bill comes.

Archived