Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article from 2009, Jon Gruden's next fix-it job: himself

Oldskool

For all the Gruden fanboys that still don't get it, read on. This is why this guy is the absolute wrong choice for HC.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article974164.ece

By Gary Shelton, Times Sports Columnist

In Print: Sunday, February 8, 2009

Roadkill, he called them. In the best of times, I am sure, Jon Gruden meant it in the best of all possible ways.

It was Gruden's pet phrase for the recycled players of the NFL, those fallen stars who had been given up on by one team or another. They were the discarded athletes looking for another chance to erase the disappointment on their resumes.

Rich Gannon was one of them, along with Brian Griese. Antonio Bryant was one of them, along with Joey Galloway. Todd Steussie aspired to be one, along with Darrell Russell. Throughout his career, Gruden latched onto such players as if they were old trading cards. Now, Gruden is one of them.

He, too, has been left by the side of the road.

He, too, has to be wondering what is next.

Oh, Gruden will get another shot. Of course he will. Whether you thought Gruden was fired one year too early or two years too late, you understand the way things work in the NFL. Sooner or later, some owner will be impressed by the weight of his resume, the size of his playbook and an uncanny resemblance to his grandson's Chucky Doll, and he will turn his team over to Gruden.

Around here, people will notice. In Tampa Bay — and I suspect Gruden noticed this — fans tend to keep up with their old coaches. Personally, I can't wait for someone to suggest that Raheem Morris is succeeding with Gruden's old players.

For Gruden, however, the questions are different.

What happens next? What, if anything, did the Tampa Bay experience teach Gruden? (Except, perhaps, not to hang around the office on a Friday afternoon.)

This, too, is where Gruden has something in common with the reclamation projects he employed. Like them, he was once a rising star in this league. Like them, he has heard the talk change from his knowledge and his energy to that of his flaws and his underachievement. Like them, he has a little reassessing to do.

That's the hard part, isn't it? It is easy to blame owners or players or the front office or injuries or officials or the weather or the bounce of the ball. Self-evaluation is a little trickier. First thing first, Gruden needs a strong general manager.

I know, I know. By and large, Gruden hates a strong general manager. It makes two men miserable. It drove him crazy when Rich McKay was in the next room, and it drove him crazier when Al Davis — who owned the team — was over his shoulder. Still, those seasons were the best Gruden ever had.

The longer a man coaches, the more power he wants. With Gruden, it should be the opposite. He should insist on the structure. The most consistent franchises in the NFL — the Steelers, the Patriots, the Colts — have a little teamwork in their front office.

Second, Gruden needs to work harder on his relationship with his players.

Perhaps it didn't surprise anyone when Simeon Rice criticized Gruden. Or Warren Sapp. Or Michael Clayton. Or Jeff Garcia. It was strange, however, that players didn't offer any more than lukewarm defense of Gruden. Shouldn't someone be outraged? Hello? Anyone?

It's an odd thing, because when you talk to Gruden, he can be funny and insightful. For some reason, however, not many of Gruden's players warm to him, and for those who do, it doesn't last.

Oh, and stop with the feuds, Jon. Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Clayton, Chris Simms and Garcia had this in common: They were on your side.

Next bit of advice: Gruden told ESPN that Simms was the only young quarterback he had to work with. Nice strategy there. If I were Gruden, I would continue to deny I had even heard of Bruce Gradkowski.

What else? For one thing, you should understand the deal. Yes, you were one of seven teams that have had back-to-back winning seasons. On the other hand, the guy you replaced, Tony Dungy, had five straight seasons where he wasn't below .500. And while it is true, as your defenders have pointed out, that you were replaced by a 32-year-old who has never been a head coach, let's remember that you once replaced Joe Bugel when you were a 35-year-old who had never been a head coach.

Oh, and there is this. Never, ever start a sentence with, "Not to make any excuses, but … " From that point on, you are officially making excuses.

Final bit of advice: Choose wisely. Take one of those cushy studio analyst jobs, though you might want to hurry, because the set of most pregame shows is starting to look like da Vinci's portrait of the The Last Supper.

Pay attention to the Cowboys job. They just might be ripe enough that a burst of energy could push them over the top. Maybe the Chargers job. Whatever happens, do not accept calls from the Bengals or Lions.

And hang in there. Bill Belichick, Marv Levy and Mike Shanahan all reinvented themselves after getting fired.

Next time, maybe it will be better. Next time, maybe the success will last.

Nothing in there made me think Gruden was the "absolute wrong choice" for HC...and I'm nowhere in the vicinity of being a "Gruden fan boy".

Honestly?

Nothing about feuds with players?

Nothing with his issues with QB's?

Nothing about his poor track record in terms of W/L?

Honestly?

Nothing about feuds with players?

Nope, not one bit. Coughlin was loathed, and ask Tiki if he had any type of "feud" with his ex-coach.

Nothing with his issues with QB's?

His "issues with QBs"? Where in the article does it mention any QB issues that should make anyone think Gruden's the absolute wrong choice for HC?

Nothing about his poor track record in terms of W/L?

"Poor track record?"...the article doesn't mention any poor track record in terms of wins and losses...and for the record, he's 95-81 in his career! lol...How exactly is that a "poor track record in terms of W/L"?

Nope, not one bit. Coughlin was loathed, and ask Tiki if he had any type of "feud" with his ex-coach.

One player is one thing.

Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Clayton, Chris Simms, Garcia, Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp is a bit different. That makes Coughlin look like a HR genius.

His "issues with QBs"? Where in the article does it mention any QB issues that should make anyone think Gruden's the absolute wrong choice for HC?

The article might not but if you paid attention at all to Tampa games during his tenure, his obsession with "his QB" and benching the guy that can actually win you games is part of what cost him his job.

"Poor track record?"...the article doesn't mention any poor track record in terms of wins and losses...and for the record, he's 95-81 in his career! lol...How exactly is that a "poor track record in terms of W/L"?

What else? For one thing, you should understand the deal. Yes, you were one of seven teams that have had back-to-back winning seasons. On the other hand, the guy you replaced, Tony Dungy, had five straight seasons where he wasn't below .500.

Also 57 wins 55 losses .509% as Tampa's coach.

retreds don't work.

history has shown, i believe 3 coaches that have won at least one superbowl with a team, have gone to another team and made it back to the super bowl. 0 have won 2 with 2 different teams.

Why everyone wants a retread is beyond me. you really think this time will be different? you realy think you rise above the history?

we need a new coach. a coach who will be here for 10+ years. a coach that wants to make a name for himself, not one who wants money because he's already made a name for himself.

alas - this owner and fan base does not have the patients. we finally got a young coach, who has the respec tof his players, who could spend the next years learning, growing, and developing a team. he could bring in players to match our system. he could learn how to manage games and not throw out time outs.

and we gutted him of his responsibilities. nationally humiliated him, and after starting out 6-2, demanded he be fired when the team didn't make the playoffs after 2 seasons.

this is why it wont matter who comes ehre to coach. until the culture is changed, until people grow patients, we are stuck in a perpetual cycle of new coaches, new systems, and new QB's, all resulting in constant mediocracy.

One player is one thing.

Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Clayton, Chris Simms, Garcia, Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp is a bit different. That makes Coughlin look like a HR genius.

"Feuds" don't concern me. Players quitting on their coach does. No mention or reputation of Gruden's players or teams doing that as far as I know.

The article might not but if you paid attention at all to Tampa games during his tenure, his obsession with "his QB" and benching the guy that can actually win you games is part of what cost him his job.

Well, you asked us to read the article to understand why Gruden was an absolutely terrible choice for our next HC, and nothing in it talked about his QB "issues" being something he needs to work on. If that's your take, then so be it, but that's all it is...your take.

What else? For one thing, you should understand the deal. Yes, you were one of seven teams that have had back-to-back winning seasons. On the other hand, the guy you replaced, Tony Dungy, had five straight seasons where he wasn't below .500.

And how, exactly, does this equate to Gruden having a "poor track record" in terms of wins and losses?...What, that Dungy was a better coach? lol...Well, no ****.

Also 57 wins 55 losses .509% as Tampa's coach.

You said Gruden's "poor track record"...Guess what: Gruden's track record in terms of W/L goes beyond just his tampa years. And the thing about it, the guy has only had three losing seasons in 11 years of coaching yet has had 5 division titles. Again, please explain exactly how that shows Gruden has a "poor track record in terms of W/Ls", poor enough to make him the "absolute wrong choice" as HC...

Archived