Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blow it all up? Really?

Skinsfan4life83

Ok first i will state that i have never started a thread, probably for good reason. The last few weeks we have seen this offense improve dramatically IMO, and the defense has been solid with a much improved pass-rush(FINALLY!) Even with this improvement we are still a 4-9 team, no matter how you cut it, but the record shouldnt be the sole factor to be judged right now. I keep hearing people whine about completely dismantling this team, how everybody needs to be cut or traded, Vinny should go(which i agree with) and Dan should sell the team(Never Happen). Now i agree that one win doesnt fix everything, but this team has shown great improvement and this should be factored into any decisions made this offseason.

If JC is not retained in the Offseason then this team will take a HUGE step backwards, no FA is as good as JC is and no rookie coming out of college will be right away. And it would ruin the chemistry he has with his recievers. JC has the locker room behind him and has stepped up his play in recent weeks(thanks Sherm) I am not against drafting a QB but the oline needs to be addressed first, then RB. Clinton is DONE. The WR's are fine and dont need any change.

The defense needs to be LEFT ALONE. The only changes that would benefit this team would be drafting a true Free Safety, slide LL back to SS, and drafting a LB and maybe some corner depth, but overall this unit is fine

In closing if the FO completely blows this team up then i hope all of you negative fans are ready for another decade of even worse play than we have seen thus far. This team has been missing CONTINUITY for years now. And just when the offense is finding it's stride would be the worst time possible to make a change. Besides, i dont see Vinny or Danny going anywhere so why and the Hell would you want them to start over when it took this long for the team to finally start playing competent football(minus the wins of course). This team has talent at most of the key positions, blowing it up would be rather stupid and in no way constitutes continuity.

Here's the problem with the whole thing the offense had been downright offensive until the Philly game and even then we still lost. Against the Saints, we scored 30 points on an OVERRRATED Defense and still LOST. Finally, we beat a bad team by more than two scores and everyone thinks this team does not need to be blown up. If we beat the Giants and Cowboys by two scores and score 30 points or more in each of those games then I'll eat my crow, but I am not willing to conceed ANYTHING at the moment.

The fact of the matter is simple Zorn, The Sherms, Greg Blache, Jerry Gray and all other coaches will most likely be out Jan 4th. I say good riddance, but nothing will change with Vinny at the helm and we all know that Vinny is going NOWHERE. So sit back, relax, and enjoy either barely making the playoffs or looking dreadful and everything in between.

BTW, as far as the personnel are concerned, Portis will be back, Campbell is gone and Rogers is gone. That you can take to the bank.

My thinking lately is....right now the guys are playing as a team!! No Diva's (Cooley and Portis) and they seem to have each others back....

I am starting to think Cooley and Portis are great players but not so great teammates...not bad guys but overly "look at me" ...

I just think a team that has grown together as these guys have along with the coaching staff just might be worth keeping together...I agree a new system and new QB will be really hard on current players and will it really be better? We need O-line depth and some secondary help...maybe a FB and RB

I have to admit JC and JZ have handled all the adversity w class and courage...no doubt...and sometimes thats what matters most...character and a belief in each other...which is what this team seems to be about right now...minus Cooley and Portis.

Cooley and Portis...trade them both...I like the young lunch pale hungry types...

Here's the problem with the whole thing the offense had been downright offensive until the Philly game and even then we still lost. Against the Saints, we scored 30 points on an OVERRRATED Defense and still LOST. Finally, we beat a bad team by more than two scores and everyone thinks this team does not need to be blown up. If we beat the Giants and Cowboys by two scores and score 30 points or more in each of those games then I'll eat my crow, but I am not willing to conceed ANYTHING at the moment.

The fact of the matter is simple Zorn, The Sherms, Greg Blache, Jerry Gray and all other coaches will most likely be out Jan 4th. I say good riddance, but nothing will change with Vinny at the helm and we all know that Vinny is going NOWHERE. So sit back, relax, and enjoy either barely making the playoffs or looking dreadful and everything in between.

BTW, as far as the personnel are concerned, Portis will be back, Campbell is gone and Rogers is gone. That you can take to the bank.

The team never needed to be BLOWN up in the first place:doh: The offense is finally catching on, let's get a new OC right away! we cant let them get used to a system:doh: And why in God's name would you blow up this defense?

Sounds like continuity for continuity sake. The constant is Vinny, and unfortunately most recently another poor head coach hire. I agree on the Jason part to a degree though, the team would most like regress with a rookie with the way things are and there won't be a better FA.

If JC is not retained in the Offseason then this team will take a HUGE step backwards, no FA is as good as JC is and no rookie coming out of college will be right away. And it would ruin the chemistry he has with his recievers. JC has the locker room behind him and has stepped up his play in recent weeks(thanks Sherm) I am not against drafting a QB but the oline needs to be addressed first, then RB. Clinton is DONE. The WR's are fine and dont need any change.

The defense needs to be LEFT ALONE. The only changes that would benefit this team would be drafting a true Free Safety, slide LL back to SS, and drafting a LB and maybe some corner depth, but overall this unit is fine

Most free agent QB's will also be cheaper than JC. We're not looking for a great replacement quite yet (unless we draft one), we're looking for a cheap, serviceable option so we can fill other holes.

Who cares if he's stepped up in the past couple of weeks? All the pressure is off now. The season is over. He can't consistently get the job done under pressure. This team always starts playing better once they've already played themselves out of contention.

The running back position does not need to be addressed before the QB position. QB is more important overall and a committee of Betts, Ganther and Cartwright would be serviceable for a year.

In a perfect world the defense wouldn't need to be touched. Nobody would be aging and nobody would have contract issues. However, our best trade chips are on defense. In order to get good, young talent you must trade away talent.

This team has talent at most of the key positions, blowing it up would be rather stupid and in no way constitutes continuity

Talent? I'll give you the defense. But on offense? Really?

Let's take a look at some of our starters:

Portis, Rabach, BMW, Heyer, Randle El

Also, a lot of our talent is past its prime and/or can't stay healthy (Samuels, Thomas, Moss).

In closing if the FO completely blows this team up then i hope all of you negative fans are ready for another decade of even worse play than we have seen thus far.

Does it get much worse than 80-93? With a real GM assembling a new team we would be a competitor in 2-3 years, not a team that's missed the playoffs 8 times in the last 11 years.

Besides, i dont see Vinny or Danny going anywhere so why and the Hell would you want them to start over when it took this long for the team to finally start playing competent football(minus the wins of course). This team has talent at most of the key positions, blowing it up would be rather stupid and in no way constitutes continuity

I don't want $nyder or Vinny to start over. I want a real GM to start over.

This team has mediocre talent, and there's no reason to stabilize the current structure of this team. We've played the past three games competitively, YAY!

Since when do we settle for competent football?

I wouldn't say blow it up. But I would definitely try to get some picks for some of our vets now that the youth is playing well. We could trade cooley portis and moss for 2010 picks, or youngish offensive linemen. Give Campbell more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, and I guaruntee you Davis and Thomas are more than servicible replacemnts for cooley and moss. Just think how many picks we could get for Cooley. But ultimately the coaching staff probably does need to be blown up.

My dream 2010 offseason:

Fire Vinny and all coaching staff

Hire GM

Let GM hire staff

Let GM trade vets for offensive linemen or draft picks

Let GM run the draft

Keep Campbell, Thomas, Kelly, Ganther, Davis, Mitchell, use picks to replace traded vets and draft O-linemen. Keep defense relatively the same.

that is correct burn it down to the ground

no more being medicore, being average or anything else

be once again a long time ago sigh an playoff superbowl contending francshise

Not the state the team and fans are in now

after reading enough posts this week, plenty of people are content with whats going on in the big picture. sans from replacing a coach or vinny, most people think were on to something.

and thats mind boggling.

I don't think this is necessarily what you re talking bout, but some kind of rebuild in an uncapped year is a necessity.

If it's an uncapped year, some "blowing it up" has to be done. Whether you believe this team is getting close to contending or not, it would be stupid not to take advantage of the free pass that an uncapped year would provide. The 4 players who are the most obvious are Portis, Samuels, Thomas and Randle El. In 2011, those guys would cost just over 24 mil in cap space combined. If you hold onto all of them for one more year and then release them, the dead cap they would cost would be right around 27 mil combined. Again, an uncapped year gives you a free pass to get rid of them with no cap consequences. That's beyond a no-brainer for a semi-competent FO.

I'm torn on this one. Part of me says, hey, the offense is finally clicking and JC is finally grasping the WCO, and as he said today, the game is "starting to slow down" for him and he can see the field. Stay the course, keep the coaching staff intact for one more year.

Another part of me thinks, who are we kidding? Do we really have egos so big that we believe we're really only a puzzle piece or two away from contending? We are 4-9 and a bad team. We can't keep chasing the idea that we're only a couple players away.

after reading enough posts this week, plenty of people are content with whats going on in the big picture. sans from replacing a coach or vinny, most people think were on to something.

and thats mind boggling.

i agree and i been debating about doing a thread about it

hanging tough with the saints is not good enough

holding dallass to seven points is not good enough

beating the broncos not good enough

beating a bottom eight team like the radiers when the skins are a bottom eight team as well is not good enough.

i strongly suspect the years of being medicore and average has affected the fansbase and now some are content to wash rinse and repeat imo

I think there's 0% chance the team is "blown up." Either we keep everything the same (same coaching staff) or we'll bring in a WCO head coach (Shanahan) and keep most of the roster intact, since we have lots of talented players. I think that's the true choice that Snyder faces.

I want him to upgrade at GM, and then give the new GM significant input into what to do, coaching-wise.

blowing it all up and starting all over again would be proof that Dan and Vinny don't have a clue on what they're doing...

a real football guy would have a plan and would stick with it....

but here we are...6 head coaches...and who knows how many starting quarterbacks...(is it over 12 yet?)

that's the hallmark of a management just throwing darts and hoping to get lucky...

while I have never been a Campbell fan...I do see alot of good things lately...and he would defintely play better than anyone else we brought in...

give this team another year together with an upgraded OL and a new stud RB....then see what happens...

who knows...we could have an explosive offense in another year...

but starting over will mean another loser year in which even more fans will call it quits....and could even lead to it becoming dangerous for Danny to show his face around town.

Yep. Really. Blow it up.

A win against 2 teams whose QB's were tearing it up until they went out. Orton stays in and the Broncos would have stomped us. We probably would have beat the Raiders, but Gradkowski had 153 yards before half.

This team gives up big plays. It's getting old on the line. The secondary is swiss cheese. Blow it up.

What, we only win 3 games next year if we do?

I don't think this is necessarily what you re talking bout, but some kind of rebuild in an uncapped year is a necessity.

If it's an uncapped year, some "blowing it up" has to be done. Whether you believe this team is getting close to contending or not, it would be stupid not to take advantage of the free pass that an uncapped year would provide. The 4 players who are the most obvious are Portis, Samuels, Thomas and Randle El. In 2011, those guys would cost just over 24 mil in cap space combined. If you hold onto all of them for one more year and then release them, the dead cap they would cost would be right around 27 mil combined. Again, an uncapped year gives you a free pass to get rid of them with no cap consequences. That's beyond a no-brainer for a semi-competent FO.

+1

This is what i think of when i think of blowing it up .. no one is talking about signing an entire roster off the street.And we don't need to go Tampa Bay style either because we have enough solid young players to build around.But weh ave to clear the books so to speak a little. This is our get-out-of-jail free card. We are going to get a chance to look at how we did business over the past ten years and the results. And like any decent business should be making the appropriate changes needed to ensure it doesnt happen again. Over 4 mill a year tied up in a slot reciever , that is 2 quality back up o-line men maybe even a starter.

We may even be able to convince a few of our free agents to come back on much cheaper deals seeing as they will still receive the dead money left on the their contract.(Correct me if i'm wrong on this point.) BUt hjonestly many of the contenders for release need released for bad play more than just being over-paid.

Also does releasing players early from contracts void your rights to receive compensatory picks when they sign elsewhere? jw because if we have a fire sale on vet players this off-season it would be nice to pick up a few picks to refill needs.

Blowing it up implies jettisoning just about everyone and keeping over a few holdovers to rebuild, like what Tampa did.

So, blow it up would imply:

Releasing Fletch

Releasing Moss

Releasing Al

Releasing Rogers

Releasing Sellers

Releasing Yoder

Releasing Cooley

Just to name a few.

That's absolutely right. Some people here seem to think blowing it up means releasing all 53 players on the roster. I see it more as trimming dead weight. I don't think we should release all those players, but I don't see the harm in releasing a few guys with big salaries that are way past their primes (Portis, Randle El, Griffin, Moss). As much as I love these guys, we aren't going to win a super bowl with them and that's all that really matters when it comes to running a franchise.

YES blow it up, we have played better lately BUT that dont mean squat. Does it really mean we turned the corner and the FO should stay and Zorn should stay? SOMETIMES you need to take a step back to go forward two..... WE keep trying to put bandaids on year after year to win NOW. We arent talented enough to win NOW. I said 6-10 at beginning of the year, we'll see how my predictions ends up.

I would have to say no to blowing up the team but some of these fans can be traded or released for say a cold beer a turkey sandwich or 5 ciggarettes hey im not picky make me an offer and ill trade off a lot of the fans ive seen posting on this board.

As ive said in a lot of other blow it up threads do you really want to wait 6-10 years for another miracle wild card finish. if the answer is no then keep things rolling for one more year if you can wait that long please report to redskin park for immeadite trading to the browns, lions and rams for fans of that team.

Archived