Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't We Throw Downfield More? (MET)

jileib

-God dude take a step back.. He got you, it was a joke, take a deep breath throw some sarcasm back it him.. Calling a bunch of people douche bags because they disagree with you is beyond childish, as is commenting on someone style, I mean seriously who gives a **** what someone wears..

Have you ever seen SoCal post to anyone that doesn't hate Jason Campbell with a fiery passion?

What ST said was not anything.

-Ya I have, plenty of times.. I haven't seen him call them all douchebags

You must really dislike the word douchebag, then.

Me, I'd rather be called a douchebag than have someone tell me I don't know how to read and should go back to elementary school. That's happened. Sigh.

Let's not throw off the thread any further, though.

Me, I'd rather be called a douchebag than have someone tell me I don't know how to read and should go back to elementary school. That's happened. Sigh.

But after the initial embarrassment, going back ended up being a positive right?

We haven't had an effective and consistent downfield passing game since Norv Turner. I think a big part of the problem is matching systems with personnel. Even under Gibbs 2.0, we discovered that we had an offensive line that preferred to run block over pass protect — so we ran a lot. We also didn't have many big receivers to target downfield. We just had Moss, who is/was fast. But if you took him away with coverage, bye-bye downfield passing.

Now we don't have a line to pass protect or a QB to get the ball accurately downfield. We also have a coach running a system that isn't based on lots of deep passes, although to be honest I don't think we're really running a true WCO right now. The irony is, we could have some downfield targets with the young receivers. But we may never know.

We have a stat padding coward behind center.

Simple as that.

Coward? :doh: You should look that word up. He may not be even a good QB at this point, but a coward he is not.

I have a hard time believing you are any older then 16. You act like a complete ass every chance you get. Your signature alone is proof of that.

Yes, it sucks, considering that stretching the field several times a game helps get those 8 guys out of the box for running situations. Especially since they really don't seem to like doing play-action...AT ALL.

I agree that we use less play-action now but alot of our big plays this year and last year have come from I-form play-action.

This year:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d81321ccb/Santana-Moss-59-yard-TD-catch

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d812f1582/Santana-Moss-TD-catch

Last year:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...vs-Browns-2008

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...s-Cowboys-2008

But since the OL declined the and JC got hit in the back during a play-action a few games ago we've used less play-action.

Play-action requires pass-protection and while their are some quick 3 or 5 step drop mini-playaction passes but most full play-action passes are 7 step drops and we simply don't have the pass protection for that.

There's an article in Bubba's news section where the author says we haven't even used a 7 step drop in 3 weeks.

Coward? :doh: You should look that word up. He may not be even a good QB at this point, but a coward he is not.

I have a hard time believing you are any older then 16. You act like a complete ass every chance you get. Your signature alone is proof of that.

You were actually the inspiration for the signature. You remember the thread don't you?

The last page of this one:

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=286777&page=7

You were actually the inspiration for the signature. You remember the thread don't you?

The last page of this one:

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=286777&page=7

Yeah. You're real mature. :rolleyes: And I see that nothing has changed either. :thumbsup: Keep it up, women dig it.

Like I said, I have a hard time believing you are any older than 16. I have yet to see you respond to anything without your childish attitude. And as I said, your signature is proof of that.

-Oh how I love these posts.. The high and mighty post, where you attempt to get in the final words and then say "lets not throw the thread off any further." If that was your actual intent, then that's all you should have said, instead you added your final comments as I will mine, before we derail this thread anymore

-I couldn't care less if someone calls me a douchebag.. But there's a difference in name calling, and showing frustration with another member who misreads your posts.. One breaks a rule, one doesn't

-As I said in my op, STB21 is an extremely highly regarded member and for good reason, he has shown time and again a profound understanding of both the sport of football and more specifically Redskins football.. I hate to see him acting out of character due to the frustrations the on going QB debate have caused. Socal took a jab at him, it was funny, it wasn't to be taken seriously, he didn't need to start calling many members who weren't even included in the debate douchebags, and I was shocked to see it from him.. As I said, from the posts I have read, that is extremely out of character for him.

Cow Terd talked about this subject the other day. He should stats showing the top 5 quarterbacks in the league had the least amount of completions of 20 yrds or more, except Drew Brees. Dink and dunk is winning games now.

No, that can't be, because only Campbell does it to pad his stats, which makes him a coward. Didn't you know?

No, that can't be, because only Campbell does it to pad his stats, which makes him a coward. Didn't you know?

-What a clever straw-man argument..

-And just because Cowherd says it, it doesn't make it true.. Looking over this meaningless statistic, it appears Cowherd needs to have his eyes checked

Top 5 QB's (by completions of 20+)

Brees

Romo sits to pee

Manning

Manning

Rivers

Bottom 5 (Most of the people have already been benched)

Collins

Russell

Quinn

Hill

Derek Anderson

-I didn't do the bottom 5 in order, but it was those 5 guys... I don't see how you could look at these statistics, and think its the top-tier QB who are dinking and dunking?

I don't think teams would blitz us less if Rodgers was our QB.

First of all teams don't even have to blitz to create pressure.

Our OL has broken down on its own against 3 and 4 man rushes.

Team blitz us because they know that our OL cannot adjust.

They know that we have a differnt OL starting every week and they know there is bound to be a few breakdowns in protection.

They blitz to force us into a short passing game and then they sit on the short routes.

I suspect you don't really think our OL is bad, you just pay it lip service because everyone says its bad and you look silly denying it.

But, i suspect you really don't think our OL is bad.

just from watching that dallas game closer than most, most of the time when they had 4 guys coming at the line, it held up fine. when 5 and 6 guys were coming at the line, campbell was under pressure. the eagles in both games were not just sending 4 guys most of the time, a LB was coming on most plays and sometimes 2 linebackers. im pretty sure both teams were blitzing nickle corners at times as well.

the point is, teams dont respect campbell, so they blitz him a lot. a guy like rodgers that has proven blitzing can be costly against him, would torch a lot of the looks that campbell gets thrown at him. if he saw a blitz coming, he'd audible to a quick slant or a screen pass or something else. campbell is too slow to anticipate this kinda stuff so he gets killed or has to dodge bullets back there.

the only thing that would help campbell at this point is designed roll outs or moving the pocket, and frankly the only reason i can think of as to why were not running them is that zorn doesnt trust campbell having to move around and throw because he already has accuracy problems, and having him rollout and have to set himself again would take even longer than hes already taking.

but if you think putting a top flight QB behind this line wouldnt change the defensive looks that were getting, youre completely nuts. im in no way saying that a top flight QB would look amazing behind this line, but surely a much better QB would garner different defensive looks than what campbell gets thrown at him.

-And just because Cowherd says it, it doesn't make it true.. Looking over this meaningless statistic, it appears Cowherd needs to have his eyes checked

Top 5 QB's (by completions of 20+)

Brees

Romo sits to pee

Manning

Manning

Rivers

Bottom 5 (Most of the people have already been benched)

Collins

Russell

Quinn

Hill

Derek Anderson

-I didn't do the bottom 5 in order, but it was those 5 guys... I don't see how you could look at these statistics, and think its the top-tier QB who are dinking and dunking?

i find it ironic that a guy whos user name is cowboyzsuckazz is using a statistic (thats blatantly wrong to begin with) thats being touted by not only a massive cowboys fan, but also a complete moron in cowherd.

cowherd is bar none the worst radio personality in national sports radio. this stupid comment of his further cements his status as a blithering idiot.

IMO, JC is playing scared, and Zorn is/was scared to call pass plays downfield more.

Looking at his downfield passes, which in the beginning were mostly rope throws with no arch, and were either picked off or batted away; the few that he does throw now have more of an arch most of the time, but the accuracy is not there. Balls are being overrthrown or drifting out of bounds, and I think Zorn sees this and doesn't want to waste the down trying passes from JC that will be very low percentage ones.

The game against the Eagles, 1 play in particular showed JC from the snap looking to the right and NEVER looking any other direction. This is a continuous problem, especially when the commentators blurt out of a wide open receiver on the other side of the field.

JC just does not have the mechanics to be a good qb, period! Dispute all you want, but facts are facts; he is not progressing in his skills, at times he will get into a flow, but if anything it only lasts 1 drive, if that long, and he is afraid to make a mistake by throwing downfield for fear of it being picked, so he looks to a quicker and closer pass play that he feels more comfortable with, and EVERY DC in the league knows it.

Wait until the Aints show up sunday; GW will really make JC look like crap, and all the blame will be put once again on the o-line, which is a load of crap; Brees hits receivers 30-40 yds downfield IN STRIDE; something JC cannot do or come close to doing.

I need a drink...

He wasn't citing QBs with the most completions over 20 yrds. He was citing the top QBs by wins, best teams, etc. The top ones had the least amount of completions of 20+.

-What top tier Qb's by wins, best teams etc, have the fewest # of completions of 20+ yards I am having trouble finding them. The two best QB's this year Brees and Manning are ranked in the top 5...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_20PLUS_YARDS_EACH&d-447263-n=1

EDIT: ADDED~

i find it ironic that a guy whos user name is cowboyzsuckazz is using a statistic (thats blatantly wrong to begin with) thats being touted by not only a massive cowboys fan, but also a complete moron in cowherd.

Sarcasm is lost on you, huh?

For real, I can't stand anything that Cow Turd says & couldn't care less what HIS stats show. Cow Turd seemingly knows very little about organized sports & personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him & Skip Bayless in a fight to the death. The winner gets shot 21 times.

-Oh how I love these posts.. The high and mighty post, where you attempt to get in the final words and then say "lets not throw the thread off any further." If that was your actual intent, then that's all you should have said, instead you added your final comments as I will mine, before we derail this thread anymore

Wasn't trying to be high and mighty at all. It was pretty much me who started the derail of this thread in the first place with SoCal so I felt like I wanted to stop that. I apologize if it made you think I was dismissing any future input you may have had! Not my intention at all.

I do see your point with the rest of the post, though.

the point is, teams dont respect campbell, so they blitz him a lot. a guy like rodgers that has proven blitzing can be costly against him, would torch a lot of the looks that campbell gets thrown at him. if he saw a blitz coming, he'd audible to a quick slant or a screen pass or something else.

Your point is that teams blitz because they don't repect Campbell.

Respect has nothing to with it.

When teams blitz Tom Brady or any other QB is it because they don't respect him?

My point is that teams blitz in an effort to breakdown the OL protection schemes and get pressure on the QB regardless of who is playing QB.

frankly the only reason i can think of as to why were not running them is that zorn doesnt trust campbell having to move around and throw because he already has accuracy problems, and having him rollout and have to set himself again would take even longer than hes already taking.

Well you also thought the only reason we didn't pass more in the RZ was because Zorn didn't trust Campbell.

I think that was proved wrong by the Zorn miked up clip.

And the up-tick in RZ scoring when Sheman Lewis took over playcalling.

(Zorn just wasn't a good playcaller)

but if you think putting a top flight QB behind this line wouldnt change the defensive looks that were getting, youre completely nuts

You didn't say change the defensive looks, you said

we'd see a drastic reduction in how much teams blitz us

And the answer remains the same, no i don't think there would be a drasitc reduction in how much teams would blitz.

;) And I'm am nuts, the level is debatable.

JC is alot of stuff. Innacurate. Takes too long to make a decision. Slow release. Holds the ball too low. Has trouble reading defenses. Cant Slide. But he is NOT a coward! Any man who is willing to play QB in the NFL behind this line deserves a medal.

Amen to that!

Archived