Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN Blog: Roy Williams responds to Laron Landry.

TEK2000

Its a shame the expectations of him was to take over for a player like ST.....cause no one should ever have that put on em....he was that "rare" of a player, but he not only hasn't come CLOSE to that level yet, he just sucks!

The people who expected Landry to be Sean Taylor clearly didn't understand or appreciate just how good Taylor actually was. It seems to me, however, that most people have been saying "it's not fair to compare him to Taylor" since day one and there really aren't many who ever actually held him to that standard. I always figured that if Landry worked really hard he could be a Brian Dawkins type of player.

So far I'm wishing we hadn't let Ryan Clark go.

I honestly think if we never had Sean Taylor (which I really don't want to think about), I doubt most of us would be saying he's "terrible".

You would be wrong. Landry's tackling has been at a level that is absolutely unacceptable for any NFL starter and it is the ONLY thing he is doing that earns him recognition. Doing your job and not being noticed for it is great compared to being noticed for failing to do your job time and time again.

As much disrespect as we give Landry, he has given this team some good moments in critical times. I remember he stopped the Eagles short of the end zone twice (once in 07 and once in 08) to win us th game. And in the 07 PLAYOFFS (which Roy Williams has never been in) he showed his playmaking abilities with the two picks he had vs. the Seahawks...and yes we lost.

Look at it this way, Landry was brought in the create a tandem with Sean Taylor that had never been nor ever will be matched and they got off to a damn good start. Roy Williams was always expected to be a bonafide no. 1 receiver, and he never has been, whether he was with Dallas or Detroit. Sure you can say both players haven't lived up to expectations, but the Skins didnt give up the farm for Landry.

Right now the Skins are just in a bad spot and it's tough for them to talk trash and hold ground. But who honestly believes that Wade Philips, Tony Romo sits to pee and Roy Williams will ever lead that Dallas team anywhere in the playoffs??? I seriously hope they keep that Tandem together for years, its fool's gold.

Look at it this way, Landry was brought in the create a tandem with Sean Taylor that had never been nor ever will be matched and they got off to a damn good start. Roy Williams was always expected to be a bonafide no. 1 receiver, and he never has been, whether he was with Dallas or Detroit.

The way I see it, they're almost perfect analogues for each other if you ignore how they were acquired.

Landry and Williams have each had one good year in the league and a bunch of mediocre years. Landry looked pretty damn good for a rookie in 2007 and Williams had 1300 yards and 7 TDs on 82 receptions in 2006. Landry can no longer tackle and Williams can no longer catch.

Sure you can say both players haven't lived up to expectations, but the Skins didnt give up the farm for Landry.

This is true. Although the value of the picks the Cowboys gave away is probably less than the value of the pick we spent for LaRon.

Kapolani, you bring so much to this board...this was a well thought out, articulate post. The same thing you said a couple posts up. Well done, sir.

:rolleyes:

Well, I seem to remember how high this board was on Landry.

I always knew he was RW31 redux.

Plus, I find it extremely funny when players talk after a loss.

Fail.

Now that said, if I were a Cowboy fan, I would be IRATE at Roy Williams' ****ty play thus far. How much did the cowboys give up for that clown? Lol- you know its bad when the Lions rip you off in a trade.

You know whats funny? On this board it seems like Cowboys fans are always accused of propping up Tony Romo sits to pee and Roy Williams. However, if you visit any Cowboys fan board especially Cowboyszone, you will find that Roy Williams and Romo sits to pee are the most ripped and criticized players on the team. There is a few here and there that are extreme homers and will defend to the end, but most cowboys fans readily admit that Williams has sucked since he got here and Romo sits to pee is maddeningly inconsistent. Its no different on this board or any teams' board about their own players.

You know whats funny? On this board it seems like Cowboys fans are always accused of propping up Tony Romo sits to pee and Roy Williams. However, if you visit any Cowboys fan board especially Cowboyszone, you will find that Roy Williams and Romo sits to pee are the most ripped and criticized players on the team. There is a few here and there that are extreme homers and will defend to the end, but most cowboys fans readily admit that Williams has sucked since he got here and Romo sits to pee is maddeningly inconsistent. Its no different on this board or any teams' board about their own players.

i am the closest one on this board "sticking" up for RW11, cause of my love for Longhorn players...Im in the tank for him, yet even i have said here that he is a huge disappointment to say the least.....who on this board.....which Dallas fan on this board is giving props to RW11? There is NO excuse for him and his play, i think the underlying factor in this whole thread is how much LL30 sux...that dude is straight garbage....and that does NOT take away the fact that RW11 is garbage too....two players that suck really bad at their position, but high draft picks with big mouths.....

and like i said, I love RW11....and even i have soured greatly on the dude....

EDIT and Romo sits to pee's "inconstant" play is putting him on pace for his best year ever as far as turning the ball over......which it was reported right here in the ATN, that he would threaten the single season record for INT's...someone find that thread, it would be fun see!!!!

So yes, I would love to see Romo sits to pee's rating up and his TD's up......no doubt about it, but with what he has.....a very bad RW11 and a FA Miles Austin, id say he is doing pretty damn good considering.....

The people who expected Landry to be Sean Taylor clearly didn't understand or appreciate just how good Taylor actually was. It seems to me, however, that most people have been saying "it's not fair to compare him to Taylor" since day one and there really aren't many who ever actually held him to that standard. I always figured that if Landry worked really hard he could be a Brian Dawkins type of player.

So far I'm wishing we hadn't let Ryan Clark go.

You would be wrong. Landry's tackling has been at a level that is absolutely unacceptable for any NFL starter and it is the ONLY thing he is doing that earns him recognition. Doing your job and not being noticed for it is great compared to being noticed for failing to do your job time and time again.

As much as I loved Sean T. he wasn't even on Dawkins level yet.

He was finally living up to expectations himself before his passing.

True.

He was a very dynamic player though.

I still think there were several ahead of him if we're talking about best of all time.

Explain the alligator arms over the middle, Roy. Landry may have been running his mouth off, but he did not lie about that.

You act like WR's don't do these types of things.

Hell I remember Jerry Rice keeping those ribs protected at times.

These guys don't want to get lit up.

But, for a horrible player to run his mouth after a loss. That's pretty sad.

Truth be told, Landry would probably have taken the wrong angle when trying to lay out RW if he would have caught some of those, and missed completely.

You act like WR's don't do these types of things.

Hell I remember Jerry Rice keeping those ribs protected at times.

These guys don't want to get lit up.

But, for a horrible player to run his mouth after a loss. That's pretty sad.

Truth be told, Landry would probably have taken the wrong angle when trying to lay out RW if he would have caught some of those, and missed completely.

Does anyone else get the feeling our friend Kapolani here doesn't believe half the crap he posts?

Does anyone else get the feeling our friend Kapolani here doesn't believe half the crap he posts?

Wait. So you're saying that NO WR has ever been a little hesitant in catching a ball when he's going across the middle.

You're saying RW is the only WR ever to do that?

If that's what you're saying you're not very bright.

Wait. So you're saying that NO WR has ever been a little hesitant in catching a ball when he's going across the middle.

You're saying RW is the only WR ever to do that?

If that's what you're saying you're not very bright.

No, you're right, Terri Glenn did too...

Well, I was talking about potential and in that regard I never really bothered to compare Taylor to other safeties in the league at the time. It was pretty much impossible to determine where his ceiling actually was.

I will say, though, that while you certainly can make the case that ST never reached the level of Brian Dawkins... it really would only have been a matter of time. ST's numbers in 3.5 seasons were comparable to Dawkins' through his first 4 seasons and were superior to Polamalu's first 4.

Archived