Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Rich Gannon tells Daniel Snyder he must fire Vinny Cerrato for Redskins

HigSkin

Interesting article about our two headed monster (Vinny and Zorn).

Two things jump out to me. First, Gannon really doesn't say "Snyder must fire Vinny" although we all hope that every football guy he talks to tells him that. Second, the fact that it's obvious in practice how "vanilla" the offense really is. I doubt the practice got scaled-back because of media guys but still frustrating.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-to-improve/1

Click link for entire article

Rich Gannon tells Daniel Snyder he must fire Vinny Cerrato for Redskins to improve

Former NFL QB Rich Gannon said this week he gave Redskins owner Daniel Snyder frank advice on Sunday that included a recommendation he fire personnel chief Vinny Cerrato.

Gannon, in an appearance on Sirius NFL Radio, said he told Snyder his dysfunctional team is as bad as the perpetually-losing Raiders.

"I could just get the sense that he was very uneasy, he was not happy with his football team, certainly not happy with the offense," Gannon told Sirius of his meeting with Snyder before the Redskins lost to the Chiefs on Sunday.

Gannon called the game as an analyst on CBS. Of Cerrato, he said:

"Cerrato has not done a very good job there. They have not gotten enough of a return on their investment. I really question their philosophy on how you build your team. They spent a lot of money on high-priced veteran free agents. They've made some mistakes, some costly mistakes, and they haven't done a good enough job with the draft and player development. That's really where you build your football team. So this is a team that's really in shambles right now. I told the owner -- this is amazing, I'm sitting there talking to Dan Snyder -- I said, 'You need to have leadership, structure and discipline at EVERY level of your organization. And I think that clearly right now they have some issues."

Gannon is the second person to speak of having an audience with Snyder on Sunday. ESPN's Tony Kornheiser said he gave advice to the Redskins owner and sat in the owner's box as fans chanted "sell the team" during the game.

Gannon, a four-time Pro Bowler who led the Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII, said head coach Jim Zorn, who was stripped of play-calling duties after the loss to the Chiefs, is "in over his head."

"When I went out and watched practice on Friday, I have to tell you, I wasn't impressed," Gannon said. "You know, when I watched the play selection, I watched their substitution pattern and I watched their scheme, right now, to me, it's very vanilla, it's very scaled-back." -- Sean Leahy

Well no one can say that he's not getting the message delivered, the only questions left are, is he listening and will he do anything about it?

How badly do you really want to win Danny? Bad enough to step back and let those who know what they are doing take over? Honestly Dan, I'd love for you to come to that realization and I'd love nothing more than for Roger Goodell to present you sir with that Lombardi Trophy, but in order to do that you need to change and you need to do the hard things that allow our team to get better.

Gannon really doesn't say "Snyder must fire Vinny"

It doesn't say that in the article, but that doesn't mean it wasn't said to Dan.

There was an open question of who the next former Skin would be to criticize the team. People were saying Green, I was thinking Clark or Mann or maybe Manley. But who expected Gannon?

I doubt the mild mannered Green comes out with anything but Gannon's comments during the game were pretty direct.

"Cerrato has not done a very good job there. They have not gotten enough of a return on their investment. I really question their philosophy on how you build your team. They spent a lot of money on high-priced veteran free agents. They've made some mistakes, some costly mistakes, and they haven't done a good enough job with the draft and player development. That's really where you build your football team. So this is a team that's really in shambles right now. I told the owner -- this is amazing, I'm sitting there talking to Dan Snyder -- I said, 'You need to have leadership, structure and discipline at EVERY level of your organization. And I think that clearly right now they have some issues."

[/color][/i] -- Sean Leahy

I mean, this is exactly how I feel. But the answer isn't just in firing Cerrato, its in changing the philosophy of the front office. Danny's gotta learn to be happy with the toys he's already got, or if he wants a new toy, gotta learn to utilize the draft instead of steadily going for the highest priced one on the market.

I doubt the mild mannered Green comes out with anything but Gannon's comments during the game were pretty direct.

True, but Green's a man of great respect from this city. And he's seen this franchise in its best and worse states (as of recently). He was pretty talkative in the media this offseason bragging on Tyron's development.

I was really thinking Mann. I mean, he really went into the Redskins a few years ago about how we don't draft D-Linemen. He was talking about how nobody knows any moves other than the speed rush and how we're not developing a D-Line. Maybe he's not as upset about the line now, but I'm sure he's pretty upset.

True, but Green's a man of great respect from this city. And he's seen this franchise in its best and worse states (as of recently). He was pretty talkative in the media this offseason bragging on Tyron's development.

I was really thinking Mann. I mean, he really went into the Redskins a few years ago about how we don't draft D-Linemen. He was talking about how nobody knows any moves other than the speed rush and how we're not developing a D-Line. Maybe he's not as upset about the line now, but I'm sure he's pretty upset.

I want Gruden to give him an ear-full this week about this offense!:)

Archived