Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Zorn's insecurity/ego affect the offensive staff he assembled?

skinnyfan57

Based on the 4 games, what grade would you give the Redskins?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the 4 games, what grade would you give the Redskins?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My first thread and hoping not to get banned or merged into the mess of the Sherm Lewis thread. Only the Lewis move by the front office made me want to post this thread. I have been thinking since Zorn arrived that the offensive staff he assembled was less than qualified. I feel like it was a little of an ego thing........where he may have wanted to be the smartest man in the room? I compare this with other head coaches (gibbs in particular), who assemble the best football minds in the business. And was humble enough to bring in Saunders to run the offense his last 2 years. Look below at the staff that was assembled:

Previous jobs

Sherman Smith.........running backs coach/asst. head coach at Tenn.

*well thought of in Tennessee, but not thought of nearly enough because he has remained running backs coach his entire career. Quoted as saying he wasn't ready to call plays in the NFL before he came.

Stump Mitchell..........running backs coach

*another running backs coach at Seattle and fills the same need on this staff.

Chris Meidt...............head coach St. Olaf College

*No pro football coaching experience

Stan Hixon...............holdover from the gibbs era

*wide receiver coach lifer

Scott Wachenheim.....college off. coordinator

*No pro football coaching experience

Bugel.......................holdover from Gibbs as well

*need I give his credentials? But the way the line has performed in recent years (inconsistent would be me being nice). Also his age and the fact that he is crazier than a football bat doesn't make me think "offensive guru."

compare this to the D staff.................which you can do on your own

My feeling is that Zorn and his staff are in way over their head and he has a staff of yes men that don't have the credentials or the experience to help.............

he brought in everyone but Bugel and Hixon. the defensive side of the ball was in place and who wouldn't have wanted Blache and Gray heading up that defense? Both have been D coordinators for other teams (bears and bills). They were both proven commodities. But the D is for another discussion......

Danny and Vinny strapped Jim to the staff he could could assemble. And, that has handicapped the kind of coaching staff he would have ideally like to have assembled.

Personally, I like Stan Hixon, and Joe Bugel ... But, they are not well versed with WCO and I would have replaced them. Stan has yet to demonstrate that he is a good WR coach. The fact that Kelly, Thomas, and Marko are still an after thought in our offense is indication enough.

Granted Kelly and Thomas did havetheir own issues... But, come on!

They were both proven commodities. But the D is for another discussion......

Head coaches are usually allowed to appoint their own coordinators.

It didn't happen here b/c Danny wanted to have his fun assembling the assistant coaching staff w/ out a head coach to get in the way.

It wouldn't have been as fun to afford the future head coach such a privilege.

Danny and Vinny strapped Jim to the staff he could could assemble. And, that has handicapped the kind of coaching staff he would have ideally like to have assembled.

Personally, I like Stan Hixon, and Joe Bugel ... But, they are not well versed with WCO and I would have replaced them. Stan has yet to demonstrate that he is a good WR coach. The fact that Kelly, Thomas, and Marko are still an after thought in our offense is indication enough.

Granted Kelly and Thomas did havetheir own issues... But, come on!

I agree that Dan and Vinny are the ultimate problems but they allowed Zorn to hire Meidt, Wachenheim, Mitchell, and Smith......Snyder is a mess but Zorn had control over the rest of his offensive staff (sans Bugel & Hixon). What I want to know is if Zorn was overconfident in himself and just asked all of his old friends to join the party?

You know I was actually thinking about this on the way home from work when I heard about the Lewis hire.

And to add to that, the three jobs he holds. I mean, what does an OC really do for us ATM? Other than making sure the Coach knows what the play clock is on?

I am starting to thinking a real OC would be a good addition, especially if he could call most of the plays. Even if they are from JZ's playbook.

wahhhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh

Always the same ****. Players are never accountable...

What the hell are you talking about......I'm not saying the players aren't accountable for some of the failure. If we had some coaches in here (offensively speaking) that knew what they were doing we may see more success. I will say that it isn't Zorn's fault the O line is rubbish.....but it is his fault for hiring a bunch of guys that are in way over their head.

I think Zorn's hands were tied by Vinny and Danny. Most other head coaches would have turned down the job if they could not pick their assistant coaches. I agree that except for Bugel the rest of the staff are real lightweights and now when Zorn needs more answers he won't get them from his inexperienced staff.

Archived