Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Absent Strategy: Where's the Screen Game?

armada58

One of the hallmarks of a West Coast Offense is an inventive Screen Game. RB Screens, WR Screens, TE Screens....... All run from different formations with different looks to keep the defenses guessing. Zorn's West Coast seems to be missing this. (Except for the same tired TE Screen Pass that Zorn calls over and over again. Or the WR Screen to Moss in the red zone that fools NOBODY.)

Now, I understand that screen passes are not a good strategy to use against a team running the Tampa 2 Defense. So my comments are not specific to yesterdays win (yes, we did win) against Tampa. My observation is based on the entirety of Zorn's work. I just don't see the screen game as an integral parts of this offense, which it should be. Look at the teams running a pure WCO, like The Eagles. They always have several screens to multiple players/postions every week.

There's quite a bit that is wrong with the offense. I believe that our screen game is severely lacking and happens to be a major issue. It is not a cure-all or "the missing link". However, a more effective screen game could help us on the scoreboard, get Campbell some easy completions, get other players beside Cooley & Moss involved in the passing game, and provide an added dimension to our offensive strategy.

It's funny, but weren't there a lot of screen plays in yesterday's game?...Maybe it just felt as if there were lol...

He called the same TE Screen a couple times to both Cooley & Fred Davis. So he did call it, but he calls that one EVERY game. No imagination.

We must have run 4 or 5 TE screens yesterday. Not seen the bubble screen to Santana for a while mind.

We have not been running screens because teams have been getting pressure with 4 or 5 man rushes and not needed to blitz. Tough to make a screen work against a cover 2 shell behind a 4 man rush.

It's funny, but weren't there a lot of screen plays in yesterday's game?...Maybe it just felt as if there were lol...

If memory serves correct, Zorn ran a similar screen play to the right 3 times--once to Betts, once to Cooley, and once to Davis. I think the screens to Betts and Cooley were productive, but the one to Davis was not. And I think they were all in the same drive (or close to it). I can't remember any other screens they ran.

He called the TE screen about 4 or 5 times actually. We seriously need to throw to our backs and not just on check downs. I liked the pass to sellers, it looked like it was designed to go to him. I'd like to see more of that, plus It would be nice to see Aldridge get a chance or two to catch a pass out of the backfield.

If memory serves correct, Zorn ran a similar screen play to the right 3 times--once to Betts, once to Cooley, and once to Davis. I think the screens to Betts and Cooley were productive, but the one to Davis was not. And I think they were all in the same drive (or close to it). I can't remember any other screens they ran.

yeah, that could be...might be why I thought a bunch were called in the game if they all came on the same drive.

And whatever happened to the WR screen to Santana that use to work so well his first year in DC? We need to incorporate that play into the gameplan again.

He's dialed that up a few times as well. It doesnt work in the redzone anymore. Need to throw in the endzone like JC did to Cooley yesterday.

And whatever happened to the WR screen to Santana that use to work so well his first year in DC? We need to incorporate that play into the gameplan again.

It's in there, but it's the same play every time. Hell, if we see it coming before it happens what do you think defenses are doing? They know it's coming before Zorn even calls the play.

Archived