Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

Awesome

Spearfeather pretty much summed up my rise to fandom. I was a casual fan as a kid during the Allen years. But that 1979 game sealed it for me.

After that I became a die hard Skins fan/Dallas hater and I've never looked back. :)

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Because I will tell it like it is.

My father often chided me as a child to "not be so vocal" in supporting the Redskins. He often told me to wait until the games were played to talk about things.

I have always disagreed with his philosophy.

That has always been the point of contention between many Cowboys fans and myself.

To me the A-typical Cowboy fan waits until the game has been played and then says "I told you so".

They never venture on a limb to support their team, but are among the greatest a Monday morning QB's.

Call me a homer. Call me whatever you wish, but I believe that each time we touch the ball we will march right down the field and score.

I also believe that we will dtop the opposition each time the ball is in thier posession.

Guest SPACESKINS

Was born and raised in D.C..Loved the city and the people.Became a Redskins fan when I was 5.

Left D.C. when I was 15 and went to Baltimore.That place sucked!

Most people in Baltimore hate the Redskins.

Currently live in Atlanta.I don't care about the Falcoons,I bleed BURGUNDY & GOLD FOREVER!!!

-----------------------------

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------

:notworthy

Born and Bred, simple as that!

I knew the words to "Hail to the Redskins" even before I really knew what a touchdown was, so will my kid!

I knew that:

Curt Knight was a "flat-footed *&^%$$!@" and that

Mike Thomas should be "hung for holding out" and that

"Larry Brown is the greatest Redskin ever (at the time)" ..............

all thanks to my Dad!

When I started thinking on my own, I was rooting for Billy over Sonny. I only did that to be different and of course the old man was right!

As I said, "Born and Bred!"

My dad was a big skins fan, and even though I grew up in Tennessee, the skins were the local market team on TV. We spent many great Sunday afternoons cheering on the Redskins. He died during the 81 season, and their first Superbowl victory was strange, I was extremely happy, yet sad at the same time.

I now am sharing the family tradition with my boys!

My grandpa lives in the area. When I was 8 years old he sent me a Redskins hat and sweatshirt. That started the intrigue, I have been a fan ever since. I live in Nevada and most of my friends were either fans of the 49ers, Raiders or Broncos. I am the only true Redskins fan that I have ever run across out here and that makes me proud. I was watching the Redskins Cowboys game last Thanksgiving at my sister's house in L.A. I guess that me watching the game with my daughter and yelling at TV must have brought back some memories for my sister because after the game she presented me with a picture of my father and 4 of his friends all dressed up in Redskins stuff and watching a game. The strange thing is that I never knew he was a fan, I never even knew him. He died 25 years ago while my mother was pregnant with me. As a family we don't really talk about him or what he was like because it makes my mother and sister extremely sad so I guess that is why I never knew that he was a fan. Maybe that was something that they just forgot about him, I don’t really know. My sister tells me that he used to watch games every weekend with these 4 friends and was a die hard Redskins fan just like our grandfather and myself. After thinking about it I'd like to say that being a Redskins fan was the something that my real father gave me or impressed upon me somehow. Maybe he was whispering it in my ear while I was in my mom's stomach just like some of you are doing now, TK421 included.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Born in DC, its the only way to be. I always say that after I was born the Redskins started reaching greatness with a Super Bowl victory shortly after my 1st bday and 2 more over the next decade. I still will never forget the excitement I had in 4th grade as the Redskins squashed the schedule and beat the Bills easily to win Super Bowl 26

I was around 4 or 5 when my father moved back Northern Virginia after his tour in Korea. He use to watch Redskin Games and he passed it on to me. It has been an obsesion for me for over 25 years. :cheers:

Just read my signature line. :applause:

My induction to 'Redskin-ism' was more of a 'bludgeoning' than an induction.

When I started to watch football (in '86), it was because my parents watched it and were Skins fans (well, Dad is a Green Bay fan, but living in Maryland, we got all of the Skins games). So I was a victim of regional coverage shaping what team I liked...(not that I'm complaining).

RFK, stacked parking, smell of hot dogs( the unmistakable mustard, the hype before each game, with Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, James Brown, and the Beetles in the background, tailgaters, "Program, get your program", the bets among all the big names in the local area - to include Senators, Congressmen, a visit from the President, the Cheerleaders, East Capitol bumper to bumper, Eastern High School fence crew (D.C. Jail believe it or not had a nice view), Washington Post pictures before and after the game, barbecuing in the neighborhoods near RFK, the announcers voice, "and now, the Washington Redskins", Star Spangled Banner blaring all the way to Lincoln Park, at kickoff streets are quite, the noise deafening to a fever pitch, Bobby Mitchell's record pace, Huff's hits, the run back by Richie Harris or the tackle by Chris Hanburger, the throw on first down by Sonny Jurgenson and his touch, the catch by Charley Taylor for a first down, the run by Larry Brown, the punt return by Mike Nelms. the interception by Paul Krause or "Little" Pat Fischer, the shout from Lombardi, the finger licking by George Allen, Kilmer's winning wobbles, the calm of Joe Gibbs, the crowd dances so hard the stadium rocks, the monster run by Riggins, the raunchy finish by Larry Brown, the thump from Dave Butz for no gain, the swim moves of Dexter Manley, the motion of Art Monk, Thiesmann's romps and play calling, the triumph of the Fun Bunch, the laser guided tackles of Ken Houston and Ken Harvey, the speed of Darrell Green, the touch of Doug Williams, the patience of Daryl Grant, the attitude of Gary Clark, the smash by Lavar Arrington....,

Aw cmon, I could go on and on :laugh:

You remember that song (Linda Ronstat covered it, I can't remember the original) "Just One Look, That's All It Took"?

In 1967, when I was 12, my dad took me to a Redskins game against the Cowboys. The Skins lost in the last minute on a touchdown pass from Don Meredith to Dan Reeves.

The loss didn't matter. The whole scene at what was then DC Stadium, the performance of Sonny, Charley Taylor, Jerry Smith and the rest got me hooked right then and there.

Archived