Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the lines, too...

Renegade7

Our O-line and D-line got completely manhandled in this game today. The more I think about it, the more I realize that that has as much of an effect on the whole team as it does on the playcalling. We can't run right because we have a horrible center, and backup at RG, and a below average starting RT. We couldn't run at all because our o-line individually where getting beaten one on one over and over again.

JC under deress a lot of the game, but still threw up 340 yards passing today. We have the #10 passing offense and are #10 at yards per pass. Jason has the #10 passer rating in the entire NFL at 92.5 and is 4th in passing yards in the entire league. After further review, it's fair to say that the offense is being more held back by the fact we can't control the line of scrimage then it is Zorn not being able to figure out a way around it.

And the D-line is what's forcing us to play back like we are. Haynesworth is in their so little, that we might as well have the same defense as last year. And even when he's in, he gets doubled or tripled and our other d-line players are still getting thrown off the line one-on-one. It's one thing if our d-line could get pressure, but because it can't, we have to make sure we don't get beat deep.

I know I said that Zorn needs to be gone after the Lions game if we lose, but the truth is this: with a revamped o-line and d-line, we will be a helluva lot better then if we blow the whole thing up. Again. The expectations for this team came from the amout of talent on the roster. But that talent is not found where it is needed most, the lines, and it's causing us to lose football games.

We suck right now, and it's not souly Jim Zorn. It's not all on JC or Blache. It's a lack of talent on the offensive and defensive line and it's preventing us from doing what we really want to do. Good teams control the line of scrimage; we can't, and that's why we're not a good football team.

Fix the lines and give Zorn one more year. At least then we can say we're pretending to be a professional football franchise...

-The O-Line can make Holes for portis to run threw. He has no were to run besides back to the line of scrimage. All the running back talk about chage, anyone can run threw a big hole. A great O-line will make an average RB into a hose hold name. If there were holes portis would have much higher numbers.

-As you mentioned in JC stats, he is doing a good job, his numbers are was up.

-I feel the biggest problem is the Deffence. I may be wrong, but I think we have had 2 three and outs all year, if not then I know the number is very very low. That is a horrible stat for the D. They just cant get off the feild. This poor play by the Deffence, has taken me by suprize. No turnovers today, I just hope they get better, because its really hurting the team!!!!

I am extremely disappointed in the defense. We all knew the O-line was shaky at best going into the season. We finally addressed the D-line in the off season with Haynesworth, Jarmon and (theoretically) Orapko.

With those additions, and Halls playmaking ability once he gets the INT, I had visions of the turnover producing, scoring defense. Or at least a D that could give us good field position. A methodical, time killing 99 yard drive is not what I had I mind.

Here's the problem with not blaming Zorn though. He has to make adjustments. It's easy to say that we're not at full strength, that his schemes would work better if he had ideal personnel. When are you ever going to have your full complement of personnel to make it work?

He is adjusting somewhat, in that he isn't forcing the power running game. However, Kelly, Thomas and Davis all had catches for 1st downs today, and then we never went back to them. Why not run a quick bubble screen with Thomas? Two tight end set on the goaline, then run play action on 4th and 1? They are trying to get Kelly involved more, which is good, but if the opposing defense takes something away, it seems to take Zorn far too long to make his own adjustments.

Last week, Cooley killed, the Lions obviously made him the center of attention this week, and we struggled all first half until someone told Zorn the Lions couldn't cover Santana. Why did it take so long?

I agree the lines are problematic, but so is the coaching, imo.

I am extremely disappointed in the defense. We all knew the O-line was shaky at best going into the season. We finally addressed the D-line in the off season with Haynesworth, Jarmon and (theoretically) Orapko.

With those additions, and Halls playmaking ability once he gets the INT, I had visions of the turnover producing, scoring defense. Or at least a D that could give us good field position. A methodical, time killing 99 yard drive is not what I had I mind.

Here's the problem with not blaming Zorn though. He has to make adjustments. It's easy to say that we're not at full strength, that his schemes would work better if he had ideal personnel. When are you ever going to have your full complement of personnel to make it work?

He is adjusting somewhat, in that he isn't forcing the power running game. However, Kelly, Thomas and Davis all had catches for 1st downs today, and then we never went back to them. Why not run a quick bubble screen with Thomas? Two tight end set on the goaline, then run play action on 4th and 1? They are trying to get Kelly involved more, which is good, but if the opposing defense takes something away, it seems to take Zorn far too long to make his own adjustments.

Last week, Cooley killed, the Lions obviously made him the center of attention this week, and we struggled all first half until someone told Zorn the Lions couldn't cover Santana. Why did it take so long?

I totally agree with you about us not adjusting durring the game. The coaching staff is gonna have to step up there game here real soon as well.

With our D, it has to be the coach, Blanche.

It's the same group of guys, with upgrades. Big Al is doing his job clogging the middle, CR and LL are doing fine, London is still great. Nobody on our D seems out of place, except Rak which is understandable.

And we can't stop the Lions long drives on us?

We have the players, even if they aren't all-world as we like to think they are. It's up to Blanche to put players where they can shine, and put it all together. Instead we get lame schemes the rest of the league knows all too well and eats for breakfast.

On our O, yeah the expiration date for our O-Line was sometime 2007. Add a mediocre at best QB, and it is what it is.

Both lines were manhandled today.

It was bad. Not only did we lose to a team that was winless in 19 attempts, but we got smacked around while doing it. It reminds me of last year when Cinci and the 49ers beat us around like prison ****es. Teams know they can push us arond and nothing will come back at them.

I hear you, and I feel you one Zorn. And that's why I wish he'd try giving up playcalling for a game, just to see how it works and be able to focus on gathering information from his coaching staff to help win football games. He's trying to do too much, and it's causing him to miss a lot.

Also, I want to add the Lions played a helluva football game. They're definetly more competitive then they were last year and were not an 0-19 team. They were an 0-2 team playing at home.

Both lines were manhandled today.

It was bad. Not only did we lose to a team that was winless in 19 attempts, but we got smacked around while doing it. It reminds me of last year when Cinci and the 49ers beat us around like prison ****es. Teams know they can push us arond and nothing will come back at them.

This loss reminded me of the 06 loss to the Titans who happened to be coached by Jim Schwartz in that game as well. What is funny is that there have been a couple of coaches who interviewed here in Washington, yet seemingly "were not good enough" to be the coach of our team so other teams took what we didn't and have done really well for themselves. I don't blame Zorn all that much. It is really more the fact that the team is really being run by the players because Snyder doesn't want his coaches coming down on players. It is really sad because this team is too undisciplined to win and the only one that Dan Snyder can blame is staring him in the mirror.

With our D, it has to be the coach, Blanche.

It's the same group of guys, with upgrades. Big Al is doing his job clogging the middle, CR and LL are doing fine, London is still great. Nobody on our D seems out of place, except Rak which is understandable.

And we can't stop the Lions long drives on us?

We have the players, even if they aren't all-world as we like to think they are. It's up to Blanche to put players where they can shine, and put it all together. Instead we get lame schemes the rest of the league knows all too well and eats for breakfast.

On our O, yeah the expiration date for our O-Line was sometime 2007. Add a mediocre at best QB, and it is what it is.

Doing his job to clog the middle? Did you see how many times they gutted right around and behind him today, with triple, double, sometimes every single team coverage? I don't know if you can, but you gotta watch the game again to see what we're talking about. Every individual d-line player outside Albert was getting beaten by their man the majority of the snaps whether they liked it or not. And when he came out, we're were basicly the same defense as last year, if not worse, and completely powerless.

Archived