Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at the Game Against the Rams

TSO

Thanks for all the kind words guys, but for this thread to end up on the third page after only one day when threads like "Mike Shanahan for Head Coach in 2010", "Hindsight is 20/20 but don't we sure miss Cutler? Sanchez? Even Vick?", "What Does Sherman Smith Do?", "So if we're still in a need to draft a franchise QB in 2010, who is the guy?" manage to stay for days and weeks makes me feel like I was right not to do this the last couple of weeks, lol.

Not to sound all deserving and whatnot, but this takes some time and this board is making it harder and harder to write up legitimate Redskins football analysis we can really discuss. It really is nice to see the same guys respond here who feel the same, but it's also sad to see if you know what I mean. It's just us, lol.

Oh well, this'll serve as a bump too. Hopefully some others will get to read it and calm down. :)

I think Rabach gets beaten and pushed back a yard or two on 80% of plays. I think thomas may retire. After three years of injuries i dont see him continuing. So with that said next year a new big freeagent center.

I would love this, honestly. Casey gets pushed back way too much, though he plays hard and rarely whiffs on a block, but if we upgraded there we would definitely see improvement in both the running game and passing game automatically.

I was honestly hoping to see Will Montgomery make a push in practice to take over for him as the year went by. If you read my "closer look" thread about the Pats preseason game I talk a lot about Casey and how I feel.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, but for this thread to end up on the third page after only one day when threads like "Mike Shanahan for Head Coach in 2010", "Hindsight is 20/20 but don't we sure miss Cutler? Sanchez? Even Vick?", "What Does Sherman Smith Do?", "So if we're still in a need to draft a franchise QB in 2010, who is the guy?" manage to stay for days and weeks makes me feel like I was right not to do this the last couple of weeks, lol.
It's too bad threads like this sometimes gets drowned in a sea of irrationality...but that's ES for you!
Not to sound all deserving and whatnot, but this takes some time and this board is making it harder and harder to write up legitimate Redskins football analysis we can really discuss. It really is nice to see the same guys respond here who feel the same, but it's also sad to see if you know what I mean. It's just us, lol.

Oh well, this'll serve as a bump too. Hopefully some others will get to read it and calm down. :)

Great analysis of the game! I agree the play calling wasn't as bad as some people said it was. After all, we were moving the ball quite well, had over 360+ yards in offense, controlled the clock, and won the game inspite of not scoring a touchdown. Like you said, most of the failures in the redzone came down to lack of execution.

Great post man! Campbell in the shotgun and hurry-up is effective as hell. Hopefully Zorn puts him in this position ALOT more. And Moss is slowly starting to piss me off with his overall effort. It really is like he could care less about being out there lately.

you're right. I said this on another thread. That Moss has lost his fire. He is just picking up a paycheck.

Marko needs to replace him as the starter because Marko has fire in his Belly.

Finally a bit of sanity on this board. You not only state your opinions but back it up with real analysis. thank you for the detailed analysis of the game. I too was there and I felt that the Skins played very well and was very happy with them, especially in the 4th quarter.

I pretty much agree with all of your assessments man.

I went back and watched the game myself and I'm not nearly as down as I was on Sunday & Monday. What it came down to for me upon rewatching the game, is that we should've/would've and could've easily finished this game with 24-28 points, maybe even 35.

What went wrong, in a nutshell is we shot ourselves in the foot over and over again. We had the dropped passes by Sellers & D. Thomas, both of which would've went for TDs. The Sellers drop was a little worse because he wasn't covered like a blanket like D. Thomas was and Campbell put the ball right into his numbers. That being said, this is the NFL and Thomas is expected to make catches like that, especially in the red zone.

On another red zone play, Portis got a quick shovel pass from JC and tried to break left into the end zone, rewatching the game, I noticed that the right side was wide open with only a safety or LB on the goal line that CP could've beat. Just another misstep.

Obviously everyone also remembers the Santana fumble and us getting stopped by the Rams late in the 4th while trying to punch it in.

Defensively, we did the same kind of self-defeating screw-ups. In the 1st, we should've had the ball that Rocky popped loose and Andre recovered inside the red zone, but we got called on a questionable roughing the passer by Orakpo and Kedric. Re-watching, the call was still questionable but at the same time Orakpo could've avoided the contact altogether and we'd have yet another opportunity to score a TD.

We got beat on a lot of 3rd downs defensively, more than I'd like to see us get beat on but even if the defense played exactly like it did on Sunday and the offense tightened up its play, we would've come out of there with a blowout victory.

Right now if I'm Jim Zorn, I would be screaming at my team about the little mistakes that are killing this offense. Take those away and we've got a defense that stops people when it must and an offense that can put 21-28 points on the board a game, and that's all you need.

If I'm Blache, I'd be screaming at my defense to get off the field on 3rd down and give the offense more opportunities.

The good news about all of this (hopefully) is that these things are happening now and not later in the season so we have time to fix the mistakes that are costing (or almost costing) us games. I'd look for the team to rebound this week and play what should be close to a mistake-free game, if that happens the Lions don't stand a chance. If we continue to make the same mistakes, it's going to be another close nail-biter that will have us all frustrated.

Obviously we can move the ball as you witnessed with all of the 8-10 play drives the we sustained last week, the next step is to finish those drives and get the TD.

Archived