Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spokane, WA: Mental Hospital Patient/Convicted Killer Escapes after trip to Co. Fair

ljs

Unfreakin belivable.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11151502&nav=menu438_1

Deputies: Escaped killer may have left fairgrounds

SPOKANE - An Eastern State Hospital patient committed for murder has escaped from facility staff during a trip to the Spokane County Interstate Fair. Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies say Phillip A. Paul could attack without provocation. As of 3:30 p.m. deputies say they believe Paul has left the fairgrounds.

Paul walked away from the hospital staff Thursday afternoon around 1 p.m. Hospital staff had taken a group of patients on a field trip to the fair. Later in the afternoon, a business owner near the fairgrounds told deputies that he spotted a man matching Paul's description. Paul is 47 years old, 5'8'', 207 lbs., with brown hair and a goatee. He is wearing a red windbreaker and blue shirt and is carrying a backpack.

Paul strangled 78-year-old Ruth Mottley of Sunnyside in 1987 and buried her outside her home. He told investigators that voices in his head lead him to believe the victim was a witch who needed to die. Paul was found not guilty by reason of insanity and was committed to Eastern State Hospital.

Deputies say Paul is schizophrenic and classified as criminally insane. He was hospitalized at Eastern following the murder of Ruth Mottley, released for a short time and then re-committed. Paul also has a criminal background in Spokane County, as well as a history of escape and assault.

KHQ has attempted to contact an Eastern State Hospital spokesperson. No one with the hospital was available for comment and a public information officer with the hospital has referred all questions to law enforcement. The Spokane County Sheriff's Office said it had nothing to do with the organization of the hospital field trip.

KHQ also talked to fair organizers. They said they were not awared that Eastern had planned a field trip with its patients to the fair.

Continue to follow KHQ.com and KHQ Local News at 5 and 6 for team coverage on this story.

I just saw this made Fox news. I can tell you that everyone around here is thoroughly pissed off right now about this. He may be headed to his parents house- a town in Central Washington. I read those local papers and of course that community is outraged as well. Then we find out the hospital staff waited nearly 2 hours before telling anyone he was missing.

The last time he escaped, he assualted a deputy who apprehended him. And the conviction doesn't matter- he still killed the woman, he is still crazy. He is a danger to society, and I am absolutley stunned this happened.

oh- and the hospital says they take patients on fields trips. That's fine and all- but don't take dangerous people out.

If you've ever lived in Spokane, this article would make a bit more sense to you.

huh? I'm not sure what you are saying here. Everyone should be concerned. From everything I'm reading on this- sounds like it's a common practice for hospitals like this- in their attempt to reintroduce guys like this to society.

anyway, the school district tried to protect the kids the best they could yesterday and took everyone right to heir house, even those who normally walk. Kudos to them.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11152937&nav=menu438_2

West Valley school district representative says the district implemented door-to-door bus routes for all elementary students. Those who usually walk home were brought to the gym and instructed to call parents to come get them.

For those kids who weren't able to get their parents to come get them, busses doubled-back on their routes to take those kids to their doorstep.High school and middle school students were primarily impacted by changes to the route and schedule of the activities bus. The district brought in extra busses to do door-to-door drop-offs for kids coming home late from sports or other activities.

I think I can stop you right there, and again ask, what the hell were they doing taking him to a fair?! :doh:

and that is exactly what the entire community is saying. The news message boards are blowing up over this. People are seriously outraged, rightfully so.

They have a police helicopter looking for him. And about that last escape- after injuring the deputy that arrested him, he fought with a jailer- throwing him into a wall and shattering his shoulder. We can only pray he is captured before someone gets hurt.

Archived