Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where are the leaders on this team?

skinsfan93

Watching the interviews after the game, I couldn't help but keep hearing players and coaches talk about how this was just one game, the first game of the season. The attitude was almost nonchalant about the loss. I heard the same things last year. We got to eliminate the mistakes, learn from them, take advantage when we can, blah, blah, blah.

Granted I wasn't in the locker room so maybe the attitude from certain players was different. Maybe there were guys who were pissed off and took this loss to heart. Maybe there were guys who realized how big of a statement game this 'first' game could have been. How this game could have set the tone for the entire season.

Now I realize in today's world of high-priced athletes and prima donnas, it is sometimes more about the player than the overall team. But to me, this is football and more than any other sport, you need leaders. Guys who will step up, call out players when needed, motivate a teammate to perform better, and be a role model for how others should perform. Do we have any of those players? Where is our Ray Lewis?

I think Haynesworth can be that type of player but he is brand new to the team. Hopefully he will evolve into it more as the season goes on. However on offense, I don't see the type of leader we need especially from our generic, candy-like speaking quarterback.

I know this one game doesn't make or break our season and I am generally optimistic we will have a huge game next week. But part of me just thinks until we have guys who step up and become the necessary leaders, we will fall back into the team we were the 2nd half of last year...one that is talented but can't put it all together consistently.

What would you like, the chicken little reaction that occurs on this board every day?? It was one game, against a team that won the super bowl 2 years ago, started 11-1 last year, and has been to the playoffs like 5 straight years. The defense did a lot of good things, especially considering how long they were on the field. The offense looked avegage as ususal, but they giants have a tremendous d. Now if we score 17 points next week vs Rams then somebody needs to get pissed off, but not yet

Archived