Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Times: Redskins' Orakpo No Regular Rookie

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Click Link for Full Article

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/11/redskins-orakpo-no-regular-rookie/

SUGAR LAND' date=' Texas

Gloria Orakpo already could see signs her eldest son was on the way to success. He was thriving athletically and academically and adept at avoiding some of the trouble entering the family's neighborhood in southwest Houston.

But 13-year-old kids want what other 13-year-old kids have, and Brian Orakpo was no different.

He wanted Nike's latest sneaker.

Problem was, Orakpo already had advanced to men's-size shoes, which meant that while his friends' parents were paying $89, his own parents had to cough up $169.

"I was wearing old-fashioned, busted shoes," he said. "I wanted to step my game up."

Orakpo pleaded with his mom for the money.

"He really begged, and I said, 'No, not this time,' " Mrs. Orakpo said.

Hours later, she returned home from her job as a caseworker for Harris County Children's Protective Services and Brian handed her $80.

In one day, he had mowed four lawns for $20 apiece. He got the shoes.[/quote']

I'm probably late to the party but i didn't know until that article that Orakpo's highschool team was The Redskins. It was just meant to be.

Yeah, I remember hearing him mention that prior to the draft, I think, during the combine maybe.

Regardless, that was a very good read, and his work ethic is evident. I hope it all pays off for Orakpo and the Redskins.

Yeah, I remember hearing him mention that prior to the draft, I think, during the combine maybe.

Regardless, that was a very good read, and his work ethic is evident. I hope it all pays off for Orakpo and the Redskins.

A fantastic read. Along with the Redskins.com artlicle how can you not be excited about Orakpo? I think the most important person on our D this year will be Andre Carter though. With Big Al and Orakpo coming from one side, all the attention will be over there and Carter SHOULD be able to light it up this year.

Even Blache, who generally has no use for rookies, has been impressed.

"[The Giants] might be surprised by what they see from him," he said Thursday. "I have no reservations about starting him. As far as having rookies start, I don't look at him as a regular rookie."

Translation: Blache loves Orakpo more than a stripper.

"But I don't fall in love with rookies. You're better to fall in love with a stripper than a rookie, because they'll break your heart. They really will."

I thought LL was a can't-miss player and person for us, and he's been a solid player, and by some reports, a rather lazy person, but orakpo, I'd be shocked if he didn't develop into a flat out star, and a man whom kids can look up to...

Archived