76 yds

4.8 ypa

0TD

0INT

2Sacks

23Sackyds

63.5 rtg

2runs 26yds 13.0avg 0Tds

Yes, there are factors like roster turnover, gameplanning, coaches, anything else you can list....

Ah, but the entire TEAM tends to fail against NE...until last night...:D

This year's New England team is nowhere near what is was in '07. We should be proud of how our team performed--Jason in particular--but let's temper that excitement with the knowledge that the Patriots aren't quite what they were last time we played them.

This year's New England team is nowhere near what is was in '07. We should be proud of how our team performed--Jason in particular--but let's temper that excitement with the knowledge that the Patriots aren't quite what they were last time we played them.

I'm down with that. But in '06, their WR corp was nowhere near the level of Moss, Welker, and now Galloway. This has nothing to do with JC, but still...

I'm down with that. But in '06, their WR corp was nowhere near the level of Moss, Welker, and now Galloway. This has nothing to do with JC, but still...

More to my point, the Pats defense is less impressive than it was two seasons ago. This may account for some of Jason's production increase. Either way, they are still a very good team and I think the first team offense's play in the first half is a reason for optimism.

Possibly, but they've got a lot of the same starters. In fact, all of the key starters from the '07 team we played are back this year except for Asante Samuel, Vrabel, and maybe Rodney Harrison, including the entire starting offense. Sure Welker didn't play, but neither did Carlos Rogers so that's a bit of a wash. And one could argue that the loss of Samuel, Vrabel and Bruschi is offset by the acquisition and development of Brandon Merriweather and Jerrod Mayo--who are both studs--and the acquisitions of promising young corners like Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite. Not only that, last season Vince Wilfork became a true force as one of the league's best NTs and Seymour is back and healthy which I think was an issue in '07. This Patriots team is on par with that incredible '07 team, and frankly their defense is far more athletic and intimidating than it was that year.

We did very well against them last night. If it wasn't for our sloppy play, costly penalties, and that killer turnover, we'd have beaten them. Let's not sell ourselves short either. Sure you can say it's the preseason and they weren't clicking yet, but then the same thing can be said about us.

More to my point, the Pats defense is less impressive than it was two seasons ago. This may account for some of Jason's production increase. Either way, they are still a very good team and I think the first team offense's play in the first half is a reason for optimism.

How so? I think it's far better now. They were killing us on the run, something they struggled with in '07. Merriweather was a rookie in '07 and only played in spots and he's a developed player now. He had something of a breakout season last year, and he's looking like an upper-echelon starter now. And adding the DROY Jerrod Mayo is a huge boon. I'd take him any of the day of the week over the 30 something Vrabel. Add to that Vince Wilfork's breakout '08 year where he became a truly dominant NT and one of the best in the league. The only significant loss was Asante Samuel, but they did well replacing him by getting a new platoon that includes Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, and Terrence Wheatley. Not to mention Darius Butler was one of the best corner prospects in the draft that they were able to nab in the second and they have some real promise at the position.

The Patriots '07 defense was not actually that great. Not only are they better in the short term than they were in '07, they are better set up for the future as well.

Pats D now is a shell of their former self. Not even close to the same team. Their offense is still the best in the NFL. Can't imagine how bad we would have got lit up if Welker was playing.

Left Defensive End94 Ty Warren76 Stephen Williams Nose Tackle75 Vince Wilfork99 Mike Wright92 Ron Brace

62 Titus Adams

69 Darryl RichardRight Defensive End93 Richard Seymour97 Jarvis Green91 Myron PryorOutside Linebacker58 Pierre Woods49 Derrick Burgess

95 Tully Banta-Cain45 Rob NinkovichInside Linebacker51 Jerod Mayo52 Eric Alexander46 Paris LenonInside Linebacker54 Tedy Bruschi59 Gary Guyton50 Vinny CiurciuOutside Linebacker96 Adalius Thomas98 Shawn Crable53 Tyrone McKenzieLeft Cornerback29 Shawn Springs22 Terrence Wheatley28 Darius ButlerRight Cornerback23 Leigh Bodden24 Jonathan Wilhite27 Herana-Daze JonesStrong Safety31 Brandon Meriweather25 Pat Chung43 Roderick Rogers

38 Jamar LoveFree Safety36 James Sanders

So you are saying that with all these players the New England defense is no good? Now i know you are a Campbell hater, so if colt put on a performance like JC you would probably be saying how underrated their d is. Oh and Carlos didnt play either so screw Welker.

Pats D now is a shell of their former self. Not even close to the same team. Their offense is still the best in the NFL. Can't imagine how bad we would have got lit up if Welker was playing.

Or Carlos Rogers could have completely shut him down. And their defense is better now than it was in 2007. It was better in '08, and it has improved this offseason. Read my posts.

Archived